Cross breeding Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Tassle, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Off to bed now. Think about what I said AF. :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    N'Night Dawn.
  4. boredinstroud

boredinstroud New Member

Name:
    Emily
    Real shame the direction this thread has taken...

@Dawn - you're right, there's absolutely no reason why a non-tested x-breed would necessarily be healthier than off-spring from tested (and well-selected) parents from the same breed.

That said, given that some breeds have developed from a relatively small number of dogs, and share a great deal of genetic material statistically, off-spring from x-breed would be more likely to have different copies of each gene - so where a deleterious mutation (or deterious copy of a gene) is passed on by one parent, there is a greater likelihood of receiving a decent copy from the other parent.

This is theoretical - for each individual mating it could go eitherway which is why it is incredibly mis-leading to say 'this is a cross-breed so healthier than a pure-breed'. IMO anyone breeding cross or pure-breeds should look to do relevant health-tests where possible.

One thing that worries me is that there seem to be certain breeds where health problems are so rife that IMO it would be intrinsically unethical to breed them. I don't personally think it's on for someone to breed a litter where a CS is a given, or for a breeder to say, 'I need to find well-off homes as this breed is very prone to eye problems and the owners realistically may need to be able to afford an expensive eye-op'. Of course dogs get sick from one thing or another and will almost certainly need potentially expensive healthcare but starting from a position where a dog can't give birth naturally, or where you know the pups have a high chance of needing an op just seems wrong.

I realise people may think this an irrelevant bit of 'whataboutery' on a X-breed thread but part of the popularity of the x-breed amongst pet owners is that by not having taken a strong stance against a number of practices that most here would regard as 'unethical', the KC, rightly or wrongly, is seen to endorse these practices and getting a x-breed v a pure-breed could be interpreted as a backlash against the KC by some of the public.

I'm not BTW saying that this is the right situation but IMO the more the KC does to publicly set higher standards (for health and welfare) the more likely people are to buy pedigree.
  5. rune

rune

Bet she finds that really hard to do ROFLMAO.

rune
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

I dont know her, but I sussed a troll in her first post:roll:

I would expect she is embarrassed because she put a link up to someones site and insinuated it was hers...

Mmmmmmm, not a good thing to do, maybe someone
    aught to send the link of her claims to the site owner??

I `m sorry, but from what I saw it was you who posted the information and the link to the site.

Does the site belong to your sister, if so why worry:?

P.S...how old is AF, because from her postings, it sounds like a child.
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Obviously it comes easy to her Lynn. Talking about others on other forums and deliberately joining to cause trouble, comes easy with some.
  8. rune

rune

Six

rune
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Ahh I see, more attempts at starting arguments. Gotcha, not biting Lynn, sorry.:mrgreen:
  10. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Think this is the quickest she has been 'sussed' she wont be impressed let me tell you! ;-)

But troll indeed - didnt even answer the questions relevant to the thread. But then anyone that knows her, knows she doesnt agree with cross breeding as doesnt agree with breeding altogether. :mrgreen:

Dunno how old as dunno what account to beleive is really her, she has had accounts as children and adults! :002:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2010
  11. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Might be a man ...lol
  12. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    I suspected troll when she made her first post, her unwillingness to talk about her supposedly families dogs, just confirmed my suspicions.

If she doesn't agree with breeding at all, then that would at least explain why she doesn't actually own a dog. As regardless as to wether you buy directly from a breeder, or rescue one, they were all bred at some point.

Obviously doesn't have the same issue with cat breeders though. Saying that, are you sure the cats are hers.

There's nout strange as folk is there.

Wonder if she/he/it will be back.
  13. crestnut

crestnut New Member

Name:
    lynda

Oh she will be back
  14. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    LOL she will be back - we are be stuck with her now.. She loves nothing more than a good old 'heated' debate. ;)
  15. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Oh well, I'm sure we can handle her. I do hope she's not the type to throw a tantrum when she gets back what she gives out, plus interest.

I've got the popcorn, the soup and the troll spray on standby just incase.
  16. AnimalFactor

AnimalFactor

Name:
    Fluffy
    You didn't "suss" me lol....I came on here in my second post saying I hated dogs shows and breeding...I was hardly trying to disguise myself, was I?

And the site is my sisters and her ex boyfriends, so I am hardly a liar.

And I would like to say, thanks to you mentioning names on this thread, myself and my sister have had nasty messages posted to our FB accounts...Thanks, guys and Admin for not removing personal information from this thread.

I am not a troll, I just have strong views about animal welfare.

And DD do the people on here not know you hacked into a mods account on another forum, so spy on conversations in the forum staffroom? I have the msn convo's to prove it!

Anyway, I am here to stay, so not rising to you all.

ps. FB will be in touch with whoever is sending the nasty messages.
  17. AnimalFactor

AnimalFactor

Name:
    Fluffy
    Not once did I say it was my site lol...It is my sisters and her ex boyfriends. :roll:
  18. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Don't really want involved in this argument but just wondering why you all think that soemone is a certain person or has loads of accounts.....? How would you know that?
  19. AnimalFactor

AnimalFactor

Name:
    Fluffy
    I have the EXACT same feelings about cat breeders as well.

Assuming things and twisting my words. :roll:
  20. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Do you own cats??
  21. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Dunno how old as dunno what account to beleive is really her, she has had accounts as children and adults!

How do you folks no that someone has multiple accounts? etc Thats its the same person etc?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.