Help With Cavapoo Behaviour

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by crimsonrosegirl59, Dec 2, 2023.

1. crimsonrosegirl59

crimsonrosegirl59 New Member

Name:
    Lauren

Help With Cavapoo

Hello,
    I have a 6 month old cavapoo puppy I really need help with. She has both fear and aggression issues. I've had her for about 3 months and she's been fearful since day one. The aggression is primarily towards our other cavapoo pup (who's a little older and from a different litter) and my sister. I think the aggression towards our other cavapoo might be a dominance thing. As far as being fearful it changes sometimes on a daily basis. Some days she seems to just be afraid of almost everything for reasons unknown to me. I'm really not sure what to do with this dog. I feel bad saying this but it's to the point where she's made it very hard to like her, but giving up is not an option for me so any advice or pointers would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Helidale likes this.
    You don't indicate where you are located.

The first thing is to get both dogs checked out by a vet. Either one could have a health issue. Or it could be as simple as one or both are in heat if you haven't gotten them fixed.

If their health checks out, then you'll want to find a positive based trainer who can help evaluate their behaviors and create a training plan based on positive reinforcement and redirection.

If you are in the U.S., you can find trainers by zip code at https://www.ccpdt.org/dog-owners/certified-dog-trainer-directory/

The trainers listed on this site follow the LIMA principle (least intrusive, minimally invasive).

Stay away from any trainer who uses prong or electric collars, punishment and/or pain, or who talks about you needing to be alpha, etc.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Toedtoes and CaroleC like this.
    Definitely try to find a good trainer who can help out

At six months, she's in a fear stage of development and could also be near to getting her first heat which will make things worse

Out of interest, what sex is your other dog.

What I will say, is don't despair. I've just got through some of the issues you're having with your dog with my (almost) 9 month old Yorkiepoo and the little monkey is still a work in progress :)