How can you prove dogs a true pedigree? To outside organisations without kc papers? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by SmokeyRabbit, Aug 12, 2011.

1. SmokeyRabbit

SmokeyRabbit New Member

Name:
    Teresa

How can you prove dogs a true pedigree? To outside organisations without kc papers?

A friend has a true american cocker spaniel from a breeder cost hundreds of pounds and would like if possible to enter him in gundog agility league but is relucant to as states pedigree only,he comes from a true breeder who I believe has papers but is refusing to release to her to prevent him being shown properly as has a colour coat fault,she doesnt nor has never wished to show at a higher level than companion and he is nuetered,she had to register on activity register to compete in agility as doesnt have kc paperwork in her possession.other than hoping she finds breeder details at home and getting them to prove he was the result of the mating of two kc registered american cockers,how else can she prove his a full pedigree gundog without the relevant paperwork? Is it possible as she has expressed interest to me about competing in gundog league but is relucant to register due to lack of proof,he competes at agility as an american cocker,surely a breed expert can verify true pedigree.has anyone come up against this situation before I will pass info on.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    you can varify the breed but not its breeding,if you do need paperwork to compete ( do you?) i'd suggest you contact the breeder again, as the dog has been neutered, and see if you can obtain them.

For companion shows no paperwork is needed
  4. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Do you need papers to put a dog on the Agility register?
  5. SmokeyRabbit

SmokeyRabbit New Member

Name:
    Teresa
    We are not sure thats why she wants too but is reluctant to register for gundog agility league,but yes you need paperwork to compete in a kc agility competition,for pedigree dogs you just enter there pedigree name on entry form for agility competition as papers give owner permission to compete,for all other dogs you need to be on kc activities register ie: you have a crossbreed or you have no papers from breeder so cant prove true pedigree and either you/they choose a name to be registered to your dog,but as I believe gundog league is run by the british agility association I dont know where she stands,there at jumping jacks tomorrow hopefully she will ask someone.
  6. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    My rescue Beardie has no papers so is on the activities register I put him down as a Beardie. I no longer compete in agility but work him in Obedience and HTM as a Beardie and have had no problems he has competed in Bearded Collie Club limited obedience and won Best Beardie rosettes in HTM.
  7. SmokeyRabbit

SmokeyRabbit New Member

Name:
    Teresa
    Thanks out of interest how do you varify the breed?
  8. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    I just registered him as a Beardie because he was. I assume if anyone had thought he wasn't I'd soon have heard. I had another working lines Beardie who I had registered as a Beardie cross because I believed he was one from his looks
  9. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    You don't have to you can register any breed on the Activities Register, except the Border Collie, no one checks that the dog is the breed it is registered as, this is because if the dog is bred from the KC can decide not to register the puppies.

Your friend would need to check with the people running the Gundog Agility League to see if the dogs have to be KC breed registered or if the Activities Register registration is sufficient.
  10. Munsti-Sue

Munsti-Sue New Member

Name:
    Sue
    You dont have to verify your breeds pedigree for the gundog agility league. When I joined back in 2008 'small munsterlander' was added to the list and no documentation was requested. :)
  11. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    There is absolutely no need to "verify" the breed of any dog for any KC licensed activity bar Gundog Working Tests, Field Trials or Breed Showing; all other activities can be participated in by any or no breed and indeed several mutts have become champions in various disciplines.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, it probably is a duck so there is no need to do anything more for the gundog league than for Agility.

If there is no pedigree name you make your own up eg Mr Cocker Spaniel from Toytown (when you register dogs with KC) and then FDU (further details unknown) in the sire and dam box.