Drooping Tail Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Fscarr9, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Fscarr9

Fscarr9 New Member

Name:
    Frank

Drooping Tail

38997DB0-0428-489B-A24F-4CC122A3AA6C.jpeg Hello everyone! I’m new to this forum and to owning an Akita. But for the past few days now, my 12 week girl has had a drooping tail as shown in the picture. Her tail was fully curled but now it’s like how it is now. She still wags it and it doesn’t bother her at all when i touch it. But I don’t know how or what happened to make it drooping. I looked online and saw something about getting wet and the cold, but she’s never been wet and exposed to the cold before. I’ve showered her 2 weeks ago and dried her and her tail was still curly. If anyone could give me some information or know what to do. That would be greatly appreciated!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Is it always relaxed (not curly)? An Akitas tail will sometimes relax at home around those it considers part of its pack, but when out and about it will stay curled. I do remember my dogs tails not being as curly as puppies, I think.. Do you have a picture of her tail more curly? Have you spoken with the breeder? Perhaps it’s like ears that slowly start to stand up.. Sorry I don’t have a solid answer, just more questions
  4. Fscarr9

Fscarr9 New Member

Name:
    Frank
    Usua
    . It was always curly but now it’s down almost 95% of the time, and not yet i was going to keep an eye on it for another day to see if she curls it again.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Usually the application of gentle warmth will cure limber tail in a couple of days. Occasionally there can be pain which needs an anti-inflammatory to resolve it. I have never heard of a tail drooping and staying down without there being any pain or nerve damage.
    If this has not improved, I think I would have her checked by a vet.
  6. Fscarr9

Fscarr9 New Member

Name:
    Frank
    Yeah she’s still walking with it down, randomly when she’s playing with her toys, she’ll curl it for a second then it’ll go back down. So I’ll try making an appointment with the vet to see.