Bubble Wrap?? General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Toedtoes, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Oh that face is adorable. Yellow poo! How delicious!!!

I looked up the mud daddy - interesting. I could see it being less effective on a long haired dog or a dog with a thick undercoat. But for a beagle coat it's perfect.

I'm pretty good with cats and medications, etc. And only one cat was ever to keep me from clipping his nails - I had to wrap him in a towel and he'd still win. Every other cat, I've been able to clip their nails without any fight or towels. Dog nails I'm lousy at.

The Twooney have taken to laying on the back of the couch together. 15lbs each. Looney1 often gives Looney2 a face wash.
    IMG_20230819_182432826.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Last night, eleven kittens were confined to the bathroom so this morning I could get up at 5:30 am and take seven to the Neuter Wagon - the rescue drives a full days worth of spays and neuters to a clinic 90 miles away for surgery and then drives them back afterwards.

So, I only have four 8 week old kittens in the house!

Tornado-dog's Aunt C had agreed to take him for the day so I could spend some time cleaning the kittens' room, letting them run free, etc.

Somehow "take for the day" has dwindled down to "take for about 2 hours". So, I'll get the bathroom and hallway mopped up at least.

The big kids were all very brave when I took them - even Panther! There were another twelve or so kittens/cats in today's group.

Interestly, while we were getting the kittens logged in, the current huge kitten population came up. One woman commented that it is because of Covid. When are we going to stop blaming everything on Covid? The truth is, our area has been in a major drought, with minimal winter rainfall, for several years. When droughts hit, animal mating reduces, successful pregnancies from those matings are lower, fewer babies occur per pregnancy, AND fewer babies survive. We aren't seeing an uptick in kitten populations as much as we are seeing the numbers going back to normal numbers after our wet winter.

Meanwhile, the night before, the kittens tried to go upstairs at bedtime with the Twooney and the dogs. I managed to convince them to back downstairs - except Panther. She missed my count and spent the night upstairs. I believe she played with Looney1 for a bit while Looney2 and I cuddled, but I never actually saw her. In the morning, she came downstairs to eat with her siblings. She is definitely considering her options - if she doesn't get a home, I think she'll get along fine here and that eases my worry about her. I had one failed foster years before who absolutely hated living with me - and what do you do? You can't find them a home and they don't want to be with you.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I just got a text from the rescue. Apparently they are expecting chaos this weekend with my kittens. They want ALL seven there first thing Saturday.

I have a strong suspicion I won't be bringing them all home at the end of the day. Makes me happy but also sad. I'll miss these little critters.

The little ones will be going in for their intake. That will get them in on the next neuter party in September.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    So today was their first adoption day. Calvin was his charming self, grabbing at people as they walked past. Daisy had a man very interested - he was going to talk to his wife, hopefully he'll come back tomorrow.

But the surprise of the day was Andrushka. She was easily the most popular of all the 29 kittens available.

Unfortunately, there was not a single adoption for the day. Hopefully tomorrow will see some getting homes.

On the way there, I did tell everyone "I want you to get a home where you'll be properly worshipped for the Cat Gods you are. So I want you to do your best. BUT if you get to that home and it is not for you, just throw up on everything and they'll send you home to me."

They were all very brave - including Panther.

The little ones went with us for their intake. They are now all official. They'll get fixed in September. They did very well. Even YumYum let a little toddler carry her. Punx was a champ. She let several kids hold her without complaint. Hobbes is my talker - he voiced his displeasure in the car. Gertie wanted out to explore. They are exhausted now.

With the 7 older ones staying on site for the night (they'll come home at the end of the day tomorrow) and the little ones exhausted, it is very very quiet here tonight.

Oh, and today was The Twooney's birthday! Looney1 is 5 years old and Looney2 is 4 years old.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    I hope all goes well and you have some offers of super homes tomorrow.

A Very Happy Birthday to Looneys 1 and 2.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    The Twooney are a bit put off. They spent the evening looking for the big kittens and didn't seem to know what to do without them.

I have a funny suspicion that we're going to end up with a Twooney and a Looney or Two Twooneys by the end of this.
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I decided to arrive after 2:30 today to the adoptions. The kittens were all there already, so I just needed to pick up those not adopted.

When I arrived, Calvin had already been adopted. Over the next 1-1/2 hours, Luke, Bo and Daisy all got adopted.

Rabbit had lots of attention. But he, Andrushka and Panther came home with me for the week.

Upon arriving home, Andrushka gave her Uncle Looney1 a big cat rub. Apparently, they missed their uncles as much as their uncles missed them.

The little ones are all happy now too.

So until next weekend, we are kicking back for the week.
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Toedtoes likes this.
    I just realized that some of your kittens are named after characters from “The Dukes of Hazard”. I remember watching that as a kid. I doubt it would stand up well if I were to watch it now.
  10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Yes, the triplets. I had two boys and a girl - so it was Luke, Bo and Daisy or Luke, Han and Leia.

And you're right, it doesn't hold up well.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    I didn't spot that - know the programme but was too busy with horses in those days. I did spot Calvin and Hobbes, was there a connection between the other names too.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    The others are all individual names.

With Calvin and Hobbes, I just love those names - and the cartoon.
  13. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I read an article this morning about some rescued kittens and they were all given “hillbilly” names. Someone at the rescue changed the lyrics to the Beverly hillbillies theme song, which was a television show. I thought it was cute, and thought I’d post it here since we’d been discussing names. BF660123-1A8A-45D1-B363-07D715017F4D.png
  14. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Toedtoes likes this.
    6 of the 7 kittens were all black and identical
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I remember that programme. I think it was in black & white - or perhaps we hadn't changed to a colour tv!
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Yep. It was black & white.

It's amazing what rescues will do to get adoptions. And with a litter of all black kittens, you have to go all out.

Unfortunately, black cats just get ignored for any other color.
  17. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    So Cat-dog and I were talking today. We are wondering if we raised a weird Tornado-dog or if he was predestined to be weird no matter what we did...

If I sneeze, he immediately runs to me and hugs me. I don't know why... He doesn't do it if I cough, or if I fake sneeze.
  18. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Today, I got up and fed the kittens and closed the bathroom door while I got dressed. Then I opened the door to put the three big kittens in the carrier to go to adoptions. Panther knew what I was doing and declared she was NOT participating and rushed out and went into hiding.

So, Andrushka and Rabbit went to adoptions without her. Within minutes of them going in their cage, people were interested. Less than an hour later, the adoptions were final. Andrushka got adopted with another kitten, Fran. They had played between their cages last week and are both very playful girls. They immediately cuddled in their carrier. I think they are going to be best friends and sisters. And their news Mom adores them both.

Rabbit got the attention of a nice couple. He works from home. There are no kids or other pets. Rabbit is going to be worshipped. And best of all, they have friends visiting this week who are allergic, so we agreed Rabbit will stay with me until next week when they leave and then he'll go to his new home. So I get a week to love him before he leaves me. I also told them I'd Rabbitsit any time. I'm gonna miss my little man. He's been laying on the couch next to me while we watch tv - we watched season one of Jury with Gerard Butler last night together.

Tomorrow Panther WILL be going to adoptions. I have explained to her that she has to TRY to get a home and that means going to adoptions for more than one weekend - at least 4 to 5 weekends required. But I suspect she has made her decision on this and I'm spitting into the wind.
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    At least you don't have to do home inspections to rehome kittens. It must be so hard parting when you get down to the last few, you will miss them.
  20. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    The rescue group I worked with before included home visits for both dogs and cats, but we rarely did them. It was more a safety so if we heard something after the adoption, we could go and get the animal back.

I believe this group does it the same.

For me, the tough part is seeing that last kitten alone in the cage.

I know the four little ones will get adopted easily. YumYum is gorgeous and can get away with her Snooty attitude. Gertie is a sweatheart. Hobbes with his fat spotted tummy is adorable. And Punx is half their size and in complete charge - adopters don't stand a chance against her.

Panther did not come down for breakfast this morning. She has been hiding out upstairs with Harry. She's using The Twooney's cat box and eating their food. So, today I went to adoptions empty handed. And came home to The Twooney and a Looney. It is official. Panther has been adopted and lives here. We're scheduling her first annual exam and getting her the FeLV vaccine so she doesn't catch it from Harry.

The little ones have to be 2lbs to get fixed. At their last weigh in, Hobbes was the biggest at 28oz and Punz was the smallest at 19oz. YumYum was 26oz but I think now outweighs Hobbes. Gertie was about 24oz. The next neuter trip is this Tuesday, so they aren't eligible for that trip. So they should be going in a couple weeks, likely longer for Punx.
  21. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC and Toedtoes like this.
    I was going to say yesterday that it seems that Panther had decided she’s staying with you, but I refrained. I even had typed part of my reply and then deleted it. I am happy for Panther. Seems like your current cats are okay with this too. How is Tornado dog going to be with this?