Crossbreeds eg Chorkies - what are the issues? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jacsicle, Mar 13, 2012.

1. tipsy

tipsy New Member

Name:
    claire
    Now he is ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:049: :049:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jacsicle

Jacsicle New Member

Name:
    Jacsicle
    I'm just going with experience - I really like my friend's Chorkies as they are really small, but still have that stocky dog appearance. I am after a dog that won't require masses of exercise or be too highly strung (I realise a puppy will be higher energy, I mean throughout the majority of it's life) and will be a good loyal easy-going and affectionate companion whilst not looking too lap-dog-ey. If that makes sense. I intend to follow training classes etc and do everything I can to cover the 'nurture' end of things.

I am very open to suggestions!
  4. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I think the reality is that most people breed crossbreeds just because they can, not because they have the breeds best interests at heart (as reputable breeders should). I personally wouldn't buy a crossbred puppy for this reason -- I'd rather support a rescue if I wanted a cross.

Why not just get one or the other if that cross interests you? I don't have any experience of Chihuahuas, but Yorkies totally fit your requirements by the sound of it. They are great fun and up for anything. :)
  5. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Judy a chi cross..

29-02-12 Judy is a cute little 12 week old Chihuahua cross puppy. She is very petite with a very waggy tail! She absolutely loves human company and is looking for a person of her very own to love. Judy will need to attend puppy training classes & will need to be spayed at 6 months.

[​IMG]

13-03-12 UPDATE
    What a little cutie! Judy has been with us just a few days but her personality is already shinning through. People are her passion - to get attention or praise and she is in heaven. She loves nothing better than haring around the garden playing chase and tug the teddy with the other pup or the resident dogs, big or small as long as they want to play. She is desperate to have cuddles and give licks, so when you sit on the sofa she thinks it is an invite for a cuddle, once up (in a flash) she cuddles in after giving you a thank you lick and falls asleep. As you can see in the photo she is always practicing her licking and it could be on YOU!! Judy has been walking nicely on a harness with a very waggy tail. She met lots of children today coming out of school and is learning to keep her paws on the floor when saying hello. She has been going outside to do her business and also used the puppy pads put down when the door is shut. She sleeps well in her crate with the other pup and comes when called in the garden and house.
    [​IMG]

BEING FOSTERED IN NEAR SWINDON, WILTSHIRE from many tears.
  6. Jacsicle

Jacsicle New Member

Name:
    Jacsicle
    She is exactly what I am looking for....except I am not ready yet! We have a holiday in May so I am not looking to get a puppy until after that as it would be too unfair on them settling in. Also, we are basically at the consideration stage over it all. My husband would have a heart attack if I did anything too quickly. However, I do get your point that there are rescue dogs out there that fit what I am looking for.

What rescue websites etc should I be keeping an eye on then? I've only looked at RSPCA/Blue Cross/Battersea until coming on here.
  7. ljru1970

ljru1970 New Member

Name:
    ljru1970
    Try Manytears rescue. They have many many dogs and puppies looking for good homes. They collect dogs and pups from the pounds in Ireland whose time is up and are going to be destroyed, and also take in in ex breeding bitches & stud dogs as well as taking unwanted pets from members of the public.
  8. Wild Rose

Wild Rose New Member

Name:
    Maura
    What you want to do is contact a chihuahua rescue and a yorkshire terrier rescue. They will sometimes have a mix. Also, a small dog rescue (many tears in above post). If chi x yorkie is a designer breed they will end up in rescue sooner or later. It is unlikely you will find a puppy, but it does happen, especially if it was an accidental breeding.