Cattle dog antics Working Dogs

Discussion in 'Australian Cattle Dog' started by Queensland blue, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Malka likes this.
    I tried similar ones recently , the ones that have the hex nut that does up .
    I only did them up finger tight, and when we got where we were going one was undone already.

I didn’t want to have to tighten it with a spanner all the time so gave up on them.

when the dogs get excited , like going for a drive to the water,
    all their Houdini agitation works it’s magic
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not use the carabiners on Tikva's tether - the heavy ones are for the door rope and are obviously tightened up. As she is only small a regular trigger clip is fine to clip onto her harness. On the very rare occasion the trigger clip has broken she comes straight in because somehow she feels insecure outside if she is loose. The bull clip is the one at the wall end of her tether.

I did use a bull clip for Pereg, although a smaller one, but she was bigger than Tikva is, weighing 18-20kg as against Tikva's 7.5-8kg [Tikva is now on a diet as I prefer her to weigh a bit less].
  4. Rick McC.

Rick McC. New Member

Name:
    Rick
    ^^^^ I’ve never seen any like that before, and I like it!
  5. Rick McC.

Rick McC. New Member

Name:
    Rick
    I’ve used big stainless steel ones like that before on anchor ropes in saltwater. Only problem is that the springs aren't stainless. I don’t believe that there is such a thing as stainless spring steel.
  6. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    CA7D10A2-F05C-4365-8328-3A4B85944F70.jpeg This is a 14 month old female red cattle dog we saw today .
    They said this is the third cattle dog they’ve had , and they’ve been good watch dogs while they were traveling around .
  7. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    bit of an update on these clips durability ,

they have successfully stopped any escapes.
    The one the pup goes on on the ute , the spring has gotten softer .
    So the clip part is poking out a bit now ,
    so looks like they will need replacing every few months for the pup , as once it gets weakened it may give a little room to be caught on and pulled out.

The one for the other older dog is still fine as she doesn’t jump around anything like the pup does wearing it out.
  8. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Rick McC. likes this.
    Clip on the left in this pic is opening up . 1146836A-F4F2-4CE2-AC0F-F306202A0DFF.jpeg
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Does that part stay in if you push it back? I actually have difficulty opening the one I use, probably because my hands are not very strong, but as it is on the end of the tether by the wall it only needs to be opened if I have to replace the cord tether. I have never had to replace that clip.
  10. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    It wont really stay in if it’s pushed in now ,
    So I have swapped them by putting the older dog on the worn one ,
    And the pup on the better condition one.

they are pretty difficult to open one handed I agree .
    At least before the spring becomes softer and even then it’s an unusual movement to push it outwards , and then slide the clip off the collar at the same time .
  11. Rick McC.

Rick McC. New Member

Name:
    Rick
    I have clips similar to those on my dock lines. They attach to solid bull rings that are attached to the other ends of the lines.
  12. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    1152C801-F046-43B1-AC85-D4D225DD1DE2.jpeg We came across a guy walking this dingo today . She is 7 years old and 27 kg he said , she was friendly enough to wag her tail , not friendly enough to let the dogs get too close without growling to let them know.

I had seen the dog before and thought it was a red cattle dog until I got close today .

he said she climbs trees , and catches rabbits (while she’s still on the long lead)
    Which I thought was pretty impressive.
  13. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think she's got be a hybrid with those white markings. I wonder if she comes into season?
  15. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Don’t know if she comes into season ,
    I was wondering if she had been fixed because she has a fair bit of weight on her , although compared to wild dingos which look leaner it could be also because she is a pet eating more regularly and heartily.

The white on her neck could be due to being a bit hybrid ,I’m not sure the rest looks ok .
    (Although I’m not an expert on color ) there are Black and Tan dingos here too .
    actually I believe from what I’ve been told the only pure dingos left are those on Fraser Island .

As all the mainland ones now have crossed with domestic dogs .
    they still keep distanced enough to keep the entirely dingo look ,
    The name of dingo switches to wild dogs however, where they become distinctly different by color and size etc .

some people (farmers etc) call dingos wild dogs , and wild dogs dingos .

I can tell you for certain many many cattle dogs which are not papered will have dingo in their dna however up here as the likelihood of no dingo ever breeding with domestic dogs is slim to say the least .

The show dog crowd can well be a different story .
    farm dogs are bound to have a bit of mutt somewhere along the line .
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I didn't know crosses were so common - and I had quite forgotton that the ASD's has Dingo blood. I was wondering whether hybrids were sterile, like mules. Clearly they aren't.
  17. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Rick McC. likes this.
    [ F5A20034-D50E-4DCC-9354-1253D59378D6.jpeg
    Theres some pretty big scary dingo crosses around , that’s one of the reasons I got a second dog so they can look after each other .

pup is 13 months now (above) . He is starting to fill out now which is exciting to see . getting a bit of confidence about him .

a guy pulled over when we were walking today and asked if he can breed him with one of his hunting dogs .
  18. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Rick McC. and Malka like this.
    D200E7EC-4AAA-4433-ADC9-4C19427829D5.png Wasn’t so long ago ........A little cutie :)
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    A little cutie growing up to a handsome big guy!
  20. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Re
    reckon so thanks ! :)
  21. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Rick McC. likes this.
    This guy came to say hello today off leash , my pup was trying to jump up on him and being silly .

he schooled the pup for me , and got his hackles up and grabbed the pup by the Jowel for a couple seconds .

pup kinda got a shock , growled with a bit of howl in it lol and realized it was not ok and rude manners and jumped back .

I knew it was ok so wasn’t fussed , I’m glad it was the kind of dog that would not tear him up and only give him a lesson , he did me and the pup a great favor actually .

pup immediately corrected his behavior. 44476E14-3673-496A-9CEE-C29604849CF8.jpeg

right dog right place.