Do we know what we own? Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Hayley SBT, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Yes i have similar to that in a book i have,
    They almost worship the quality of aggresive gameness,and are usually as willing to fight each other as to watch the animals.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    I've had some catching up to do, I cant belive that this is still going on :lol:

I havent had chance to read all the replies I am still going through them.

But here goes...

I as I have stated in previous posts, live in a home where my life is shared by dogs of various ages, and of Various breeds, most of which are Bull Breeds two of which come from the world of fighting history (If I were to read much deeper into things, they probably all do, with the exception of my Poodle cross)

I will defend my dogs to the death, I love everything about them, good and bad, I dont think theres such a thing as a bad owner just 'bad ownership' and with that I mean people who are either deluded who just take on dogs for whatever reason, then theres those that take on dogs without knowing that much about them. As an owner who shares their life with dogs that have come from allsorts of backgrounds, dogs who are not the same breed, dogs who are the same sex...etc etc. I am only too fully aware of what my dogs are capable of - the day I chose to bring those dogs into my home I hope shows that I was fully committed to them and responsible enough to be their owner. Each and everytime I have taken or offered a home to a dog (with the exception of one) I have spoken to people within the breed and read up as much as I can about them. I do not flick through dog magazines, never have, never would, infact the only dog magazine thats been brought into this house is 'Countrymans Weekly' as the Ex was an avid Lurcher man which was the specific reason those were in the house, they were never read by me.
    I never look too deep into what gets written within the press as most of it is 'scaremonging' and I dont really entertain that basically because of the breeds I own.
    Why did I chose to share my life with such breeds? Not because I am a 'chav' or a 'Yob' but because I wouldnt feel at 'one' with myself if I didnt, these are the breeds that I have come to love because its been instilled within me, I dont have to bleat on about their 'fighting' history because thats exactly what it is 'history'..a thing of the past. Any responsible dog owner that continues to mention 'history' (I always look at 'History' as a past tense) does not in my eyes deserve to own such animals, any owner that is basically saying 'History' should repeat itself, should in my eyes be banned from keeping such animals for life.

I love my dogs as an owner of these 'historic' breeds its up to me to defend them, love them and administer the sort of training I wish not to see within my breeds. I don't want to see my dogs hurt, I do not want my dogs to be a nuciance to other dogs or animals, and I am proud to see my dogs back down to prevent injury to another animal and I certainly do not want to see my 'Historic' breeds banned because of the prat that holds other 'Historic' breeds at the other end of the lead.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2006
  4. Luke

Luke New Member

How long have you owned staffords? Three years or so?
    Sorry but thats a mere drop in the ocean-and yes admittedlly you have spoken (probably) in length to experienced stafford people-this still doesn't mean you know everything and fully understand the breed.
  5. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch

Pardon ?
    How do you think so many of us who have had to work to rehabilitate dog aggressive bull breeds [ and others ], which have been dumped or seized because of owners who didnt have a clue about their own dogs or who *did* listen to those who extol the `virtues` of fighting breeds ?

Do you really think any of us can turn a dog around by *not* understanding the underlying traits and character involved especially when they have been compounded with human ignorance / poor judgement / cruelty and whatever else resulted in a problem dog ?
    Why do you think so many of us here try to impress upon people to do their research before they get *any* dog ?

Please dont come out with such sweeping statements about people who *have* to know about these dogs in very great depth when they need help in order to help them have safe and happy lives after they have been damaged by the wrong sorts, either by genetics or innapropriate treatment.
  6. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Oooh lets see four years or so of owing Staffords, and knows it all.

I have owned Bull & Molosser breeds 16 years and I am not afraid to say I am still learning!
  7. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Same here,we have owned staffords for 17 years+ and i am still learning,i don't think you can ever stop learning.
    3-4 years and knows the breed inside out,i meet plently of these day in day out:-(
  8. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    Why cant you grasp the fact that if no one was breeding or causing dog aggressive dogs, then NO dogs would NEED to defend themselves :?
  9. Luke

Luke New Member

Ditto-just a year or odd short of you-had them best part of my life so far, been around them all my life-i still wouldn't call myself an expert!
    Known people had them 20 years + and they still would not call themselves an expert!!
  10. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    I don't think you can ever learn enough, even when you've learnt as much as you can, theres more to be learnt and then some.

It's okay to read between the lines of History but thats not what the dogs are about today, as we all know their reputations are lying on the line sadly all this does not help.

Hayley I am not meaning to be rude and I dont know wether this has already been said. I dont think after reading all this you should actually own Staffords you are bringing the breed into disrepute because of your knowledge (or could that be lack of it?) and doing the Stafford as a breed no favours at all. I cant help thinking that people who have been in the Stafford breed for years must be cringing when reading all this :-(
  11. Housedog

Housedog New Member

Name:
    Jim Mc Cafferty.
    Thank you for furnishing the debate with the above info. There was NO such a breed as The Staffordshire bull terrier until it's recognition by The KC in 1935. Furthermore there is NO documented proof that crossings between Bulldogs&Terriers ever took place in the conception of The Staffordshire bull terrier. Opinions maybe but NO documented proof.
  12. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Well maybe the information is wrong then :D
    But if theres NO documented proof that these crossings took place then why exactly are they called Staffordshire BULL TERRIERS?
  13. Housedog

Housedog New Member

Name:
    Jim Mc Cafferty.
    I have numerous friends, "whom I imagine look through similiar eyes to your own Azz" they are THEIR eyes not mine, but when the Volcano erupts which most will in the lifetime of their charges what a look of surprise is reflected in those eyes.
    Dogman/Woman are words I have heard regularly since childhood, and those titles are used widely in the greater world of The Canine.
    I also think it most insensitive to question another self-esteem but if that is the way of the all seeing compassionate doglover maybe it is better I am not seen as one.
  14. Housedog

Housedog New Member

Name:
    Jim Mc Cafferty.
    The simplest answer to your question is that the name Bulldog was already taken, as was the name Bull Terrier, "by the dogs "invented" byJames Hinks. As by far most of the initial Staffordshire bull terrier Club members were from the Black Country hence the name of Staffodshire.
  15. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    I know about the 'Staffordshire' bit was just curious as to how's they got the Bull & Terrier part of their name...obviously this is a question no one can answer as its not been documented :D
  16. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    I was informed that they originally wanted to call it the Original Bull Terrier but as the English Bull terrier was already recognised by the Kc these owners and breeders appealed against it,so a meeting was held and they decided on the Staffordshire Bull terrier.
  17. Housedog

Housedog New Member

Name:
    Jim Mc Cafferty.
    With respect there is no such as breed as English Bull Terrier.It is Bull Terier.
  18. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch

Usual recognition given to define which Bull breed it is [ as used by breeders and just about anyone else who knows what one looks like ! ] is :

Bull Terrier [ English ].

I believe that to be the one nissanmad was referring to, and was a perfectly valid way to make the point imo, and to let anyone reading the thread but doesnt know Bull breeds which one the name was given to and why it was not allowed for Staffies.

Being pedantic about it does not make any difference to the fact that dog aggression is a dangerous trait for any dog to have and should not be encouraged by those who get some strange thrill out of it or have so obviously little understanding of the Staffie breed as to think that a non-aggressive Staff or one with such strength of character that they have the self control to not attack other dogs even under extreme provocation is not a `real` Staffie.

Its holding back which takes true strength, confidence, and bravery in a dog faced with another which may attack, not being so desperate or *fearful* that they feel they have to defend themselves by displaying aggression.
  19. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci

Geeeez if were going to be so specific have the grace to spell Terrier instead of 'Terier'.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  20. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    And can you prove they weren't ? None of us were there at the time so we can never know for sure what breeds were introduced.
    I am a Midlands girl, I grew up with Staffs around me and though I don't profess to know a lot about them I know a bit more than some. It is my understanding that when bullbaiting became less popular and dogfighting took over the Bulldog was crossed with a terrier, possibly the tough little 'pit terriers' the miners used to have, this made for a lighter more agile breed. Within the breed there were different strains/types and those who say the old Staffs were longer in the leg are not correct, some were some weren't. During fights the shorter heavier dogs were better able to stand their ground and were not knocked off their feet so easily while the leggy terrier type dogs were able to move around faster . Dogfighting became illegal in the middle of the 19th centaury, like many illegal things (bare knuckle fighting for one thing) it became romanticised and still is, and the sick sport that was dogfighting is still held onto by a few sad people.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2006
  21. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    What do you mean exactly? Are you referencing the point where they witness their dog in 'combat' with another?

Not sure if you know, but Hayley has a history on the internet - I wanted to ask the question if nothing else but to get her to think about it.

There are a lot of people who she doesn't like and a lot who don't like her, so it could effect her self-esteem. If that was the case, she would be far more impressionable then she would otherwise, and perhaps more inclined to take on the views of anyone who shows her acceptance.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.