Ethical cross breeding??????????????? Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by gemma1984, Feb 14, 2011.

1. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma
    They rarley have puppies and I've tried before, you need to be home all day every day and have children over 5.
    Benn to RSPCA, DOGs trust, wood green and battersea in the past.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. angied

angied New Member

Name:
    angie
    i got a bt that has cecs but wouldnt have been picked uop from either parent when tested so sometimes testing isnt the be all and end all, and i would have loved a cross breed from a rescue but having 4 kids under 5 (THEY Wernt at teh time youngets was 3) didnt even get a home visit so 4 dogs that i got couldve been 4 dogs from rescue ctr . not everything is black and white
  4. rune

rune

I think she meant the owner wouldn't know if the dog had epilepsy because they weren't with them??

If so it would go as much for any breeder who kept their dogs outside---working or show.

rune
  5. rune

rune

Gemma---yopu said earlier that no adult dogs were there when you got your pup-----did you see the parents?

rune
  6. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma
    I think everyone missed the point it was a general question, not about myself, thanks anyway, interesting debate.
  7. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma
    I don't remember saying that and I replied to you, there were 6 adult dogs including the parents, and 4 puppies. otheriwse how would i know the parents looked ok.
    They were pets, not "stud and bitches".
  8. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    Your opening post was all about you, your purchase of a pup and your previous thread, so you made it personal to you :)
  9. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma
    was stating why i asked the question.
  10. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    OK thats absolutely fine :neutral:
  11. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma
    an adult dog could choke or become ill during the day, it's a chance you take by leaving them unsupervised.
    He's in a safe area where he only has access to his food, water and toys. I wouldn't be so silly to leave him near any electric cables or small objects, he's only got the skirting boards to destroy and doing a good job lol.
    I have someone letting him out at lunch time so his housetraining continues. So far so good, I was worried myself about leaving but doesn't bother him at all, he just sleeps.
    I know people that have set up web cams to watch thier puppies while they were at work and they played for an hour and slept the rest. It's funny when so many people say your dog will suffer anxiety from being left alone.
    My neighbours said they havn't heard him bark or wine once, and my walls are thin!
    If I had the funds to employ someone to check on the dog I would but we don't live in an ideal world and unfortunately we have to do the best we can with what we've in the situation we're in.
    I appreciate your comments.
  12. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Two points , if the dog is used at stud he becomes a stud dog,

Also you said earlier the dogs are working dogs, and thats why he bred them to produce working pups, as they were in high demand.
  13. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma
    the parents are working dogs, how is that relevant?
    I actually didn't say there were no adults there, the puppies must have come from some where lol.
  14. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma
    They didn't have adults of the cross, maybe you have miss understood.
    the mum was a collie and the dad was a golden lab, the other dogs were spaniels and jack russells, so you can't look at the parents and know roughly what the adult will look like.
  15. Adam P

Adam P

Must be different areas then, round here huntaway x collie and kelpie x collie is a popular working cross.

Adam
  16. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    This would be concerning when buying a pup.

For one you don't know if the farmer actually owns either dog if its not their. The pups could be from a puppy mill even though you bought them at the farm.

It isnt just about looks its nature as well, and also the health of the animal. Next thing, puppies behaviours can be genetically linked. As you have not met the parent dogs you dont know if they were nervous or aggresive which could form the pups behaviour.
  17. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma
    I met the mother(collie) and da (lab), thier working/pet dogs, the farmers kids were all over the dogs and they didn't bat an eye. What would lead me to believe they were actually from a puppy mill?
    They were with thier mum still lol.
    again stearing away from the subject, but I don't want anyone to think I got a dog from a puppy farm.
  18. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma
    I know a few people with spaniel crosses that are used as gun dogs. My step dad had a lab cross as his last gun dog, god knows what it what crossed with but looked nothin like a lab. He was brilliant.
    Not a deliberate cross but I've found they're quite commonly used.
    And at the end of the day as long as it the basic traits that you want the rest comes with training.
  19. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I am so lost, qhat I quoted said they only had spaniels and JRT.

Thats why i said if parent dogs arent there, or they refuse to show you parent dog they can have come from a puppy mill.
  20. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma
    they had the puppies, the collie, the lab, 2 spaniels, a couple that looked like JRTs.
    I meant they didn't have an adult labxcollie, only the puppies, so you can't see the size etc that it might be.
    Obviously I can hazard a guess that it be between the mum and the dad.
    Really made me want a farm and a pack of dogs lol, don't know about the smell though, pups had been moved out to a stable during the day so our house stunk like a farmyard for a week lol.
  21. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    You have bought a puppy from a puppy farm or back yard breeder. Call it what you like, the fact remains.

I'd have a lot more respect for you if you had the integrity to at least admit that

a - you didn't bother to do proper research into the health tests needed

b - you didn't ask the 'breeder' about the health tests, temperament tests etc

Instead of admitting that you made a mistake - albeit one resulting in your having a lovely pup - you just keep trying to make out that it wasn't a puppy farm!

But it was.

You started the thread - you've received honest responses.

Nothing wrong in making a mistake, but at least be honest enough to acknowledge it.

Then cross your fingers blinking hard that your puppy remains healthy.