Good breeds for apartment living? General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Mosweu, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Suzanne2

Suzanne2 New Member

Name:
    Suzanne
    Please read up on the methods used by puppy farms before you decide where to get your dog from. They can fool you into thinking you are buying from a regular family.
    Lots of good advice on breeds in previous replies, so lots of luck.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jpepper

Jpepper New Member

Name:
    Jeffrey
    I owned a Finnish Spitz and it wasn't bad for an apartment dog.
  4. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick
    I remember, not that long ago, speaking to the owner of a rescue centre (is owner the right word?) and she told me that apartment / flat owners can sometimes make the best owners as they have no choice but to take the dog out for a walk. There's a lot of house owners with gardens who do nothing more than open the back door!
  5. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    Can't get much muddier than Spencer after a walk :lol: I wouldn't consider high energy a problem to be honest. But then I'm home all day, can easily devote several hours to exercising a dog and I enjoy doing it.

I take Spencer out roughly every 4 hours although he can go longer and does at times. It's a case of up and out in the morning and out last thing at night.

And yes, low grooming and low shedding are completely different things. Spen doesn't really need much grooming but I'm considering buying all new clothes, all yellow :lol:
  6. ljru1970

ljru1970 New Member

Name:
    ljru1970
    I'd recommend a Cavalier, small & quiet although never had one.

My personal experience of terriers is they yap for England.

Have you considered rescue? Manytears Rescue have loads of Cavaliers as well as other dogs. Avoid puppy farms or irresponsible breeders, even if you don't want a rescue check out Manytears to see the number of ex breeding bitches & stud dogs they take in when breeders no longer have any use for them. Good luck whatever you get, and lucky you living next door to a great place to walk.
  7. ljru1970

ljru1970 New Member

Name:
    ljru1970
    Hear Hear :)
  8. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever New Member

Name:
    Robyn
    Would you consider a staffy/ x ?
  9. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    just thought i would mention the chinese crested.

they are great little dogs, who will take as much exercise as you will give them, but are just as happy snuggled with you on the sofa. they are happy wherever you are.

they would manage in an apartment, as they arent huge dogs, (quite tiny in fact) and tend to be quite chilled out in the house. they dont necessarily need a garden to be happy.

they are easy to toilet train, as long as you put the work in, the same with any dogs.

they do not drool, and they are extremely minimal moulting. daphni very rarely moults and she is the powderpuff version, obviously there isnt a problem with the hairless :lol:
    they dont need a lot of grooming, just a quick brush through, and a case of checking for knots after walks through muddy and woody areas :lol:
  10. Wild Rose

Wild Rose New Member

Name:
    Maura
    CJC have health issues. Bostons are common here, didn't realize they weren't there. Nice dogs. Spinone's are a walking dog and do not need the kind of exercise that you expect from a hound. Very few large dogs are suitable to an apartment, but these are very laid back and are fine if you will walk the dog every day. You can brush the face and the grooming is an easy swipe with a slicker brush.
  11. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    See I disagree with this. I don't think there's any breed of dog I can say I wouldn't have in an apartment to be honest. As long as the dogs needs are met they don't care whether they're in a 12 bedroom mansion or a little 1 bedroom flat.
  12. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    I have a CKC who at 14 years old has just gone slightly blind, as is common with a lot of older dogs. They aren't all riddled with terminal illnesses!
  13. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Our Spinone, wouldnt have ever been happy in a flat, and drooling...comes in the bucket load! :lol:
  14. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Our CCs need about 2 hours a day walking - and even then they still come home bouncing around the house, they need more grooming than once a week - I personally wouldnt keep mine in a flat, nor would I rehome a rescue or a pup of ours to someone living in a flat - many breeders and rescues also feel the same, living conditions need to fit a breeds needed. Even when chilled in the house they like to explore out in the garden, bath in the sun and such.
  15. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    not all CCs need two hours though... daphni certainly doesnt need two hours a day, shes quite happy with a stroll at her own pace for half an hour, sniffing about, she doesnt chase, she doesnt play fetch, and in the house she either curls up on the dog bed, the sofa, or my bed, and lounges the rest of the day.. now asbo needs his exericse and i wont lie about it, hes a nightmare if he doesnt get out, but not all cresteds are the same, not all need 2 hours a day, daphni proves that ;-) all of them are different.

as for living in a flat, there is nothing wrong with it.. im moving out soon, and one of the possibilities is a flat, are you saying CCs arent suitable to a flat so i should give both mine up because they wouldnt cope with it?
  16. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Ours arent all different, ours all enjoy their walks..and all wouldnt go without to often, sames said for previous dogs, rescues and puppies bred here.

CCs arent suitable for living in a flat in my eyes no, no breed rescue will rehome to folk living in a flat, nor would I rehome a dog of mine to a flat. They are a breed that need a garden, and space. may be small but their still a needy breed.

ASK any CC folk their dogs thrive off being out in the fresh air, something that will be limited to dogs living in flats.
  17. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    only limited to people who dont put in the effort. mine dont go without, they get walked every day, but they dont need 2 hours a day every day hammering it all the time. flats have gardens, some do.. one if looked at does, so it doesnt mean just because its a flat doesnt mean they dont have a garden.

you find the majority of people who have flats have dogs that are the most exercised, because they have to go out to take the dog to toilet etc..

i think any dog can cope with it, and enjoy it, providing its managed properly. as for giving my dogs up if i had to live in a flat, i know my dogs would rather be anywhere than me, than stuck in a kennels.
  18. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever New Member

Name:
    Robyn
    I really don't understand why some people are against re-homing dogs to people who live in flats/ don't have their own garden.

I live in a flat and I can have up to 3 dogs in my flat at a time: GSD and 2 westies.
    They all get walked several times a day and normally when they come back the only thing they want to do is sleep... I also take them to agility and one to OB training.

I feel when people have a garden they are more inclined not to walk their dog as they have a garden. But people who live in a flat can't make any excuses, the dog/s need to go out for exercise/ toilet breaks.
  19. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    You have your opinion I will have mine, I believe I have a good understanding of the breed and their needs, as do other experienced breeders and those in rescue, and most feel the breed in question dont do to well in flats.

I never stated about you giving your dogs up either, or them going into kennels.. Kennels is another place this breed should never be.
  20. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    thats my point though, im thinking of moving into a flat (would prefer a house, but a flat may be an option) and my dogs wouldnt do aswell as they do in a house?

i think if the owners are willing to make it work then any dog can be happy.
  21. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    exactly. this is my point... majority of dogs relax when they are in the house.. take mine now, i have one alseep on the sofa, one asleep on the arm of the sofa, one asleep in front of the fire, and 2 puppies asleep in the dog bed.. this is because they adults are flat out after their walk, and the puppies are flat out from running round like loonies in the garden. they would do exactly the same in a flat, the room just may be a bit smaller :lol: