How to import dogs to the UK? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Azz, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz

How to import dogs to the UK?

@Dogloverlou's thread gave me the inspiration for this one.

What are the best practises when importing dogs into the UK? I have often considered importing a Presa from Spain - but not looked into it fully.

We have the pet passport now, so that must make it easier surely?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. duRM

duRM New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Azz likes this.
    Its very easy now.
    The pup needs to have a passport.
    At three months of age he needs to be vacinnated for rabies.
    21 days later the pup can come into the UK.
    only other constraint is the pup needs to be wormed by the vet between 5 days and 24 hrs before departure and the worming input in his passport.
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Gosh that does sound easy - a lot better than what you used to have to go through.

Have you exported any pups here Kate? Do you find people drive up on the ferry, or use a pet transport company to do the pick up and delivery?
  5. duRM

duRM New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Jupiler was the first pup I exported to the UK was born in September 2010.
    He left in July 2011.
    At that time the pup had to be vaccinated for Rabies at 3 months then 1 month later he had to have a blood test and if the anti-corps were sufficient 6 months from the date of the results of the blood test he could leave the country.

He stayed with me for the whole period, attending dog club, dog shows and holdidays in the south of france. His owners came over to spend the weekend about once a month with us. They came and collected him.

The last two that went MIss Scarlet and Marmaduke were born on the 27/03/13 and their owners came and collected them just after the 3 week wait after the rabies vaccination.

Jupiler, and Miss Scarlet will also be shown in Crufts and Marmaduke will be in Discover dogs on Friday
  6. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    That process sounds how I remember it, and the time frame always put me off. But now... 3 to 4 months isn't that bad (Rocky was 4 months when I got him) so would definitely consider it.

Good luck at Crufts - you will of course have to post photos for us :D