Do we know what we own? Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Hayley SBT, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roxy

Roxy New Member

Name:
    Roxy
    What do you class as a true Staffy?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Naomi

Naomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    The stafford is not being stripped of anything apart from it's good name by irresponsible people who openly encourage the dog aggression. Why keep the aggressive tendancy? It's no longer needed in society.

If we keep the aggression there wont even be a breed to call a staffordshire bull terrier let alone, as you call it, a 'true one'
  4. Luke

Luke New Member

Yes me too Azz, i couldn't imagine ever wanting my dogs not to be good with other animals. Only folk i know of who think like this are those who have dogs for names/status symbols etc. Again, not saying anyone on board is-merely pointing something out.:)
  5. Housedog

Housedog New Member

Name:
    Jim Mc Cafferty.
    He stays silent and waits for the day, when the rolling thunder within him can be unleashed
    Of whom do I speak, I am speaking of the loyal, intelligent, protective and bred for action, Staffordshire bull terrier. The love conquers all attitude hold no water with him, he who from birth is programmed for the love of combat. Unlike humans, The Stafford does not possess a multitude of personalities. From his conception the Ghost Dogs have invaded his phsyche and at some point in his life they shall be seen.
    Most owners only ever hear half the orchestra within their dog, the one where they do all the conducting. How many of your baton waves consist of, NO, STOP THAT, LEAVE, and so on. You can convert a non believer to Christianity, but you can't make a Stafford a Poodle.
    I sometimes ask myself if Stafford owners are comprehensively aware of the dog that is at the end of the lead.
    I have never fully come to terms with the reasons why people choose The Stafford as opposed to many other breeds, that fulfill the human need every bit as much as The Stafford does.
    Is it our need to tame the untameable?
    Is it the instant talking point when The Stafford name is mentioned?
    Or is it because you have" After many weeks thought" you truely believe you can fulfill the canine needs of The Stafford and not the human need to have a Newspaper Headline on a leash?
    When you first bring your pup home, and he yaps and growls, and plays tug with everyone. The young dog who is obedient, well behaved, and showing that love conquers all.
    I wonder as the dog reaches maturity, how many see the second when he grows still and silent, his mind in neutral, then the Ghost Dogs whisper becomes a roar, and the realisation of what he truely is, is welcomed by him.
    This is his time, how many of us would aknowledge it, how many would even recognise it, or do we just put it down to a break in the schedule, or some aspect of training that we missed.
    I do not know how many have heard the awesome power of the full orchestra, but we had all better listen, for one day if we are unaware of it, it will deafen us with it's silence.

This is of particular interest in this debate, "Never underestimate what you have at the end of your lead!!!!"
  6. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Hayley, no one is having a dig at you :)

Dog on dog aggression is a terrible thing to have to live with, and you know I can speak about this because I have had to suffer the consequenses firsthand, then either make the choice of having to deal with it or suffer having a perfectly healthy dog put to sleep to save the others that lived with me at the time as there really was no other way. My problems were sorted, my dog is happier because if it and with her I live one day at a time because I know theres always a chance that it could re-surface, so for her sake and that of my others I live life always on gaurd, not because I dont trust her or the others, but the silliest of things could set her off.

I am sure many on here deal with those consequences every day of their lives, and just wish it wasnt happening.

Why wouldnt anyone wish this was a trait a dog didnt own? Why, because no one should have to live life like that in their own home. If this is a trait you like then you are taking a chance owning three Staffords, two of which are males, dont matter if both of them or neutered or not, it IS something you could possibly face sometime in the future, I just hope for your sake that its something you dont have to deal with plus it dont matter how highly your dogs are trained, I thought and made the mistake of thinking I knew my dogs and it would never happen, but it did, you can never say never.
  7. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Jim wonderful post and thank you, what you have wrote there is true and beautiful xx
  8. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    And your opinion about dog-aggression in Staffs is...?

The staff will still be a great dog, even without any dog aggression - why do you think it will not? It's one trait, and thankfully, not a trait that millions of Staff owners see everyday... it's all the other things about a Staff that they see, and they are the traits, the charcteristics, the reasons, why they love them.
  9. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Urm Ahhh don't know quite what to think of that as it describes many breeds, not just that of the Stafford.

Now this bit I think most members would agree with and completely understand.

But we are taking about issues being bred out - does it make them less of a dog? I think not
  10. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    nicci just to reply to u
    im well aware the fact i own 2 males but hes not even 4 months old yet
  11. Housedog

Housedog New Member

Name:
    Jim Mc Cafferty.
    It IS an integral part of The Staffordshire bull terrier to possess this trait, irrespective of what ONE may assume A Stafforshire bull terrier that readily accepts others of his kind is a mere caracture of breed. The day he/she does not you will see the REAL dog not what some wish him/her to be.
  12. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Good Hayley, because as a Bully Breed owner that is something I would never contemplate doing - owning two males. Dog on Dog aggression can start to surface at any time, like I said lets hope that as an owner of two Male Staffords you never have to experience that.
  13. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Oh dear :roll: What a load of romanticised twaddle! Next you will be saying it was good for little boys to be stuck up chimneys it cleared their chests! The days of fighting dogs are gone or should be, those who hold onto some romanticised illusion of the tough Saffy are deluded .
    What makes me laugh is these are the very people who bleat on about the DDA, yet it is people like these who want to hold on to the aggressive image of the breed, and breed to perpetuate some romantic ideal who give Staffs a bad name.
  14. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Thank you Mini :) :) :)

You have put into words what I was thinking but couldnt find the polite way of putting it across. :grin:
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Just to move this topic on a little -

What would others think about breeding the manageable aggression/protection out of GSDs, breeding the herding instincts out of collies, the hunting instinct out of terriers etc etc in order that they make better pets and are easier to live with in today's society?

I still can't agree under any circumstances with breeding dog aggressive dogs, but I think if we start to change the characters of our breeds in order to make them easier to live with ... where will it end?

I don't think I am explaining myself well at all, but I know what I mean :neutral:
  16. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    minihaha i think you are rude and there was no need for that disrespect and shold say sorry to housedog
  17. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley

I totally disagree with it moobli to be honest why change something to suit yourself, get anothr breed to suit you instead of changing it, if you cannot deal with what comes with the breed then you should be owning it and i can understand what you are thinking
  18. Housedog

Housedog New Member

Name:
    Jim Mc Cafferty.
    With respect it is those who would rather turn a blind eye to the entire make-up of any breed who are the romantics. I have no wish what so ever to see children in chimneys just as I have no wish to see others scarred for life or worse because some fool was not aware of the ENTIRE uniqueness of The Staffordshire bull terrier or other bull breeds.
  19. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Moobli :) I don't think you can't equate the traits, herding animals and killing vermin does not get dogs put on the DDA or endanger the lives if people . I always understood that intelligence and obedience were the requirements of a GSDs not aggression. An aggressive dog is I would have thought less in control and therefore less likely to release hold when told to do so.
  20. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    why is it members and even mods make a good calm debate bad by being rude and nonchalant , this is a good debate where ive been asked if i condone dog fighting and near on being accused of doing it and yet im not heated but i should be
    this could be a good debate if people didnt ruin it
  21. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    so your saying dog agression in bull breeds is because they are out of control minihaha? and nothing to do with thier make up and natural instinct?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.