Haven't Dealt With Fur Like This Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by rheel287, Mar 28, 2022.

1. rheel287

rheel287 New Member

Name:
    Slee

Haven't Dealt With Fur Like This

My new guy is shedding, losing only single hairs. They fall like snowflakes. And they look like fallen snow on me and the floors in quick order.

Not that all dog hair comes out mingled with some undercoat, but I'm not seeing any undercoat even when I give him a good rub and brush. And none of my brushes do a good job on him.

He's a red heeler (and I think he might have shar-pei DNA kicking around in there somewhere).

I haven't dealt with this type of fur before. Is this normal?

I never invested in a Furminator b/c I didn't need to, but I'd buy one if they'd take care of the snowfall around here. What do you use, and have you used a Furminator/what style?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    My Tornado-dog loses individual hairs. It's worse than Cat-dog's shepherd coat because those hairs fly around and land everywhere.

I just use a regular comb on him. I try for once every couple days, but he steals the comb when I'm not looking. With the comb, I actually get some undercoat fuzz-type fur latching onto the hairs.

I wouldn't use the furminator. I've heard that a lot of dogs find it painful (the manufacturer even warns about this).
  4. rheel287

rheel287 New Member

Name:
    Slee
    Oooh, good to know. I read reviews but never anything about the manufacturer's warning.

As long as it's normal....But geeeez, those singleton's also fly on the counters, walls, my coffee, everything, anywhere. With the static this time of year, I have to vacuum the outside of the vacuum.

The brush that worked better than others on my Dutch shepherds does squat with the new guy's.

Thanks.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    rheel287 likes this.
  6. rheel287

rheel287 New Member

Name:
    Slee
    Toedtoes likes this.
  7. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    rheel287 likes this.
    <- My Eddie was a double-coated Beagle - may have been something to do with his thyroid medication. I found one of these did the best job on him, and he liked me using it, nowhere near as fierce as it looks.
    Though the original Coat King is quite expensive, there are several cheap copies on Amazon, with a variety of tooth graduations. This plastic copy was about £7.
    IMG_20220213_163611.jpg
  8. rheel287

rheel287 New Member

Name:
    Slee
    Thank you!
  9. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    rheel287 likes this.
    reminds me to vacuum
  10. MirkosMangle

MirkosMangle New Member

Name:
    MirkosMangle
    Try to get in touch with the Pet express customer service and ask for their advice. On their website you can also find information about all kinds of pets medications and pets supplies, including toys, food and different accessories. If the problems doesn't go away i think you should check it out with your vet.