Any suggestions for me? Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by lozzibear, Aug 11, 2011.

1. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren

Any suggestions for me?

I'm not looking to get a dog right now, but I am wanting to start thinking about what kind of breed I would get, when I am in the position to. I have always said I will always get rescues, which I would definitely prefer to do, but I also would prefer a pup. I will probably end up getting a rescue pup of an unknown cross, like Jake :lol: but when the time gets closer, I might chose to go down another route, like getting an adult from a breed specific rescue.

Whether you have had dogs previously
    I had a BCxLab while I was growing up, then I got my Heinz, Jake. My family (aunts and uncles etc) have always had dogs, so I have always been around them.

Your circumstances – do you work etc?
    I work part-time just now (my longest shift is 6 hours, which is once a week and the rest are 3 hours) , but I currently live with my parents and they are in when I am at work. I will probably have moved out by the time I get a second dog, and given up my current job. I am hoping to start working full-time from home soon. It isn’t definite but I have an idea of something I am wanting to do, which will mean I work from home.

How much time you have for exercise
    I have lots of time for exercising a dog. Jake usually gets a minimum of 2 hours a day walking but he often gets longer than that, and if I manage to do what I want jobwise then this will be able to be continued. I currently can’t take Jake to agility because I work in the evenings, when the closest one is on, but again, if things work out how I want then I will be able to take them to agility. It doesn’t need to be essential for the dog to do agility though.

Whether you have children, other pets etc
    I don’t have any children, but I hope to in the future and my niece and nephew are a big part of my life, so a dog that is good with kids is a must (I know that can depend on how a dog is brought up). No other pets, apart from Jake.

What characteristics you are looking for
    Nothing too small, medium sized upwards. Jake is 25kg and reaches to the top of my knee (I think he is about 21/22in). So anything his size, or up… not too big though :lol: An active breed, that is happy to go long walks but can also chill when in the house… nothing too manic! I don’t want a breed that is known for being noisy. I don’t mind a dog that needs a bit of grooming, but don’t want a coat that is too difficult to manage… just a groom and no more :lol: The coat length doesn’t matter, nor does how much the dog sheds… Jake is a constant shedder anyway :roll: :lol: I would prefer a dog that can be let off lead, I know that can be a training issue, but some breeds are known for being worse than others. I don’t want a breed that is really difficult to train, but I quite like a challenge ;) so they don’t need to be easy either… a nice inbetween :lol: I don’t want a stubborn breed though.

What other breeds you have already looked at and your thoughts on them
    I like lots of breeds, and have a few in mind, but just wanted to know what breeds others thought would be suitable.

Anything else you think might be relevant or important
    Can't think of anything just now, but I am sure I have missed something :lol:

Thanks for any suggestions! :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Have you considered getting a young Labrador from a breed specific rescue? Your criteria definitely seem to fit a Lab :)

Or a Golden Retriever?

Both breeds are usually wonderful around children and once they have a good recall can be let off leash, they're normally good with other dogs.
  4. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    Collie collie collie, PERFECT for you & TONS in rescue desparate for good homes
  5. spottycayuse

spottycayuse New Member

Name:
    Lorraine
    What about a staffie? There are thousands in rescues throughout the country and, as a breed, generally have a fantastic temperment with people. I've known many, many staffies and some were fantastic with other dogs and some not - you'd just need to select one carefully. If you were rehoming from a dog home or charity then they would help you find the right dog. Good luck on your search.
  6. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Bearded Collie
    Malinois
    GSD
    Boxer
    Doberman
    Pointer
    Weim
    A retriever
    Otterhound

What sort of things do you like looks wise or group wise, or no preference?
  7. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    Golden Retriever is one of the breeds on my list ;-) Lab is a possibility too, my uncle always has Labs and his are just great dogs :grin:

:mrgreen: Collie has been a strong contender, especially coz there are lots in rescue, and having a look on Many Tears there often seems to be lots of BC, and BCx pups looking for homes.

I would love to get a Staffy... I don't know how possible that would be though with my family. They aren't 'doggy people' (although they love dogs that are in the family) and they aren't keen on breeds like SBTs, Rotties etc because of the press :-( even though I tell them so many times. The only possible way would be to get a pup, that they know growing up, but even then I am not sure how they would react. I have always said that I won't let them dictate what breed I get, but in reality they will be a part of the dogs life, so they need to be comfortable with the dog.

I hadn't thought of a Bearded Collie... I had thought of Malinois, GSD, Boxer, Doberman and Retriever though :lol: :lol:

I don't have a preference to group... I do like pastoral dogs, and some of the gundogs (mainly retrievers and setters) and then some other breeds from different groups. I tend not to go for terriers, but thats mainly coz most of them are a bit smaller than I would like :lol:
  8. spockky boy

spockky boy New Member

Name:
    qwerty
    Cocker Spaniel, Lab and collie sprung to mind.
  9. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    Lab and Collie are possibilities :grin: I do like working Cockers, but not so keen on show type, but they are a bit on the small side for me :lol:
  10. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    I agree, collie :) There are loads of adults in rescues and if you want a pup, that's pretty easy to get in rescue too.
  11. jaymacv

jaymacv New Member

Name:
    Jay
    BC is a pretty good choice. :lol:
    How can anyone not like rotties? :cry: Or am i biased?
    Also, how can your family not like rotties but like dobermanns? Sorry if it sounds rude, but dobies are just as scary to me ;-)
  12. jesterjenn

jesterjenn New Member

Name:
    Jeni
    I'd probably be tempted to go to a multi breed rescue centre and ask them which dogs suit your needs, and then pick which one gets on best with Jake :) There might be a specific breed that Jake gets on with over others.
  13. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    Yeah, I think a BC or BCx will most likely be it coz there are so many :lol: :lol:

My family don't specifically like Dobermans... I do, but they don't. They don't like GSDs either. BUT they are more likely to be ok with a Doberman, GSD etc, if it is a pup that they see growing up. The sheer size of a Rottweiler intimidates my mum... She will be like that no matter what, even if knowing a Rottie from a pup, it's the same with mastiffs etc as well with her. My mum adores Jake, but she doesn't like dogs she doesn't know... the bigger they are, the more scared she is.

Also, my mum's brother used to have a nice Doberman, so the one and only Doberman she has ever known, was a good example for her. He has a Rottie now, but my mum doesn't talk to him anymore, so doesn't see the dog.

Jake will probably end up picking the dog :lol: :lol: he can be a bit funny with spaniels... not aggressive or anything, but he gets a bit yobbish :roll: :lol: :lol: