AWOL! Experiences

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Pork1epe1, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Malka, 6JRT's and Azz like this.

AWOL!

It doesn't matter how many times you've experienced it before it's always a heart stopping moment when you discover your dog has gone AWOL!

This morning when I let Georgina and Gwylim out, I noticed the dustbin had been overturned and the contents were strewn across the driveway. Dashed out in my dressing gown and slippers and managed to clear most of the yucky mess. Luckily, whatever it was that had ransacked the dustbin had eaten all the cooked chicken bones. Went back inside and quickly got dressed which couldn't have taken much more than 5 minutes then went to check on the dogs only to find they were nowhere in sight. Panic stations! I'd no idea where they'd got out or in which direction they'd gone but after checking the fence, I discovered that the intruder had got in by bending the sheep wire fence close to the wall which faces the lane so that was most likely where my two had got out.

Grabbed two leads and a pocket full of treats and thought the pair of them had probably headed towards the village to terrorise the village dogs. No luck there, so knowing that Pei never stray far decided to turn back to see if they'd gone home of their own accord. And sure enough I spotted Georgina sniffing a telegraph post four houses beyond mine, and Gwylim nosing around on the grass verge. Called Gwylim (who has beautiful recall) and he came bounding up to me and whilst he was eating his treat put him on his lead. Georgina though was having nothing to do with the lead business so I left her to follow us, which she did because she doesn't like to be parted from little brother.

Then of course had to block the hole in the fence which I managed to do with a plank shored up with some large rocks. By the time I'd finished it was nearly two hours later and I was well and truly knackered and the rest of the day has pretty much been a right off .... but what a relief the scare is over and I got them both back safely!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Glad you quickly found them. I'm sure it was a scare.

We do all know that panic. The adrenaline rushing panic of a missing dog.
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    When 'Rocky' went missing I thought he had been stolen! Was so pleased to find him in the shed :lol:

Glad you got them back safely :D
  5. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Great to hear they are home safe.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    One going walkabout is bad enough, but for them both to do so? :eek:

It is such a good think that Georgie loves her little brother so that they kept together, and with Gwylim's excellent recall you knew she would follow him [and you] home.

And here is me panicking if De Dawg is out of sight while she is on her tether...:009:
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Am glad your Princess & Prince were found close by, it must of been heartbreaking for you wondering if they had been stolen x
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Glad you found them, ive been there and its a horrible feeling x
  9. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    CaroleC, 6JRT's and Malka like this.
    So far all is well in the world .... no more break-ins, or great escapes and the repairs to the fence are holding up and apart from a few close inspections from Gwylim, neither dog has tried to take it to bits! They weren't very happy though the way mum kept checking on them to see what they were up to.

Yesterday they had their first encounter with some very strange creatures they've never seen before. Six Guinea Fowl out for a walk along the path outside our house, making the most horrible weird noises! Chickens and ducks they're used to seeing and accept as part of the scenery ... but Guinea Fowl? Gwylim couldn't believe his eyes and stood like a statue watching them walk by. Georgina was most upset and didn't know whether to bark or ignore them and came huffing and puffing up to me with a look of consternation on her face that means .. "Mum come and have a look and tell me what to do". So I went to the gate and we all watched the Guinea Fowl pass backwards and forward along the path until they decided it was time for them to go home.

Georgina on the look out for alien beings!

SAM_1040.JPG

Gwylim watching the creatures disappear!

SAM_1038.JPG
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Pork1epe1 and 6JRT's like this.
    I once managed to lose a 6 week old Cavalier puppy. It was a lovely day, and the litter had been playing out and sleeping in the run for most of the afternoon. When the time came for their tea, four puppies came running into the kitchen - but there was no sign of the fifth one. We didn't live on a road, so I was sure that nobody had been near the bungalow - and I'm ashamed to say that accused my young daughter of letting her out through the gate. I eventually found her in the garage, fast asleep, curled up against the motor casing of the dog freezer. The sense of relief was indescribable.