Good breeds for apartment living? General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Mosweu, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Mosweu

Mosweu New Member

Name:
    Alison

Good breeds for apartment living?

Hi, I have joined Dogsey as I am looking to get my first dog, having gone part-time at work and working part-time from home.

I have limited experience with dogs - when I was young my Dad had dogs, and I had a great relationship with them all, however they lived outside (he lived in Africa) and when we went for a walk, there were no leads involved. And I used to look after a friend's (rescue) dog, Tess, when they were away. Sadly she had to be put to sleep last year. This friend will look after my dog whenever I am away, and they have a cat and children, the youngest of whom is 9.

I think I would like a fairly young dog, but not sure whether I should go for a 'new' puppy. or slightly older.

I'm looking for a medium energy dog and, I think, medium size.

Ideally I'd like a low shedding dog that doesn't need grooming more than approx once a week.

As I live in a flat, I couldn't have, and wouldn't want, an incessant barker, and ideally not too much drool.

How long I have to leave my dog will vary initially, as still working part-time, so that would be 2 full days per week - although I would look into getting a dog walker.

Our flats only have a small communal garden, but I do live right next to a cycle path (converted railway line), which sees alot of dogs.

I'm happy to see that my dog goes out as often as needs be for toileting and at least twice a day for walks and would also be interested in taking us to agility training.

Any suggestions of breeds and where from, gratefully received.

Cheers, Alison
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 3dognight

3dognight

Name:
    phil
    awsome , nice to see your intrest in a new dog,i feel that a rescue dog who came from an apartment may be a good idea,? one who is familure and comforable .its all up to you and it sounds fun,smaller size would be a good start,just look for balance,you and the type,age ,stuff like that,it pays to inquier about different breeds,read up and get educated on your interest,most of all ,have fun and good luck to you..so many to choose from
  4. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    Rescued greyhound was the first thing that popped into my head. SO easy.
  5. Wild Rose

Wild Rose New Member

Name:
    Maura
    Cairn terrier. They will keep up with hiking, but aren't dependent on hard exercise. Bedlington Terrier, Boston terrier, papillon, or if you want a large dog, Spinone Italiano.
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Cavalier King Charles Spaniel the most cat like of dogs and usually quiet.

Bedlingtons are difficult to get hold of in the UK and you need to buy from health tested parents re copper toxicosis and are very expensive as are Boston Terriers.

Italian Spinone drool and collect debris in their beard and are high energy dogs requiring a great deal of exercise being an HPR. They also need very regular grooming.
  7. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    I'd second that. My Greyhound boy doesn't bark, is a low shedder, low energy in the house and doesn't take up much space and is my first dog.
  8. missy01

missy01 New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    Cavalier is my first thought too, and I am not being biased! Mine spent her first 6 years in a flat, and is a very happy little dog, they tend to sleep a lot when theres nothing going on, but will happily walk for miles too. Intelligent and easy to train, can be greedy but this is down to the owner to keep under control. Low shedding, easy to groom, benefits from a hair cut 3-4 times a year. fab little dogs, just make sure you get all the relevant test dones. Saying that there are quite a few ex breeding dogs in rescue at the moment, so that could be a good place to start.

Happy hunting!
  9. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Whippet is another that hasn't been mentioned. A friend of mine has two in a ground floor flat and they are very easy, low maintenance dogs. Don't cost much to feed, minimal grooming, don't bark much, are easy on exercise requirements and you could easily do agility with them.

I would definately avoid Spinones as suggested below. They are not suited to apartment living.
  10. Shanahan

Shanahan New Member

Name:
    Kerry
    My gut instinct would be to go for a Whippet, they are just amazing dogs and would give you a lot of pleasure. Living in a small house myself, I wouldn't recommend anything above a collie size personally.
  11. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    My dad had a Cavalier in a flat and that worked fine. She was a friendly and active dog so a dog-sitter for the days you`re out when young would be best.
  12. bellaluna

bellaluna New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    All breeds..

I have a labrador, we've lived the first 8 years of her life in an appartment on the 3. or 1. floor. We're still living in an appartment, but have now got a tiny garden.

Aslong as the dog gets the exercise and what have you, then indoor space is not an issue.

I know someone who had 2 samoyeds on a houseboat.

And I know, that where we lived before, atleast 2 families had samoyeds, and I also saw a Sct Bernard (which I would say, isn't suitable for appartments and stairs..

Good luck :grin:
  13. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    IMO most breeds can do just fine in a flat if the owners are willing and able to put the effort in to meet the dogs needs. I've had a border collie, what was probably a pointer mix and now have a labrador in a flat. I'd be very hesitant to get a giant breed unless I were ground floor but that's more the stairs issue as youngsters than anything else.

Cavaliers are awesome dogs. The ones I've met aren't yappy, don't really drool and although they're more than happy to go on long walks they don't bounce off the walls if they don't get a ton of exercise.
  14. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    I brought my 8 yr old Cavalier over to Cyprus with me in 2007 - she'd always lived in a house with a garden. She settled into an upstairs apartment JUST FINE. No problems whatsoever (she never went into the garden unless I was out there anyway).

I've always taken my dogs out (even to pee) rather than just let them out into the yard anyway.

I still took her out the same as before - Cavaliers are happy to be where you are - wherever that is. I am biased coz I love them!

I think the dog I have now (mini pinscher) is IDEAL for an apartment - but you do have to spend a bit of time training them to begin with (notorious barkers) - they are very busy, busy, busy, love to play and always running round hiding stuff - nice thing about Bella is if she wants to lie outside in the sunshine while I sit inside working - off she goes. Much more 'indpendent nature' than the Cavvy. If she decides it's time for bed before I do - off she goes again - the Cavvy would have stood at the door making 'make me feel guilty' faces and noises - but never dream of going up without me!

I understand from others that rescue whippets and greyhounds also make excellent apartment pets.

Also think about how often you might have to leave the dog alone at home. The last thing you want if living in an apartment is a dog that howls, whines and barks when you are away.
  15. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    I agree with Sarah, having brought a dog up living in a flat I think as long as you are dedicated it's not an issue.

I would avoid giants due to stairs, and VERY high energy, muddy dogs.
    I have a norwegian buhund who is perfectly happy in the flat.

Be careful that 'easy grooming' and 'low shedding' do not get mixed up. My dog doesn't need much of a groom but sheds like crazy so I use a little mini hoover once a day.

Also I got a fairly vocal breed but I've trained her right from the start to be quiet indoors. The only time she barks is when a noise startles her, but its only minimal.

With regards to toileting, you will need to take a dog out more than twice a day IMO. As a general idea Kestral goes out at 6am, 1pm, 6pm, 10pm, although it varies depending on what I'm doing.
    Also if you get a puppy, you will need to take time off work. Puppies need to go out every hour, and can't really be left alone for too long to begin with.

Breed suggestions:
    Boston terrier
    Cavalier
    Dachshund
    French Bulldog
    Havanses
    Italian Greyhound
    Papillon
    Toy poodle
  16. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Oh you left my min pin off your list! :(

We share the same views about successful toilet training. When they are tiny TAKE THEM OUT ALL THE TIME - I say every time they eat, drink or get excited and if none of those things, at least every 2hr anyway to start with. It never failed for me.

My 'trained not to bark' minpin is having a bit of a barky day today - some perratt is walking up and down on the roof of an adjacent apartment block. She is NOT used to seeing movement on the skyline! I actually closed the curtains at one stage so I didn't have to keep getting up to reassure her (that we were not being invaded by aliens from above)
  17. Northernsoulgirl

Northernsoulgirl New Member

Name:
    Gill
    I agree with the Cairn Terrier and I guess maybe any little terrier like that. They don't yearn for massive exercising but are happy to go with it when offered.
  18. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Yes-Cairn terriers are very nice dogs. I have had 2 and helped look after my Parent's dog too.

They are not barky like some terriers and can be trained (I did obedience and agility with mine). They do need a medium amount of grooming I would say but they don't moult.
  19. Darcy Boy

Darcy Boy New Member

Name:
    Yvonne
    1 of my whippets barks if someone calls, the other come noisy at 3mths & at 11mths I'm still having to work on leaving & him being quiet. With the first one I did not mind my garden being small, BUT the second one I do wish my garden was LARGE. They are lovely dogs, Scruples Whippet Rescue, seem to be a good whippet rescue.
  20. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    I agree....a greyhound! As for stairs, my grey has no issue with stairs. He flies up them with the greatest of ease...and back down again!!:mrgreen:
  21. misskatie20

misskatie20 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Mine is staff cross, medium size, doesn't ever bark unless there's a loud noise in the night. She loves her walks and has never known what its like to have a garden, but then she is a cross. But there's lots of staff x in rescues, maybe you could look into getting an older puppy from a rescue.