HELP: Protective Apartment Breed Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by dleeII, May 3, 2012.

1. dleeII

dleeII New Member

Name:
    Lee

HELP: Protective Apartment Breed

Hi!

I am looking for a dog with two main qualities. 1) Can be used as intimidation/protection during night outings. 2) Can live in a small, yard-less house.

My wife and I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil. During the summer it can be fairly hot and during the winter fairly cold. Nothing too extreme though, so climate should not be an issue. It is also a fairly dangerous city and I would really like a dog that my wife could use as protection. God forbid that the dog would actually have to attack anyone but maybe something more intimidating.

Unfortunately, we live in a very small house. The dog would have to really live with us so that rules out hardcore drooling dogs.

We do live by a very big park, so we could give the dog daily exercise.

The dog would also have to stay home alone for about 5 to 6 hours a day.

Thanks for the help. If you have any questions, please ask.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    A Burglar alarm and a pepper spray for the wife ...
  4. dleeII

dleeII New Member

Name:
    Lee
    the objective of an intimidating dog is for no-good-doers not even to try any no good. using pepper spray would actually be much more dangerous than just handing over the goods.
  5. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Do people in your city carry firearms?
  6. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Hi

Do you have any experience with dogs? are there any breeds that you have looked at already? puppy or adult dog? any size preference? when you say you can give the dog daily exercise, how much? will the 5-6 hours alone be all in one go?

When you say you want a dog for "protection", what exactly do you mean? a dog that looks physically intimidating or a dog that has actually been protection/bite trained?

Even if you get a breed that is known for its natural protective qualities, unfortunately there is no guarantee that the dog will turn out to be just that. I'm sure most of us know German Shepherds, Rotties, etc., that are total wimps.

You also have the issue of whether it is actually a good idea to own a protective/territorial dog in an apartment. Dogs that are protective and territorial tend to use their voice a lot -- you may not be popular with your neighbours if you have a dog that is barking at their every movement, for 5-6 hours a day.

Have you considered the other lifestyle implications that go along with owning a dog? living in an apartment, you'll have to be taking the dog out at least 3-4 times a day to toilet. You'll also have to walk the dog before and after work and you'll probably never get another lie in. As you live in a very small apartment and will be out for a long period during the day, your life will pretty much revolve around keeping the dog stimulated, exercised and trained.

You also have to bear in mind that many breeders and rescues may not home a puppy or dog to someone that lives in small apartment in a city and is gone for a long period during the day.

I'd think long and hard about getting a dog. Your post doesn't suggest to me that you want one for companionship and to be a loving pet, but rather one that might protect you and your apartment. There is nothing wrong with wanting a dog that is protective, but you have to consider all the other aspects of dog ownership that go along with it.
  7. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Getting a dog should be for the right reasons, for protection alone is not good enough imo. Labradork's post is a good one and you should be asking yourself all those questions...
  8. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    If you live in a 'rough' neighbourhood you might find the dog attracts more attention than you want. Besides, it seems you do not have enough room or experience for a breed that has natural guarding instincts - so it could end up a real nightmare - such breeds need experienced handlers.

CCTV, a personal alarm and some self defence lessons for you, your wife (and kids if you have any) sounds like a good idea.

If you *do* want to research dogs, have a look at the working breeds: http://www.dogsey.com/working-group.htm but make sure you learn as much about them and their needs *before* getting one.
  9. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    I would recommend a mini pinscher for a small house or apartment if you can take it out regularly.

But if your main concern is to deter intruders - I recommend a good burglar alarm system, CCTV cameras and all that jazz!

I doubt any dog that wasn't quite large would deter attackers when you are out.

Personally, I cannot see what pleasure anyone gets from owning and/or walking with a very aggressive dog.
  10. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    A very important question to ask yourselves is 'do we really want a dog'?

It sounds a very basic question, but unless the motive behind getting a dog which will be with you for many years and that will live as part of your family is right, then disaster looms.

A dog takes a lot of time, attention, love and even heartache. They can be costly creatures and all their needs must be met. The decision is almost as big as whether or not to start a family because a dog can be just as time consuming as a child.

If you really want an addition to your family, then and only then start to look at the type of dog you want to join you
  11. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick
    Bit of a reality check on some of the recommendations here - the guy lives in sao paulo and its a completely different world so not sure we can give crime protection advice!
  12. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I understand its not just a rough area!! Seriously people, please dont have a dig here!!
  13. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Dogs are not:

Bullet Proof
    Fire Proof
    Stab proof or
    Theft Proof
  14. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    While it was not my first reason for getting a dog, having Beau with me gives me reasurance to walk in places and at times that I wouldn't normally (running in the back of beyond) and I wouldn't even to begin to compare where I live with where the OP lives.

If everything else is in place and the dog will be loved and well looked after, then I see no reason not to get a dog which would have the added benefit of deterring potential attackers and making them look for an easier targets.............but only if the dog is really wanted.
  15. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Not a great fan of wives then Murf?

OP - you get a dog, they get a gun......
    It might make you feel safer... but trust me, it isn`t.
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    He probably thought this is an American forum as Dogsey is a dot com site.
  17. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Well OP has said there is a park for exercising a dog nearby so presumably that is a safe place to do so away from city noise and too much traffic?

Just been reading about dogs in Sao Paulo - Runtheplanet has this to say about what sounds a super place to go for a run with a dog
    And look at this FANTASTIC recent communal dog walk there!

Over 4000 people and 1,284 dogs took part!

http://www.brazildispatch.com/2012/04/blumenau-dog-walk-draws-thousands.html
  18. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    .com is an international TLD - it was the original internet domain and the original purpose was actually for (worldwide) Commercial entities. Nowadays anyone can sign one up :lol:
  19. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick