Cross breeding Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Tassle, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    :lol: not really surprising ;)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Two excellent posts I agree with.
  4. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    When ever i see Stoopid boy I have to say it in a captain mainwaring voice....:blush:
  5. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    I don't think there is anything wrong in breeding for a good pet - after all the vast majority of all dogs are pets first and foremost.

But as others have said, generally speaking those who deliberately breed crossbreeds don't seem to be after getting the best traits from the dogs, but rather the cutest puppies and/or the 'cutest' name.

The 'my dog has a great temperament and so has yours so lets breed' doesn't sound too bad. But if they don't think about what breeds/mixes are in the existing dogs and what that might produce, it can cause problems.

I don't consider myself a pedigree snob. I grew up with mongrels and at one stage was actually anti-pedigrees. But what I have learned is that you do have a much better idea of what you are going to get with a pedigree- in terms of size, energy levels, hair-shedding, intelligence....etc. etc.

I can't find any figures to support my assumptions at the moment, but I'd lay any money that there are more mongrels/crossbreeds in rescues than all the pedigrees put together. I'm sure a large part of that is just over-supply and lack of caring from the breeders, but is it also partly that the new owners didn't get what they expected? Cross two breeds with very different breed traits and you could get the best of both....or the worst of both. Now if you've considered the 'worst' parts of each possible combination, but how many crossbreed breeders give this a thought?

I do know one person who ocassionally deliberately crosses. He is after something specific (a search and rescue dog with the nose of a bloodhound but in a more compact body) and extensively researches genetics, lines, traits etc. He also doesn't let any of the pups produced go to pet homes.

I have no problem with him doing this and I would have no problem with someone breeding crossbreeds as pets....if they were actually thinking about what they were doing.
  6. Kalasin

Kalasin New Member

Name:
    Kalasin

Hiya :001: I am interested in how you would put these statements to fit the Northern Inuit 'crossbreed' as they /do/ have an emerging temperament, standard and type, no matter how much people would wish to deny their existence.

They are health tested before being bred from and /most/ breeders are trying to breed for type and health now to fit a standard which may one day be recognised by the KC (yes you can all go laugh now :lol: and yes there will always be unscrupulous people trying to make a quick buck) though that may be a long long time in the future.

They are bred to go in the ring (be it only society shows not the big fancy ones as of yet) and the breeders do take time to go through lineages to find suitable matches for their dogs before mating. Yes there may have been dodgy stuff in the past but if you put that aside what stops someone from being an 'ethical' breeder of Northern Inuits?
  7. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Ducks and covers ...
  8. Kalasin

Kalasin New Member

Name:
    Kalasin
    Heehee don't worry, it is not my intent to start an argument. I'm not here to shout and run, as you can see I've been here for quite a while now. It's just interest and I'll try my very hardest to not get offended. ;-)
  9. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    I dont know if its because i was horsey in my pre dog life, & so crossing a Welsh Cob with a TB was ok, You didnt Improve on what you had, but you were still breeding for a purpose to produce something, suitable but different.

I see some XB as that, Collie x Goldies, Collies x Aussie, Collie x GSD, all popular in obedience & make a Different type of Dog & worker than their "separate" parts,

Looking for a conformation,Specific Temperment to suit maybe better suited to some than a pure breed, to get the best of both worlds.

Breeding for money etc i dont condone & the pedigree world is no better than the XB in some quarters.

Even the names dont bother me, A cockerpoo is short for Cocker Spaniel X poodle & a Goldie is short for a GR.
    It just says whats in the tin!

If he breeder is ethical they are ethical & if they arent they arent!
  10. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    You even want to go down that route again after the last thread! :lol: - Just put it this way, my views have'nt changed! :001:
  11. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I dont have a problem with crossbreeds as long as it's done with a purpose in mind and yes, I would (and did) spend money buying one. There has been some BC x Aussie shepherds advertised lately and it's a tempting cross (complete with bobtail).

I do have a problem with people doing it solely for money or just putting one breed with another to see what it produces but if I can see logic behind it then it doesnt bother me.
  12. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Hmm I go round and round on this one

really I guess my one big problem is I dont find most breeders ethical

So a question for people then? what about cosses that are bred for a reason? border collies x jack russles as good agility/flyball dogs?

I have my views on why I think these things are wrong but just wondered other peoples views
  13. Kalasin

Kalasin New Member

Name:
    Kalasin
    Lol I have a short memory. PM me a link so I can refresh? :blush:
  14. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Have you changed your views on cross breeding since having Zeff?
  15. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    To me, If the parents are health checked,The dogs parenrts are achieving in the sports & the breeder is good in other ways, & a waiting list in the market they are bred for, i think this is fine by me.

Obviously theres 100s of these Xs in rescue, But also the same with Pure breeds:?
  16. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Thanks Sal :mrgreen:
  17. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    There are some "ethical" (depending on how you put it) out there its just the same as anything finding them. My OH family have 4 cocker poodle crosses the travel 7 hours there and 7 back.
  18. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I see loads of heinz and loads of peds in rescue but i haven't found any "designer crosses". Can someone point me in the direction of these rescues since my mum and dad are looking for another dog. Weve been searching but cant find any in rescue.
  19. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Most reputable rescues will call them exactly what they are. Crossbreeds or mongrels, thats why you wont find any!:002:
  20. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Ethical in some of your opinions.. Never will be ethical in others....
  21. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I think if people are gonna crossbreed they should consider the outcome so breeding a dog of such difference in build, height frame i think is wrong. Also both of the breeds hold the traits required individually to excel in agility/flyball.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.