Dog for Aspergers daughter Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by spacehopper, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Deb/Pugglepup

Deb/Pugglepup New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    Hi,

I have a standard Yorkshire Terrier that stands about 15 inches.

She is a typical lap dog in the house. She feeds well, gets on well with other people, and generally enjoys a fuss.

But on the other hand......

She is up for playing a good game of ball in the park and can walk for miles a day. Molly is brilliant walking off lead, and is also trained to stay at the side of the road. She loves learning, and a friend of mine has a 15 year old child who has Downs Syndrome. Her Yorkie is the perfect companion for her daughter. She even takes her to bed with her every night.

Worth thinking about........... :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i know what you mean about being fast!! asbo flies round so quick he runs rings around everyone. :lol: maybe we should start a new sport of crestie racing :lol: :lol:

you would be suprised how many people go ewwww, or whats that? or is he ill? why does he have no hair? or why do you cut him like that? thats not a dog.... blah blah blah.... but then on the other hand you get so many nice people who ask about them, ask what breed they are and are genuinely interesting about the breed.
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim New Member

Name:
    Liesl
    The best one Ludi got was being called a freak of nature!!:roll: But they are a fantastic dog to get a conversation started, so excellent for helping your daughter meet people:grin:
  5. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    well asbo has been called an alien :roll: :roll: :lol: it was by some drunk man in the pub though, yes asbo goes to the pub :lol: :lol:
  6. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    If you don't have your hearts set on any particular breeds (you sound pretty open minded about it all!), then I think exploring rescues until you come across a dog that 'grabs' you is an excellent idea. There will be plenty of young adult dogs that have the energy and enthusiasm you require of MANY breeds and crosses, so don't limit yourself.

And for the record, my 3kg Yorkshire Terrier can easily keep up with my super high energy HPR breed. So don't be put off by size either, because most little dogs can easily give big dogs a run for their money. ;)
  7. Cadi

Cadi New Member

Name:
    Cadi
    Admittedly the berger blanc suisse specifically is a bit harder to find. They are still relatively new and their breeding is being carefully monitored to ensure a good foundation. You might have to check with breeders (some people return their dogs to the original breeder rather than a rescue) but admittedly they are still on the 'rarer' side of the spectrum.

I kinda have to agree with nova scotia duck toller too, those dogs are gorgeous!

One more suggestion, ever think of getting a working cocker spaniel? They look nothing like the show english cocker spaniels (less hair, more drive, like smaller springer spaniels) but they are awesome! A bit smaller than the tollers though. They are also a bit more common and can be found in rescues:

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2011
  8. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Since you say you may well get a rescue: there are lots of really lovely, sweet, friendly Labs in rescue. My Lab is a rescue and a friendlier dog you could not wish to meet :) He makes people smile on a daily basis.

So if your daughter would like a dog that will help her interact with others, then I really recommend a Lab; they're fab :mrgreen:

Make sure whichever dog you get, you give them a 'test walk' before making a decision, as that will tell you a lot about what they're like around people, other dogs, traffic, cats etc, and also if they walk nicely, pull on the lead etc.
  9. marianne38

marianne38 New Member

Name:
    marianne morris
    Your cocker is a beautiful dog
  10. Cadi

Cadi New Member

Name:
    Cadi
    Not mine unfortunately, just a quick google image search to show the massive difference between them and show cockers.
  11. jaymacv

jaymacv New Member

Name:
    Jay
    Dont know much about them, but you could look at portuguese podengos. They are uncommon but they are really cute and they have pricked ears? :?: