Eurasier Dogs - anyone seen this breed before? General Chat

Discussion in 'Eurasier' started by Helena54, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena

Eurasier Dogs - anyone seen this breed before?

My vet receptionist who held our puppy classes brought her puppy (9 months now) to the show, and I've never heard of this breed before, let alone seen one, but this dog was stunning.

I met her parents on my walk this morning with their choccy labs and she said she had terrible, terrible problems training him, but he seems to have settled nicely now, and believe me, she knows what she's doing with dogs, being a trainer herself, so I should imagine they can be quite a challenge! Lovely dogs I think:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Yep - have heard of them....think I met them at DD one year?
    Don't remember finding them very interesting I'ma fraid...not my kind of dog :blush:
  4. louise81

louise81 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Yes,its a spitz type dog from germany in the 1900s around 1960 or so i think.They are family orientated and are wary of strangers but are a balanced breed of dog.They are lovely looking i agree.
  5. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    They are a lovely breed, we looked at them originally as OH likes Northern/Spitz breeds. :)
  6. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    yes, cuddled some at discover dogs. They were developed from the Keeshond and Chow, so can be quite stubborn, but as they were created as companions, they are very people oriented. If you own a spitz type dog, you shouldn't expect miracles when it comes to training. They will do it if they think it's a good idea!
  7. JanieM

JanieM New Member

Name:
    Jane
    Yes, there's one in our agility class. He's lovely but a bit bonkers. He has mad moments of running around the equipment in circles and trying to get other dogs to join in!
  8. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I've never met one in the flesh but heard of them many years ago and have watched how they have progressed over the years.
    Becky
  9. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    They are beautiful, never seen one in the flesh only in books. I cannot get that breed description up, but remember their photos in books.

I'm not sure as my memory is crap, but I'm sure I read somewhere they that are one of the few breeds that like cats? Can anyone verify this?:017:
  10. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    There is one by me, takes off at every opportunity, very "independant" and pleases itself, not helped by useless owners, "Jasper" certainly rules their lives!!
  11. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Here you go AM, certainly one big fluffy bear isn't he, and this one is just like the one I'm talking about, same colour too

[​IMG]

Did they die a death then rather like those afghan hounds in the 60's. I thought maybe they might be a new breed or something.
  12. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    The Afghans were popular in the 70's. Im not sure Eurasiers are the same, they have been here a good while.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2009
  13. louise81

louise81 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    I dont think its the Eurasier breed that your thinking of,Being as they were developed only 50 years ago they do still take on the characteristics of the 3 breeds that made them.Some may be more alert with aggressive tendencies like the chow chow towards strangers and some may be more timid and love people,cats etc like the samoyed.Therefore i would not say the breed has a whole is good with cats their temprament is too diverse.Hope that helped.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2009
  14. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    We have one at our Ob club...... it sounds much the same, Lovely dog , but bilybonkers! & loves running wild!!!

It is alot smaller than i thought theyd be though
  15. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Funny you should say that - I've seen them on TV and in books but I met my first ones only recently and was also a bit surprised - I thought they'd be Samoyed or even Chow sized! But they aren't. Flummoxed me a bit, but in a way, I felt more drawn to them for some reason. I don't think I'd suit the temperament, but they're strikingly attractive and cute.
  16. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    ditto ....ditto & ......ditto! exactly!!!!!
  17. Valdf

Valdf New Member

Name:
    Val