Help identifying mix, please. ID this breed/mix

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by MissE, May 9, 2009.

1. MissE

MissE

Name:
    Pat

Help identifying mix, please.

A friend of mine lives in Texas, in a rural location. Sadly many dogs are dumped at the crossroads of the county road.
    Some make their way to her farm - and in the last week, she has taken in a beautiful boy, for want of a name, we'll call him Red.
    She asked me what mix I thought he was - I really am terrible at guessing mixes, I see terrier in everything :roll: :lol:

So can you help? what do you think? And no, we don't know the answer!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    Hi there I'm probably way off here but the first thing that jumped out at me was Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever just looking at colour of eyes and nose. Little beauty though whatever the mix. Love the expression
  4. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    hes lovely, is he just a puppy?

the white on the chest and the colour made me think, there was a tiny weeny bit of DDB or mastiff type in there, mixed with ............................erm.....poss a bit of lab... a bit of lurcher......or terrier

if hes not a puppy, I guess the above doesnt apply
  5. MissE

MissE

Name:
    Pat
    They think he is quite young, his pearlies are still very pearly :)
    He was also very submissive she said and pee'd when she startled him and fell on his back. Is that puppy behaviour?
    (I've never had a boy)

Would any of those breeds have a longer coat? Because I see a bit creeping in on his ruff and on his rear leg in the pic where he's sitting.
  6. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    I also thought of a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever because of the colouring, crossed with some sort of bull breed...but then of course it could be a red collie cross???
  7. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    NOva Scotia DTRs have long coats and are quite small...well medium which is small for us!!!! :)
  8. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I think it's a bull breed, maybe a bit of lab and NSDTR in there too. Looks to be a baby as well.
    Becky
  9. MissE

MissE

Name:
    Pat
    Thanks, we did wonder if there was a bit of pit bull terrier in there, because of the head and brindle on it, but the longer hair and slender body made us wonder what else. Having looked up some pics of the NSDTR , he really does look like a fair bit of those, too.
    Either way he's a smashing little boy and very smart.
  10. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Kelpie is what jumped out at me!
  11. Brundog

Brundog New Member

Name:
    Dani
    i would say a bit of bully in their quite possibly a pit bull as they are popular in that neck of the woods. whatever he is a bit gorgeous - what a smiley face he has !!!
  12. MaryS

MaryS New Member

Name:
    Mary
    Bully. Then a mix of labxcollie added in.....??
  13. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Red pit bull x Collie cross would be my guess. As someone else said, Pit's are a dime a dozen and out there. He is more likely to be crossed with one of those than a rarer breed like a Duck Toller.
  14. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    I did immediately see pit bull in him but didn't like to say........
  15. MissE

MissE

Name:
    Pat
    oh hon, it shouldn't have worried you. x
    They aren't banned in the US, so my friend wouldn't have minded. Indeed she thought there was some pit, but didn't know what else because his fur and body shape isn't usual for a pit.

She is trying to teach him some dog manners, he got the hang of "sit" within a day.
    Her hubby wants to keep him, but there are insurance issues related to the farm which might make it impossible. At least if he's trained he stands a better chance of being rehomed.
    I know my friend, and she'll do everything in her power to help this boy.
  16. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Awwwwwwww. He does look absolutely lovely! :)
  17. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Pit Bull cross something, just a babe.
  18. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Pit deff and probably collie too or something crossed along those lines but deff pit and how common they are over there it is very highly likely too. He's just gorgeous!
  19. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Only looks about 6 month to me?