Blue Heeler / Australian Shepard mix O.K for 13 yr old Questions

Discussion in 'Australian Cattle Dog' started by Bingo, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Bingo

Bingo New Member

Name:
    Randy

Blue Heeler / Australian Shepard mix O.K for 13 yr old

My 13 yr old daughter has been going down the street to her friends Grandfather's house watching these puppies grow up. The mother is supposed to be 100% heeler and father heeler/ Australian Shepard mix, the gentleman is just a back yard breeder, pups are kept outside in a small shed type building with board floor and it seems the pups sleep on floor? They will be 6 weeks this weekend and he's getting rid of them this weekend. My daughter has picked a female who looks exactly like the mom and has gotten very attached to the pup and has watched the pup grow up since it was born. My daughter says that the puppy already follows her around and growls at the other pups when she goes to visit. We are not sure if the pups have fleas or how to be sure, the guy is wanting 50.00 for her, 250.00 for anyone else who buys one, which I'm not sure if he'll get that much? My daughter is very hyper ADHD, very active and loves to run and play all the time. I've never raised or owned a Cattle Dog, we live in a small house with huge back yard and my daughter wants her to be a house dog. Questions....are these type of dogs good for kids, do they make good loyal companions (for daughter), and should I give the pup a shot or wait? This isn't what I'd pick, but it's not me getting the dog, I want her to be happy with the dog and have a best friend in the dog. Are these dogs easy to train and are they smart? As a puppy would she learn to get along with cats and my male 6 yr old Jack Russell? I'd appreciate any feed back and help, thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    My first instinct is the breeds of dogs in the pup (Blue Heeler and Australian Shepherd) are both high-energy dogs and would need LOTS of exercise. The puppy has more Heeler in her and those dogs tend to need a "job" to do for them to be happy and healthy.

Here is some info:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/australiancattledog.htm

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/australianshepherd.htm

Since the dog is not purebred, it could take on the best qualities of both breeds, the worst, or somewhere in between. Good luck in what you decide.