Australian Cattle Dog Discussions

Discussion in 'Australian Cattle Dog' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. mac82

mac82 New Member

Name:
    mac82
    oh i love them!! they are beautiful!! i first saw one in a film years ago, and immediately needed to find out what breed it was!!
    have done extensive research on them and have just fallen for them in big big way!! met my first one at discover dogs few years ago and think they are just the most ace dogs with so much character and personality!! i will def be having one in the future but feel i need a bit more experience first!!
    rotties are also up there in a big way!! love both breeds to distraction!!
    any more pics will be very greatly received!!!!!!!!!
    all beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuutiful!!!!!!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. dogdragoness

dogdragoness New Member

Name:
    norma
    No you are not alone in this border collie dominated internet lately lol. All I see is threads about gsd's & bc's.

I have owned those breeds & their mixes over the years & when I got my first cattle dog about 8 yrs ago (Izze) I didn't look back, that dog just gets me like no other dog before. I have a new one, she is a mix, heeler with something (we think aussie shepherd) & is a rescue, she is already another furry tumer in the making.

I love acds & will defend & depate to the last breath I have agaonst anyone who says they are stupid &h crazy!!
  4. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    I baby sit for some one who has one, really lovely dog IF it likes you! It likes me but some other people it will not let in the house! And not always great with other dogs it has been in fights before even 10 mounths old :-( I don't think the people knew what they were getting, they were after 'an easy pet dog, that won't cause any trouble' , they have had some challenges with it and it has a very sharp bark. Don't know if it's because they are not very expirinced with dogs or if it's dog dog, probably a little of both. From what I've seen it's working/nipping/guarding instincts are definatly there. But it gives the best cuddles to their kids I've ever seen a dog do it has such a sweet side to it that I can see how people get hooked :grin:
  5. dogdragoness

dogdragoness New Member

Name:
    norma
    Izze is not a cuddle dog. When I want to vive her affection I have to call her over lol, if she does come up on her own accord, its only very briefly. She will put up with other people petting her now she is older (8yrs) but when she was younger forget it lol, she would snap at people & such & she hates, I mean HATES kids ever since she was dropped by a child as a pup lol.

But she is a wonderful working dog, its like we are joined at the soul or something.
  6. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    My dog is half ACD and I adore her! BUT a Cattle dog is NOT for the faint of heart or average joe pet dog owner. Fab working dogs, but you have to know what you are doing. Labradors they are not....
  7. dogdragoness

dogdragoness New Member

Name:
    norma
    You are very right about that, they are like rotties, german shepherds BC's & such. They aren't for everyone & certianly not for people who live in apartments or the city (in the cattle dogs case) because they need a job on a farm or ranch with a strong leader/boss.
  8. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Stella Smyth competes with them very successfully in Working Trials, I remember when she made breed history with her Smokey getting the first TDex (male).

I like them, if I could be sure of getting one with enough leg I would have one.
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Well there is nothing in the rules that says you can't start your own debates/threads about any breed(s) you are interested in ;-) ;-) ;-)

ACD look a really smart little breed, but I couldn't see myself ever being tempted to own one.
  10. dogdragoness

dogdragoness New Member

Name:
    norma
    I love them, they are so smart its scary, when they look at you you can see the wheels turing, its like their stare is borring a hole in you lol.

Didn't mean to insult BC people, but I have heard so much about how great BC's are, just wanted to start press for my breed lol. Sorry if I offended anyone, not my intention.
  11. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Oh no offence taken at all :grin: Love hearing more about other breeds of dog, especially working dogs :grin:
  12. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    got anypics?
  13. Adam P

Adam P

I love the look of them.

I have heard the temp can be a little fiesty though, whats yours like?

Btw would have to call one Max!

Adam
  14. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Fiesty? yes. Hard? very.
    Not dogs to be trifled with in any way shape or form. I have heard the British Rail Transport Police are using one or two now and they win out by looking like a small crossbreed.... but tougher than nails when push comes to shove. And will work for hours and hours longer than the other breeds.

Not a dog for a novice. The fact that many have got to the top in Working Trials in the UK says a lot.

Scared me a bit to see an ad in my local Tesco's in Decemeber for ACD x Staffie pups - MUST GO BEFORE CHRISTMAS, 5 males 1 female, £80, good with children, excellent pets.
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    :shock: OMG - that is an accident waiting to happen!
  16. dogdragoness

dogdragoness New Member

Name:
    norma
    Acd/staffies? Lol for the right person they might be a great dog, would love to see a pic.

Mine is tough as nails definately & even took on a herd of maurading cows & drove them off range cubes to save my fiancee, who they had knocked over from being trampled one day. Thanks to her she only escaped with minor injuries.
  17. Emma

Emma New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I wouldn't like to see the mix :x
    ACD are lovely, I was brought up around them and find it hard to see them as hard but I guess it is like any breed, if you don't know enough about them, you can find yourself out of your depth I guess..........
    If I was on a property I would have one in a heart beat:049:
  18. dogdragoness

dogdragoness New Member

Name:
    norma
    Oh yeah they can be very hard lol with lots of drive not only to drive stock, but drive in EVERYTHING lol. Mine will put her heart soul & energy into whatever she is doing, she is a true working dog. (Didn't know how to load attachments, but she is my avatar now)

Jo on the other hand doesn't exhibit that, but she is still young & her personality is still evolving.