Cross breeding Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Tassle, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    thats why I said depending on how you put it. You dont think a breeder is ethical if they cross so obviously the ones out there who do the same as ethical ped breeders but breed crosses are not going to be ethical to you.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    To right their not.. Breeding for self gain, with no thought for the two breed their using.. or the breeders of the pure breeds they use :evil: Guess their meant to sit back and agree with it after spending years of money, love and time into their beloved breed...
  4. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Obviously.

Were looking for a cocker poodle cross. Im saying I cant find any and have looked for some time, Im asking seriously if anyone knows of any in rescue? Everyone says theres loads of these type or crosses, we're looking for one so i was asking. The only ones I have seen recently were the abandoned st bernard poodle cross litter of puppies.
  5. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Not all

But as ive said on other threads about this topic i do understand the frustration.
  6. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Also DD what else of my opinions is unethical in your view other than crossbreeding? Just out of curiosity always willing to learn.
  7. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

My problem is that these 1st gen crosses have no way of knowing if they are going to be the good agility dogs
    a 'border jack' as they are known, can end up with the body of the collie and the legs of the JRT (kinda) or basically any mix of trmprament, drive and body shape of both the breeds
    There are less guarantees with these dogs than their even are with pedigrees

For me there is too much waste creating a new crossbreed that breeds to the type you want, too random are the mixtures
    too many pups produced would not be what was wanted

Personaly If you want a cross, or a pedigree dog, there are far too many in rescue just now for me to consider any breeder

as for the inital question
    can you have an ethical breeder of cross breeds, depending on your definition of ethical then yes I guess many people would be able to, Im not so snobby as to think that only pedigrees should be bred from
    I think every breeder should look in rescues and then have a long hard think about why they are breeding, and if they can say that they should continue breeding then I guess thats the best anyone can do
  8. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Not sure I understand, its not your opinion I find unethical?

I dont agree with cross breeding no matter whos asking the question and agrees with it.
  9. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    but why do people need to crossbreed to get a good pet? Pedigrees make good pets, as do crossbreeds from a rescue. there is just no need to breed crossbreeds specifically as 'pets'.

I think the big difference is that getting a dog from a rescue isnt supporting the 'breeder'... it is a dog who is in need of home and many of whom have had a rough time of it, there is a big difference in my eyes. I have had two rescue crossbreeds, both very different but both fantastic pets... i couldnt ask for a better dog than what i have with Jake. I would not hesitate to get a crossbreed from a rescue, but i will never buy a crossbreed from a breeder. its not that i think any less of crossbreeds (obviously), i just refuse to support crossbreeding.

there are enough dogs in rescue, we dont need people breeding for the sheer sake of it! which sadly is the case a lot of the time.

im not sure what cross you are wanting but there is the labradoodle trust... not sure if i can post a link but if you search labradoodle rescue, it is the first link. there are quite a few looking for homes, and are all gorgeous. if you parents have a specific cross in mind im sure you could probably find a rescue by putting the cross followed by rescue into google.
  10. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    To right, and most (I wont say all because its not all) but certainly most dogs that we have transported/fostered have been crosses! I am yet to meet one Chinese Cresteds cross with a nice tempermant! Its sad,
    and from breeders that are producing 'family pets'. :roll:

and just because you value a breed in its true state, does NOT mean you are a snob and if it does im proud to be one :lol:
  11. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
  12. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    DD i was meaning what you said in below

I understand people saying about crossbreeding unethical, but i was wondering what the remainder of some was if you know what i mean? Like if id said something else which you thought to be unethical. I would never want to endorse an unethical breeder and i have always felt the things i look would find an ethical breeder. It just so happens my mum and dad love the cocker poodle cross breed and will not budge. Ive tried to talk to them about show cockers, min poodles, thought working cocker would be ideal but they are convinced on it. They hate the name, they hate telling people what she is but they love all of the crosses they have met.
  13. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    I dont have anything against that kind of crossbreeding either, same as the original reason for crossing Labradors with poodles... it just didnt work too well and got slightly out of control :lol:

if there is a real purpose for ANY breeding then that is fair enough... but breeding for the sake of it, whether it be pedigree or crossbreeds, i just do not agree with.
  14. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    No I didnt mean it as in you and your opinions. I meant you and others of the same opinion have no problem with it in yours (yours being as in the group that agree with it) opinions..
  15. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Lol cool, soz thought there was something i was missing to add to my bigillion questions when speaking to breeders lol.
  16. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Why is it self gain? Yes - they are getting a dog they want? Is this not why pedgree breeders breed as well?
  17. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    Posting and dashing as I've got to go and get the dogs out in a min for their last run, but Laura Ann, please google the Labradoodle Trust, the lady who runs that may be able to help you find a cocker x poodle rescue.
  18. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    OK - So perfect world...no rescues.....Crossbreeding still unethical?
  19. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    But a good Ethical X breeder WOULD take thatinto consideration, If they wanted to do this X, theyed have to make sure the Jack was tall enough & the BC was small enough, that would be part & parcel of being responsible.

I have a very small BC, that would be suitable sizewise to put to a largish JR

& would be likely to be medium, Should be a strong dog ,very quick,with less eye than a collie but more trainability than a jack with more tolarance for a high amount of training/comp work.

*im not about to do this or anything, but is a good example
  20. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    I meant self gain as in money...Most of these cross breeders dont even keep a pup... because they want to breed first crosses...(from what I have seen and read any how). Their just supplying the demand..nothing more, nothing less...adverts after adverts of how good they will be for familys, how healthy they are yada yada..
  21. Blu

Blu New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I don't see why they had to cross in the first place with poodles because atleast if they bred them then they would know there would be no coat problems, they are really smart anyway without crossing and you can get them in different sizes so that would mean better sizes to suit different houses etc. But then I don't agree with crossbreeding unless it's to improve a breed with major health problems and responsibly crossbreeding is the only answer.

Personaly I don't like the idea of dogs being kept as 'just pets' I think they should do something to prove they are able to work. Even with show dogs I think something should be put in place where the dog must prove itself to beable to work be it agility, obedience, good citz, flyball before it's allowed to be a champion. Just because a dog is breed standard doesn't mean it's going to beable to do a days work.

I've been told by people Blu's back is too long and he is on the edge of overgrown because of all the exercise he gets. But I'd rather have a dog who is near the breed standard with his back a bit long and goes out and works by doing agility etc than a show winning champion who is wasted by living life in a kennel all day. Just something I feel strongly about because I don't imagine many people would want their show poodles getting coats dirty or risk the dog sitting in the ring :roll:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.