Biting Behaviour

Discussion in 'Australian Cattle Dog' started by xxvxxi, Feb 6, 2021.

1. xxvxxi

xxvxxi New Member

Name:
    angel

Biting

this is my pup, his names tito, he’s 1 and 4 months old. so recently, i’ve been getting complaints about tito. the people i stay with have been telling me he bites this 5-6 year old that comes over here and there. it only happens whenever i’m sleeping or never around. he is not an aggressive dog at all ! i’ve never had a complaint about him until i moved in here. he doesn’t bite anything or anyone hard, when he bites (when he’s playing) he notices and he ends up licking the hand or whatever until it’s out of his mouth. he plays with kids all day long ! they have 2 kids here that at 10 and 14. the first time i’ve seen actually, it was because he ran and stepped on his tail on purpose, but he didn’t bite him, he snipped at him and it was just a little red mark that went away the next day. i disciplined him and he never did it again.
    this is what i’ve been told about the “reasoning” why he bite him this time. the kid went to hug his uncle letting him know he was there. i trust them with my dog but also i’m confused? i have a 2 year old nephew that runs around with him and plays with him and he doesn’t bite him? why does he only bite this one kid he sees way more than he sees my nephew? i discipline him but then whenever i don’t discipline them how they want me to they say i don’t beat him enough to where he won’t do it again? i don’t know what to do cause now the kids dad is telling me he’s going to put him down.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    You need to move. It’s completely wrong to beat a dog in anyway or to suggest you don’t beat him enough. That’s appalling.
  4. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Rick McC. likes this.
    And an aggressive biting dog can be a different thing to a dog that bites to say hello , or because it wants to play .

so if you’ve got a kid that doesn’t really look bitten , it could be excitement .

even play fighting like my dogs do with each other .
    Dogs can also be a really good judge of character .

Some dogs may just bite one day too !

if they’re saying the dog only bites the kid , sounds like he’s been bitten more than once .

Sometimes if people act scared or weird around dogs , the dogs can act that way too.

I’m going through possibilities here .
    Biting kids isn’t going to go down well , so I’d be keeping them apart When you can’t supervise .

I Got a 4-5 month old pup that wanted to genuinely bite kids once ,that had lived near the school where kids would throw things at him and and poke sticks .

I couldn’t keep him , it was too dangerous .i returned him to the owners .

long story that one ,
    I ended up giving him to my grandfather as a protector on his farm after the old old owners sent him to the pound to get put down!

then I had to pay to get him out ,lol
    And drive him 2500 kilometers to his new home , then return !

the things I’ve done for a dog :)
  5. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    I just saw this is in the Australian cattle dog section , I did notice the dogs colors , as I have the same on mine .
    So is the dog biting the kid on the heel ? (Blue heeler) .

they are renowned for nipping kids on the heels too .

Or is it being protective of someone or something , even the house there , these can be their traits also .