Different colour sharpei? General Chat

Discussion in 'Shar Pei' started by x-clo-x, Apr 28, 2012.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe

Different colour sharpei?

saw a man and i presume his daughter walking a sharpei puppy this morning whilst i was waiting for the bus.

the puppy looked like a sharpei, in every way, except its colour which made me wonder.

the puppy was mainly white with some blue patching on its back and on its head.

can you get blue and white sharpei?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but you can get parti-colourerd Shar Pei, I think they are termed "flowered".
  4. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    thanks for that. interesting i never knew that, was a gorgeous looking pup anyway :grin:
  5. DoKhyi

DoKhyi New Member

Name:
    DoKhyi
    Correct. It's a fault for the showring, but some people breed them and they are not cheap to buy. Obviously, 'flowered' sounds more expensive than 'particoloured' and 'pet quality'. There was someone in the USA who bred them and came up with some bogus and convoluted reason why the flowered pattern was genetically unique to the shar-pei. Something about the inverted v she could see on the back of their head - the one just like many springer spaniels, jack russells and nearly every other particoloured dog has. :rolleyes:

They're pretty to look at, but if I was going to pay for a pet quality one I'd rather have a bearcoat that are usually sold for less than a show quality pup, not more. I would never pay more for any breed just because of the puppy's colour, coat type or markings.
  6. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    Thanks for the reply. It certainly was a stunning looking puppy :mrgreen:
  7. DoKhyi

DoKhyi New Member

Name:
    DoKhyi
    Forgot to say, the primary foundation male that Matgo Law used was flowered. Down Home's Sweet Pea will be found in almost all shar-pei pedigrees in the West.

[​IMG]

I nearly adopted this flowered bearcoat before getting Sophie, but she was just too early as my little horsecoat was still on her last legs and I didn't think it was fair on her to bring in a new dog until she'd passed on. I was told her owner had bred a couple of litters from her as well as using her as a canine model before putting her up for rehoming. :-(

[​IMG]
  8. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    what a beautiful dog :007: can honestly say ive never cobsidered the sharpei as a breed id own.. but i love the bearcoated ones!
  9. DoKhyi

DoKhyi New Member

Name:
    DoKhyi
    I know - I'm still a bit gutted that I didn't get her, but then I would have never had my little horror bag Sophie. :grin:

[​IMG]
  10. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    shes gorgeous :mrgreen:
  11. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han
    Bless her - she is gorgeous! :007: xx