How are your dogs coping with this hot weather General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by pugluva, Jul 19, 2014.

1. pugluva

pugluva Member

Name:
    carol
    6JRT's likes this.

How are your dogs coping with this hot weather

I walk mine early in the morning then they lay around all day Morris lays in the sun gets to hot then comes in lays under the fan cools down goes back out in the sun and he does that all day I can't help laughing at him poppy stays indoors all day she's more sensible Morris does like to paddle if I take him to a stream but only goes in when the weathers really hot otherwise he hates the water.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    6JRT's likes this.
    Chico the puppy does seem to have the sense to rest when it's exceptionally hot. Then we all suffer in the evening because he's got so much energy!

The poodle finds a nice cold tiled floor to lie on, or some shade in the garden. The spaniel though lies out in the full sun and would bake if I didn't drag him inside.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    Dogs here are used to the very long and very hot summers, but at the moment I am not taking Pereg out - she has to walk on hot pavements or the road in full sunshine until we can get to a grassy area with some shade - and the pavements and roads do not cool down that much at night - I know when she goes out for a pee in the middle of the night it is still hot out.

She is also only on Day 7 since her last episode of seizures and the last thing I want is for to have one while we are out - also the current situation is not really conducive to being out in the open unless it is really necessary.

She gets more than enough exercise during her "mad half-hours" rushing outside, inside, through the bungalow and then back again, then promptly flonks down in the cool. I have air-con in my salon which is on all day, and also in my bedroom which is on all night - and she sprawls across the end of the bed in its direct flow! :D
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    My hooligans are in paddling pool K9 & Skye are laying on their cool mats.
    My dogs are walked first thing in morning & around 10-11ish at night during the hot weather
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Kyra is a sun worshiper, but Heiko doesn't like it, there is plenty of shade in garden and house, so theres not a problem.
  7. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I doubt whether Georgina will get a walk today because although its cooler than it has been all week its still 35C here and if its like previous evenings the temperature will only go down to around 29C. Yesterday evening my neighbour took her for a walk which lasted precisely five minutes before she'd decided she'd had enough and wanted to go home!
  8. Arranlady

Arranlady New Member

Name:
    Aileen
    My boy lies in the shaded rooms and his daddy squirts water on him when he is out a walk or he finds a pool to paddle in, doesn't do swimming
  9. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Phoebe is not a fan. gets her self in a right pickle wandering around panting trying to decide where is best to lay. I keep changing her water for fresh cold water and giving her ice cubes to munch on and i think that helps as she will settle for a while then. having no garden is causing a problem as she needs a wee trip or 3 in the day between her walks and will only go on the grass which we have to walk to so were only out about 8-10 mins each time but would prefer it to be more like 2 mins
  10. Sue Staffy

Sue Staffy New Member

Name:
    Sue
    6JRT's likes this.
    Been walking mine really early which seems to be working out ok. It's Diva that worries me because she is on the larger size she seems to be panting a hell of a lot. She doesn't go in the garden very much she won't lay in the sun but inside she constantly pants and it is worrying me now. I bought a fan which helps but I'm still worried about her. I cool her down with damp towels which helps also it's just the other two are fine I think that's why I've noticed it with her the constant panting.
  11. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Common sense in this weather..I wouldn't like to run round in a fur coat in the sun! Another member said about the Tarmac burning dogs feet..so true.
  12. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Meg and fieldy like this.
    Sue how about a pool for Diva to lie in, I got a solid one for my dogs & just bought a folding one from Amazon x

Dottie is solid pool
    Dottie pool.JPG

One I just bought of Amazon
    T2YQTVXfdaXXXXXXXX_!!1645623135.jpg

Perhaps a paw shape pool
    paw-shaped-dog-swimming-pool.jpg

or perhaps a bone shape one
    Dog-Bone-Shaped-Pool-For-Pets-2.jpg
  13. Sue Staffy

Sue Staffy New Member

Name:
    Sue
    I've got a pool and she won't go near it none of them do.
  14. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Well you have to get your bikini on sit in pool & call her over to you or fill pool with balls, that might entice Diva to go near pool x
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am not sure what Pereg would make of a paddling pool - in any case the only place it could go is on the patio outside the front door which is in full sunlight most of the day as it faces due south and the sun is almost overhead due to the latitude.

Also I do not have an outside tap so would have no way of filling one.
  16. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    6JRT's likes this.
    OH came home with a big fan for bedroom, he plugged it in to check it worked and Phoebe jumped infront of it and has claimed it for her own now, its now pointing at her bed and shes quite happy about it
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    My two are not coping very well. Eddie has really let me down at his last two obedience shows. I should be at one today (at Chellaston, Tina), but, the words 'flogging a dead horse' spring to mind. Anyway, it isn't fair to cart old lady Tweed around in this heat.
    I got the pool - (that sounds good - it's a baby bath) out, Eddie jumped in twice - but then the novelty wore off. He is prepared to stand there if his valet is available to sponge him down. I would take them down the road to swim in the lake but it's swarming with kids now the holidays have started.
    Have you guessed - I hate this weather!
  18. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Think the Chellaston show was cancelled Carole, due to the weather, not 100% sure but do know the one at Darley Park was cancelled.
  19. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    CaroleC and 6JRT's like this.
    Chloe doesn't seem bothered by the heat, she is too busy sneaking out into the garden to steal strawberries and runner beans then retreating to a shady patch behind the herbs to eat them ... Picture 091.jpg