Australian Cattle Dogs as companions Discussions

Discussion in 'Australian Cattle Dog' started by Murf, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf

Australian Cattle Dogs as companions

What do people think about Australian Cattle Dogs ?

Are they like some other pastoral breeds different lines for working and pets ????
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    In the UK most are pets, there have been a few in WT most of the feistiness has been moderated according to a fellow triallist who bred and has judged them at Crufts.

There are not that many of them around though.

I would like one if they were a bit taller.
  4. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I do like them but i've read they arent easy dogs and dont get along great with other dogs. They are also a little bit short and stocky for my liking, they dont look very athletic which is what I prefer.
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Probably the only other breed Id have. They are a "dog" to me. Nothing pretty or exaggerated. Much like a Border. I enquired to several people about them but was put off with their temperament and an unwillingness to tolerate other dogs well.
  6. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    The short stockyness is the appeal ..lol
  7. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    The two that live near me are both dog and people aggressive so I steer well clear.
  8. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    The are athletic enough to clear a 9ft long jump and a 6ft scale..... ;)

plus a 3ft clear.
  9. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
  10. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Stop posting picture of cute pups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    You need to bring forward your pup ....:p
  12. MarchHound

MarchHound New Member

Name:
    Jeanna
    I met one in the flesh the other week and he had no issues with Jinty or people. He was stunning <3 A blue one too. I could have stolen him but his owners said no.... huff!
  13. chaospony

chaospony New Member

Name:
    Chaospony
    I have had a few Cattle dogs (Blue heelers) and they make great pets, but like any working breed you need to give them a job or they will make one up for themselves!

None of mine had problems with other dogs, can some times be a little aloof with playing but were never aggressive in any way. I do know of a very good breeder in the UK if you want I could pm you their web site. ;-)
  14. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Please do.... All info is welcome.
  15. Steven Pemberton

Steven Pemberton New Member

Name:
    Steven
    Azz likes this.
    These dogs are one of the most energetic dogs you will ever find. They are built to herd cattle for long hours without rest in the heat. They are one of the most intelligent dogs out there. It just depends on how well you socialize them with people and other dogs. They are known to be friendly even with cats as long as the cat is friendly. If they are raised to be aggressive then you will have a very aggressive dog. They are very loyal and stick close to you. They are sometimes referred to as velcro. I know my Chip is very loving but also very protective of me. One of the best dogs a person can have. They do need a job and a large area to run and play or work.