Epilepsy - a subject that should be mentioned Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Malka, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I know very well that Tawneywolf knows what she's talking about but I still think people will talk about what they want to.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    One of my son's friends has epilepsy and has no problem talking about it.
  4. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Trouble likes this.
    Malka - You seem to be blaming Breedia for people not talking about epilepsy. That's how it comes across to me and it is unfair. Nobody is stopping anyone talking about epilepsy - freedom of speech and all that. I can't understand the reasons for this thread and I have no idea why you seem to think it is a taboo subject but if - IF - there are people here with epileptic dogs who don't wish to discuss it that is their right. But I am certain they will be supported completely if they choose to post.

My dog is obviously epileptic but it does not define him. I don't want to be continually talking about Loki and epilepsy - there is so much more to Loki - he is not just Loki the epileptic. I do not post about him being epileptic all the time because after what must be 8 years, it's a fact of his life, end of. I post when he has fits these days usually only on the Daily Thread as something that's happening at that time - there's nothing anyone can do to stop the fits, no advice, nothing. I prefer to try to deal with it and get on with it - UNLESS things get really bad and then I might ask for support etc.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Ram, Dr Ram Perer, my Vet, is also epileptic and discusses it openly. He was 46 years old in December, just three months older than my daughter.

But one of the other mothers who attended the same ante-natal clinic and I, and then the same baby clinic after our children were born, had a son who developed epilepsy and had him put into a home and never mentioned his name again.

So it was happening even as late as that.

My point is that while it is now acceptable for people to discuss epilepsy, it seems to be swept under the carpet with dogs.

I cannot begin to tell you the number of people who said to me when Pereg was diagnosed "oh get rid of her, you can always get another dog". And people still say it. And tell me that I am crazy to spend so much on her medication and blood tests etc.

Would they say that to the mother of an epileptic child?

I do not think do.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    No Linda - I am not blaming Breedia, I am not blaming anyone. And I apologise if you thought I was.

But I do want more discussed about canine epilepsy. Here on Breedia - on Dogsey - everywhere where people have dogs.

And I know that you have not just Loki to cope with because unlike me you have two young children and a husband. And I know that Loki clusters far more than Pereg does.

But even though she does not cluster as such, her life, and mine, totally revolves around her epilepsy. 24 hours a day, seven days a week. My life revolves around alarm clocks going off every couple of hours from 7am until 11pm for medication, supplements etc - and I do not remember the last time I had an unbroken nights sleep.

So yes, canine epilepsy is something very important to me and I would like it discussed more. Here. On Dogsey. Anywhere and everywhere.
  7. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

I understand that Malka and it is the same for all of us who have dogs with epilepsy. It is a regime you have to follow.

If you want it discussed, why not start up threads on the subject (as has been suggested but I apologise, I forget who it was) and not be so aggressive about it all. We know how hard it is for you with Pereg so huge hugs but you only have to talk and people will listen and respond.
    x
  8. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

I have started an epilepsy thread. It's probably in the wrong place (oops) but I am cooking so a bit distracted. Hope this helps.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    If it is in this General Section then it is probably in the right place. And if only you and I post in it initially it can still be of help to others who might fine themselves with an epi.

I just had not realised, until I started reading through Breedia, just how prevalent the condition is among so many different breeds, although I was aware of many from The List. And yet just over three years ago I had never heard of an epileptic dog.
  10. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

One of our neighbours has a collie who gets fits. They've been mild but recently she had a full-blown one and was out for ages. The neighbour was really scared.