Foundation breeds of the APBT General Chat

Discussion in 'American Pit Bull Terrier' started by Bulldogs4Life, May 15, 2015.

1. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee

Foundation breeds of the APBT

Like many breeds the APBT came about by mixing other breeds. These breeds included bulldogs and terriers. These crosses & blended dogs were primarily used as pit dogs and over time developed into a distinct breed which became known as Pit Bull Terrier.

[​IMG]
    Bulldog
    These dogs were used to bait and hold bulls as well as other large animals. They were much different than today's (English) Bulldogs. These dogs were tough, athletic dogs with longer leg and muzzle. This type of dog needed to be functional at this time in history. They were not exactly standardized but a type did develop. They appear to have been medium to large dogs.

[​IMG]

Terriers were used to hunt, control varmint and small animal baiting. These were small, tenacious, fearless dogs.
    Black & Tan Terriers as well as a White Terrier.
    [​IMG]
    Black & Tan Terrier
    There are several breeds of terriers which have the black and tan coat, when speaking of the old black and tan terriers of history that are behind the APBT you should picture something like a smooth coat Fell/Patterdale. A tenaciously game small to medium size dog. These Terrier types eventually developed into distinct breeds (this applies to all terriers bred by function but developed in specific regions or grouping of dogs, the show world also played a part in standards breeding). These dogs apparently crossed well with bulldogs to create pit fighting dogs.
    [​IMG]
    Shipley's Boxer Noonan Black & Tan strain APBT.

[​IMG]
    Blue Paul Terrier
    Not much is known about the exact origin of these dogs. They were said to be medium sized ranging from 35-45lbs and to have originated in Scotland. They were powerfully built. These pit dogs were said to be very fierce fighting dogs. Not only were they blue but red (red smuts) and brindle coats were also seen. They eventually became extinct.
    [​IMG]
    Ad by Vickery a breeder of both Bull Terrier & Pit Bull Terrier. Note No. 5 Blue Bob.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    White Terrier
    The English White Terrier was developed for the white color though that seems to have been their downfall as it is reported deafness became prevalent in this now extinct breed. That also being the reason for their decline in breeding and therefore their extinction. The show type dog was bred from prick eared white dogs (though some were cropped) for white color as small companion animals. Ranging from 5-10lbs though there was a class for dogs over this weight it doesn't seem the larger dogs were as common. While these dogs were being bred for looks as many breeds recognized by the KC came to be there does appear some white terriers used as ratters. This is an old oil painting I will link to.
    http://www.blackbrookgallery.co.uk/archive_product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=90
    1854 is prior to the redevelopment of the more show only type, which was said to have taken place in the 1860s.

[​IMG]
    Champion Diamond a white APBT Australian bred

[​IMG]
    Grand Champion Richmond white APBT English bred

[​IMG]
    This photo is interesting because this dog was born in 1910 after the English Bulldog had already become a show oriented breed. He is a cross of Manchester Terrier and Bulldog. He could perhaps be cross of the more working Bulldog type, it's said their existence did continue. This F1 cross has a physical type is similar to that of a Pit Bull.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Nice post.
    Though I think you need to show that todays (English) Bulldogs, and todays Olde English Bulldogge, are not the Old English Bulldog a (extinct breed).

Your first 2 paintings are of a dog which died out in the 1830's.
    Crib and Rosa is the famous painting which many mistake for todays breeds, which where in all fact the last of the true Old English bulldogs a smaller mastiff breed, which are actually half the true breed since they where breed with greyhounds to make then quicker and lighter.

I think the true problem with todays APBT is it is link to a few breeds which are now (Extinct).

If it was from the Alaunt or Molosser, or Spanish dogs, or Old English bulldogs.

Where was they real step down in size?

Yes todays APBT is a great all around dog, but IMO there a bit of romantics with it and under the carpet history.

If they are from the monster dogs of history which are now mostly gone so be it.
    To many now are trying to bring them back to that. And the stock is gone to do that.

All in all there a great dog, sorry to say there a bastardized breed to often, which a true history is hard to prove.
  4. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Oh yes the real bulldogs are all gone. The ones of today are recreation or show ring development. It seems the APBT ancestral breeds are extinct.

I'm not sure bulldog extinction was that early? But either way some were crossed into the terriers or what have you to create pit dogs. The one with the two dogs and the bull, that is famous painting Crib & Rosa? Thank you for your added info it's very much appreciated.

I think they have a mixed heritage. Breeds die out over time but sometimes their lineage is preserved in other breeds. I think bulldog is the most realistic ancestor. I don't think they are direct from the Alaunt or anything. I think those who say they are such or the original bulldog preserved are the romantics.

Where was they real step down in size?
    I think the terriers would account for that being small breeds. I don't think they are of the large Alaunt or Molosser. Bulldogs medium to large. The dogs in the painting are not that big. Would these be dogs which were actually lurcher type dogs? Earlier bulldog x greyhound descendants? I also read of earlier bull and terrier crosses used in bull baiting. It isn't surprising since people were a lot more open to cross breeding at that time that greyhound, terrier or something else would be bred in. Many people did not think of strict close gene pool as we do today. They bred the dogs capable of the job together. Until the advent of the kennel Club.

True history is hard to prove of a great many breeds, some is outright made up. You will always have people that romanticize breed history. I think they want something unique or special or even a theory is simply chosen. Even in official breed history by breed clubs they are not always accurate. It's ironic too how they will also change the breed and then deem these extreme features "needed" for their historic function when they didn't come about until after and would inhibit function.

I've wondered if the Blue Paul was of bull & terrier or similar descent themselves.
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
  5. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    It's safe to say by 1910 the real bulldog was gone it's just hard to imagine the modern bulldog producing the dog pictured. Even though it is crossed with terrier.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Crib & Rosa.PNG

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

7. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Fascinating to see old photos and paintings of dogs. I love the pictures of the English White Terriers.