Find The Pitbull General Chat

Discussion in 'American Pit Bull Terrier' started by Hayley SBT, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    opps wrong place
    sorrry
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. lovezois

lovezois Fondly remembered

Name:
    Eunice
    Got it first time, but think it was more by luck than knowledge
  4. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    I lurk on a Pit Bull forum and people on there say that the Am Staff and the Pit Bull were initially the same breed although there are differences now. Apparently done for BSL, insurance and other reasosn. How true it is I don't know but it's what I've seen said there.

And back on topic I narrowed it down to 2 dogs and got it on the 2nd go.
  5. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    I belive that the Amstaff is the show type version of the Pitbull, someone please correct me if I am wrong :)
  6. Nursey

Nursey New Member

Name:
    Nursey
    I doubt that somehow, not 100% sure, but according to the AKC website, the American Staffordshire Bull Terrier breed standard dates back to June 1936. The American Pit Bull Terrier is not an even AKC recognised breed. :)

http://www.akc.org/breeds/american_staffordshire_terrier/index.cfm

Dawn R.
  7. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    took me three goes but i was shocked at how easily they can be mixed up....
  8. ragga_dood

ragga_dood New Member

Name:
    Ragga_dood
    "I belive that the Amstaff is the show type version of the Pitbull, someone please correct me if I am wrong "

You are totally correct, until the 1930's they were all "American Pitbull Terriers", then some people took a particualr "fancy" to a "type" of pitbull and called this type "American Staffordshire Bull Terrier". Even today, many American Staffs are dually registered as American Pitbull terriers also. The term "pitbull" classed the pit fighting bulldogs and bull terriers of the 18th century. The original name for the American Bulldog was "American pit bulldog", then the word "pit" was taken out (i think in the 1980's) because of all the bad press press with pit bull terriers. So, before the term "Staffordshire bull terrier" was coined, bull terriers, as well as those that would now be called Staffs were called "pitbulls", they were pit fighting dogs, any Bull terrier that fought in the pit was called a pitbull. These dogs were taken over to the U.S. and formed the bloodlines that are now "American Pitbull Terriers". If they were out-crossed we'll never know, but there is a widely accepted theory that the American Pitbull Terrier was created purely by breeding the largest of the bull terriers imported to the U.S. from the U.K., thereby creating a larger Bull Terrier.

Links

http://www.moloss.com/brd/ab/b010/b010b/history.html

http://www.moloss.com/brd/ab/b010/b010c/history.html

p.s.
    reply to
    "I doubt that somehow, not 100% sure, but according to the AKC website, the American Staffordshire Bull Terrier breed standard dates back to June 1936. The American Pit Bull Terrier is not an even AKC recognised breed."

In 1898 Chauncy Bennet started the United Kennel Club (UKC) with the sole purpose to registry the Pit Bull, since the breed not were registered when the AKC was established in 1884.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  9. ragga_dood

ragga_dood New Member

Name:
    Ragga_dood
  10. lizziel

lizziel New Member

Name:
    lizzie
    I got it first time but have to admit to being a bit cynical and going for the dog who looked the most layback and docile as I thought the site seemed to be aimed at winning over the general public and would therefore use a picture that would uphold the impression they are trying to promote.
  11. lizdll

lizdll New Member

Name:
    liz
    Well it took me 7 goes just proves i havent got a clue then. thanks for that it was a real eye opener :grin:
  12. gaz

gaz New Member

Name:
    Gary
    it took me 3 goes, but that was a guess, i have seen pit bulls many years ago but a lot of them pic looked simular to them. It just goes to show
  13. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I got it second time but it could have taken longer if I had not know the other breeds, eg if they had used more staff x's or bull x's it may have taken me longer! to be honest I would not like to be the one who decided if dog A is a pit or not especialy if it were to be PTS on my judgement.
  14. Cumbrian Lass

Cumbrian Lass New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    I shocked myself then as I got it first go. I wasn't too impressed by them using photo's whereby the dogs ears have been clipped :-(
  15. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    Extremely surprised to get it in one go, I had seen another similar thing and the dog on that one was a tan dog, so when I saw this site and no tan dog I thought it would take me a few times to get it right.

Mo
  16. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Got it in one! Woo hoo!
  17. Nikki_and_Brodi

Nikki_and_Brodi New Member

Name:
    Nikki
    it took me 2 attempts! I never realised there were so many! they are all gorgeous dogs! the dogue de bordeau is gorg! so much like my aunts bitch!
  18. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    the whole idea of it is because people have a set image of a pitbull, massive with cropped ears, when is can be so different, which they are trying to show, i hate cropped ears