Any help with deciding a breed? Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Kyle, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Kyle

Kyle New Member

Name:
    Kyle

Any help with deciding a breed?

Hey what's up everyone!

So first post here, but I have been considering getting a dog for some time now and I have decided to go through with it but I am struggling to pick a breed. I have been looking into the doberman, German short haired pointer, Rhodesian ridgeback, and boxer.

I am looking for a big dog around 55-80 pounds. I really like the muscular build the dogs I mentioned above have. I want a dog who is playful and energetic but will also lay around and watch football all Sunday. I also would like an affectionate and loyal dog that will cuddle and lay at my feet. I am prepared and would love to take my dog to the dog park and on hiking trails to let him off leash a bit and really run(after properly trained of course). I want a dog who is friendly around people of all ages and dog friendly as well. I want him to be able to play with my family's other dogs that are in the weight range of 35-50 pounds. On top of the ability to meet a moderate to high physical demand I plan on house breaking and obedience training with my puppy. I want him to learn the basic commands on top of some extra obedience in terms of tricks and higher obedience.

As far as a little about me I am an active 20 year old male currently in school. I go to the gym 6 times a week and I have a lot of weekends free and I would love to bring my dog camping or on day trips to national parks or hiking trails. I am an easy going person and plan to give my dog plenty of love but I understand and am willing to be firm in training when needed. I also spend some time at my family lake house in the summer so a dog who is water friendly is a plus. I live in El Paso, Texas which is a desert climate with mountains few trees and little grass. Hot summers and gets down into the 30's during the winter.

I hope this gave you enough info and if you need some more to give a better suggestion just leave a comment and I will get an answer to you ASAP. Please any help you have will be appreciated if you know a breed that will fit my lifestyle and personality from what you got from this please don't hesitate to leave a comment! Thanks!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    CaroleC and GsdSlave like this.
    You mention you are in school. How long will the dog be alone each day? Any breed really isn't suited to be alone for extended periods of time though some cope better than others. Have you researched the breeds you listed above? You could Google the breeds and find a wealth of info. Good luck!
  4. Elana

Elana Member

Name:
    Elana
  5. Elana

Elana Member

Name:
    Elana
    GsdSlave and Karen87 like this.
    @Kyle

Hello and welcome to the Forum,

@Jcarpentier, raises a very important point Kyle.
    I am hearing that you are at school, that you are at the gym 6 days a week, and I am assuming that you have a healthy social life, and go out with friends often as well (which is all great :)).

HOWEVER, where does your future canine companion fit in?
    What does your Pup do all day long while you are at school? Where is he, when you are at the gym every afternoon, or gone out with friends in the evenings?

The breeds you've mentioned, are active, intelligent, and high energy dogs. These are all dogs that need to be kept busy and challanged, dogs who need jobs, lots of training and socialization, dogs who can't be crated for endless hours when you are away (not that any dog should be). Without all of the above mentioned, these dogs will become bored, unhappy, destructive, and possibly aggressive and antisocial.

This is not a 'lecture' :), this is the reality of having a dog in your life.

Pups, who will pee and poop on your carpets :confused::confused:, chew up your expensive new pair of Nikes, rip up your favorite $300 pair of jeans, then puke all over your bed :078: ,gnaw on your furniture, claw holes in the wall, bark when you're on the phone :091: , use your i-pad for a chew toy :mad:, eat electrical cords like pasta :oops:..... Are you starting to get the picture???

I love all dogs better than I like most people.... but they take a WHOLE LOT of time, a LOT of work, and ENDLESS amounts of patience.

I can see the eye roll now :roll:, chuckle....
    But please give my words some serious thought, they are meant kindly.

Peace out,

~Elana~
  6. Kyle

Kyle New Member

Name:
    Kyle
    Thanks to everyone who replied and when the time comes where I have enough money to purchase the dog and everything to start and to have some extra cash in case of an emergency I will modify my class schedule and take a couple online classes so my pup won't be alone for more than around 4-5 hours a day at the maximum. @Elana thank you for the vivid description and I am fully aware of the patience and frustration that will occur but I'm prepared to keep pushing. As far as my social life it is alright I just transferred here and I kind of plan on continuing my health journey and focusing on school. So, weekends are usually spent hanging around the house maybe playing basketball with my two roommates or watching football all weekend. Occasionally go out to watch a game or fight at a sports bar maybe but not too often. As so as far as time goes I think I will be able to spent a significant amount of time everyday with my pup. I have also done a decent amount of research on the breeds mentioned above I absolutely love the ridgeback look but I am a big fan of the intelligence and willing to please in the doberman. I am also pretty fond of the attachment that the GSP and Doberman considering I am looking for a loyal companion as well. I have been around boxers previously in my life and I think their human like qualities are unique and hilarious. I also currently live in a small house with a very small yard and there is potential I will be moving to a slightly bigger home with a normal sized backyard before I get a dog. Regardless of the backyard, in my current situation there is plenty of grassy areas right in front and around my house I could throw a ball or frisbee or just take out to go to the bathroom and it would be perfectly suitable. 8 however do plan on taking my dog to either a dog park, trail or field somewhere around 5-7 times a week to meet exercise requirements. And as far as the attention and mental stimulation goes like I mentioned above I plan on altering my class schedule to be home as much as possible and leave very little time for my pup to be alone. Again, thanks for the replies I LOVE the feedback and if one of the breeds I mentioned or perhaps a different breed in your opinion would mesh well with what I have told you about myself please let me know as I am still struggling to decide.
  7. Elana

Elana Member

Name:
    Elana
  8. Elana

Elana Member

Name:
    Elana
    @Kyle

Glad to hear back from you, and glad you didn't take my comments the wrong way :) as they were honest and well meant.

All four of the breeds you mention would do well with a "very active life style".
    All four will need space, early and on going socialization, and extensive training (obedience training is very important, and a great activity for both owners and dogs).

You mentioned that you have done research on these breeds. I would recommend doing more. Go to Dog Shows in your area, and talk to people. Don't be shy about asking questions, dozens of questions. Most dog people are more than happy to talk about their dogs, in fact some will never shut-up, lol.

Get in touch with breeders in your vicinity, and ask if you can visit because you are considering their breed, and would really like to meet their dogs.
    Again, ask lots of questions, and keep notes. Anything from their history and knowledge of the particular breed, to why they are breeding, the personality of their breeding dogs, health problems in the breed, the health of their own dogs, what health tests they do, previous litters and if you could talk to some of the owners. Ask about house training, socialization, diet, grooming, vaccinations, and anything else that pops to mind.

* A good breeder, should be able and more than willing to answer all of your questions, and ask quite a few questions of their own.

If they are reluctant to answer your questions, let you meet their dogs or visit their home, and or try to push puppies on you, I would thank them and go elsewhere (no matter how cute the puppies are, or what sad story these people try and feed you).

You will find, that as you meet the different breeds and get more and more information, one breed will begin to stand out in your mind as the ONE.

Good luck and have fun.

~Elana~

P.S. Have you ever considered the JRT ? :p
  9. doghiker

doghiker New Member

Name:
    Joshua
    hello. first post here.
    everytime I am asked what breed to get I always answer the same...

THE FEMALE GERMAN SHEPHERD is probably the world's most perfect pet.

they do everything well. they hardly ever fight. they love the owner and do anything they are asked to do. they are clean and have a great life span. they are dependable and hardly ever get into trouble at home. they are a great 'first dog' and do not require the formidable training which some of the tougher working breeds need. they will do chores for you without being trained to do so. besides the hip displaysia (sp?) they have good overall health although I am not a vet. everytime I meet a female german shepherd owner at a dog park I ask the same questions, and almost invariably get the same replies... they are the world's most perfect pet

I hope you decide to get a female shepherd.
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    In the correct hands yes, Gsd’s are no pushover and need a strong leadership, lots of time/commitment Oh! and a good Hoover.
  11. DogsRMyLife

DogsRMyLife New Member

Name:
    HappyDog
    @Kyle

I think a Staffordshire Bull terrier and a American Pit Bull Terrier might fit your life style if your county allows them. Or you might like a Labrador retriever or Golden Retriever. There smart and love to exercise and love being with people.
  12. muddymoodymoo

muddymoodymoo New Member

Name:
    muddymoodymoo
    Brachycephalic breed like boxer may not be a good choice for hot summers climate. Something you might need to research into further.

Are there any rescue shelters near you where you could regularly volunteer and thus experience the commitment dogs need from their owners? And perhaps pick up a few tips on care and training? And then when you get your dog you would have some hands-on knowledge rather than getting it off the internet. Not saying the internet is not a good place, but there is also a lot of conflicting and confusing advice.

Good luck and hope you come back here when you get your dog.