Coyotes and dogs/cats General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Margo8478, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478

Coyotes and dogs/cats

We had a rough night Sunday. I have two cats that are indoor/outdoor, I have five dogs. Sunday night I went to bed early and took all the dogs in my room with me while I had the tv on. My room backs up to the backyard. I heard something and opened my blinds and saw the dog gate knocked over, the cats knock it over sometimes when they jump over it, so I didn’t think anything of it, I even almost went outside to put it back up but since the dogs were in for the night I decided to wait till the morning. About 5 minutes later I hear something else and look out the window, I see my roommate with a flashlight. I looked at my phone and she had texted me she heard what she thought was a cat fight so I ran out there. We don’t see anything except water by the pool, I thought it was strange so I looked at my homes cameras, and I saw there was a coyote in my yard and one of the cats was in the pool struggling while the coyote was pacing the pool. No sign of either when we are out there but I’m freaking out and my roomie says she hears a hiss over our wall on the hill, so we grab flashlights, bats and a taser and run outside and up the hill, but it was too late, couldn’t find anything. It was so awful and I feel soooo bad and heartbroken, I keep thinking if I had just gotten up when I heard the gate fall I could have maybe saved him. Anyway now I’m freaked out, the coyote got over our wall so easily. I wanted to get coyote rollers, but they are only 4 feet long, my yard is so large is would cost serious money to get enough to cover the whole yard. I was thinking of having my handyman attach fencing to my existing wall to make it higher and harder for a coyote to get in. Does anyone else have coyote issues? What do you do to protect your dogs? My remaining cat is traumatized and will be steictly indoors from now on. I just purchased a bunch of motion sensor lights for the outside. I might just spend the money for the coyote rollers but I’m torn between that and adding the fencing to the existing wall which Will probably be more budget friendly. Any suggestions? My dogs won’t go outside now unless someone is with them, I won’t take any chances after this. It’s so sad.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Gosh that is scary, am sorry about your cat, just glad we don’t have anything like that to contend with here.
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Tuesday night at 11:45pm my dog Bandit let out some blood curdling barks and was standing up on the fence in the back corner, really wanting to get out. Pretty sure that was because of a mountain lion. He wouldn’t do that for a deer or a bobcat...

Sorry to read you lost your cat. When I used to have cats I lost a few too.