Cross breeding Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Tassle, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    why has she chosen to breed? i cant remember if you have mentioned that or not :?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    For some its not about them showing the dogs, its about breeding for a reason that isnt just to supply the pet market.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2010
  4. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    No - I think it is relevent.....
  5. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    She wants a pup and has a few other who do as well, the bitch (so far) has a fab temperement and is great for training (really quick and up for learning). She will do health tests (not sure what - she has been researching).
  6. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    I'm interested now to know though...

If someone has good dogs but does not show, has a passion for the breed and sees far too much of an undesirable trait and wants to help improve the breed both in function and form, makes a point of researching, not even a point, they genuinley are interested because its their breed...they go to a great deal of time and effort to choose a stud/brood, use dogs which have successful working and show lines etc and and will be happy for the dogs to go to show, work and pet homes etc and have plans, does want to keep a pup themselves and probably goes to great expense at some point to bring in an import if necessary etc, then why would they be considered unethical, or 'not as good' etc?

Why do people think that buying a puppy with a Ch sire is good enough/best? without necessarily that Ch sire complementing the female or perhaps a bad temprement train in the lines etc ?

Why is it that one would be condsidered better than the other?
  7. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    ...and that is acceptable?
  8. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    I just re-read my post and it reads nothing like it was meant to! (Thanks what you get when you dont get to bed much for the last week!) :lol:

what I meant was for some people its not about not agreeing with people breeding because they are not showing dogs, its about them not agreeing with them breeding because they are not breeding for any purpose other than to supply the demand.
  9. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    So for most, the scenario I have described is acceptable just not if someone decided they have two nice dogs, or one nice dog and so they have a neighbour with a nice one and lets breed and sell them, make some £££££'s cos they are nice pets?

(which btw I do NOT agree with)
  10. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    But there are some who breed not just to supply demand.
  11. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    No its not acceptable in my eyes to breed from any random dogs for the sake of it, or any dogs just for money.
    I dont agree with breeding from pets, to produce pets and for no other purpose..
    Thought that had been my point the whole way through.
    Unless im just waffling again :mrgreen:
  12. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Thats what I meant too by the example I gave (although it was pedigrees I was asking about). I must rate this thread its got me interested lol
  13. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    lmao nah i know your opinions and beliefs, have done since i joined and the first time i got involved in one of these threads which wouldve probably been something like my third post lol. Have always been consistent, which I like. :)
  14. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    No - I see what you are saying.....But with showing you are breeding to supply a demand as well...

I find it odd that breeding for 'Pets' is seen as unnacceptable when by far the majority of dogs fill just that purpose? People may play about at agility or obedience.....but 90% (possibly more) of the people who come to my classes want a dog that can share thier life - they have no desire to go on to do further stuff......some do it for fun - I have 2 puppies (out of 12) who have been got with a specific purpose to do something (agility in both cases) and neither are pedigree.
  15. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Personally even with crossbreeds if buying a pup i would look for some working ability and to show there is some form of reason other than i have a pretty dog. Which is why I always ask millions of questions especially because there are so many poor crossbreeders.

Ideally look for dogs trained in obedience or do agility. As if other pups are used for these purposes etc.

Our Totts (JRT cross) loves nothing more than obedience and ratting. Amber (cocker poodle cross) has enjoyed the basics in agility although shes to young to any actual agility and obedience. Muffy (beardie cross) agility and obedience.
  16. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    lol just checking cos I sort of changed it into pedigrees again....I was just asking specifaically the example I had given what people thought of that. I'll stop confusing the issue now :grin:

I agree with that though, If I ever bred a litter it would definatley be for reasons other than money and I actually dont think you would make any money if you were bothered about doing things right!?

I think its disgusting when people risk their pets etc and just breed and breed for money. There simply is no need. Those people must have no concience (sp?)
  17. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Couldnt agree more. I considered very briefly to breed Totts because of her sound temperament and natural work ability. I wouldn't chose to have her ratting but she does it by instinct, the only way to stop her would be to keep her on a long line all of the time which i dont want for her. shes just drawn to burrows and catching rats.

But i had to remember I took her from a home where she was bred too young, was poorly treated and god knows what happened last time she had pups. Plus i have no knowledge what so ever of her family, i know nothing. So why would i risk her health when there are so many dogs already produced for their sound temperament and working ability. It was ridiculous thinking. Needless to say she is getting spayed next month, cant believe i considered it for a second.

So theres got to be the knowledge as well as working ability obviously.
  18. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    I totally agree.
  19. lwatson

lwatson New Member

Name:
    Lynn
    If someone wants to cross breed then its up to them really but I don't like it when they try and sell them as named breeds that have been made up like 'puggle, sprockers, malty poos, cavachion etc. They are crossed at the end of the day and years ago this would have only been because a dog had accidently got to a bitch.

When people sell them as these named breeds they think they can also sell them at a silly price. I saw a cavachion in my local paper advertised at £400 and in the same night there was a pedigree Bichon Frise for £350! I get angry when this happens as the so called 'breeder' seems to just want a quick buck.

I can however understand how some dogs came to be breed together and maybe years down the line some of these cross breeds may become a breed in themselves, but until that happens they are crosses and should be advertised as so and also the money to be paid for them should also reflect this.

I do not think any reputatible breeder would want to mate their dog to create a cross. However, the place that my mother got her Bichion Frise from was the most dirty and disgusting house ever (wipe your feet on the way out), she felt sorry for the pups that were there and if she could have she would have took them all. The mother and father of the pups were matted and dirty and the owner then said that she and her husband were going to be breeding Yorkie x Bichion next! Just seemed to me that she thought about the money. Having thought of this after we bought Chester we shouldn't have really got him out of principle but my mum fell for him and has turned out to be the most gentle and loving dog she has ever had......although with his training he doesn't listen to a word you say!
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2010
  20. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    i have seen Labradoodles advertised for £2000 :shock:
  21. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

I hate how people use 'pet' dog like it is in insult
    Showing, agility, flyball, HWTM
    They are all hobbies we choose to do with our 'pet' dogs
    I dont have agility dogs, I have dogs who do agility
    health, temprament and ability to live happily with your dog, these are the MOST important factors, so I see no more of a problem in someone breeding 'pet' dogs as I do people breeding 'pet' dogs who might be shown a bit or 'pet' dogs who might do a bit of agility
    I think some people think there hobbie is a bit more important than the individual dog
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.