Human Gender and Preference Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by lovemybull, Jan 24, 2015.

1. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Azz likes this.

Human Gender and Preference

I'm just curious if anyone knows a scientific basis behind this behavior with canines. Callie was neutered as a young adult, not puppy but definitely a year or more old. Since we've adopted him he regards my husband and me as alpha or whatever bond means he can fully relax with. Full belly exposed, complete relaxation.

Then my adult son and younger daughter, perhaps considered pack siblings? Very close except for a situation like moving from a sleeping area then he might challenge them with a growl or air snap. Then there are strangers completely away from family. Males in our house need to be checked and rechecked every time they come in. Males humans on the street better not come near. But my son says when he and Callie walk together there is no reaction when a male human passes by.

When I walk Callie, especially after dark. Any human male within a block is met with a throat growl if not full confrontation. "You better not come near my Mommy, you go through ME".

But like at the groomer yesterday...give Callie any number of female strangers surrounding him and you've never seen such a blissful guy..." Ladies, Ladies, there's more than enough of me to go around, ahhhhhhh". Does anyone know what might be going through his little brain cells in these different situations? For the most part it's his choice how to react.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Most likely Callie is reading you. You don't think about other women or small children when out walking. Men out walking you most likely at least give a noticed to, to judge what type of person they are raising your guard some and Callie is feeding off the vibe your giving off.
    On the other hand you son is most likely care free when there out walking, so Callie does not get the guarded vibe, so does not react.
  4. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    See I don't know if that's on target. It's weird but actually I'm more comfortable around men than women for the most part. What it seems with Callie is he's guarding me as his female. Interesting question then would be...if I walked him with my husband perhaps he would ignore other men seeing as Daddy Alpha is on top of it. Or would he feel he had to protect BOTH of us? Hubby can't walk well enough anymore to test that question. I wish I could ask Callie what he's thinking.
  5. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    I find most women actually are more comfortable around men than women, that they know. Sorry to say I'm a rather big person (no not fat, in size) and while men will fight it out and drink a beer together laughing about it later, women will hold a grudge till the grave. It is more about stranger danger.
    Though I could be totally off the mark.
    Mouse if we are walking loves everyone, if the wife is walking him, I have no doubt he would hurt someone that gets within arms reach of her. (this is only men. He still loves children and women)
    Also I think you will find it will make no difference if your hubby walks with.

Me and wife at least once a week walk together and Mouse acts exactly the same when she is by herself. Again I could be wrong as Mouse is a guardian breed and is very true to the breeds temperament. But I suspect Callie is similar and is highly bonded with the family and while in the safety of home and just family drops that guard and when out takes that roll and safeguards, reading the reactions of the handler.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I don’t know how my dogs see me, but I know they don’t see me as the same as other dogs, I have never considered myself as ‘pack leader or ‘alpha’ and don’t believe that any of my dogs considered me as such, as we are a completely different species, plus a dog’s behaviour toward a human differs from dog-dog, sometimes they just have more of an affinity for one sex or the other.

Heiko prefers men in general and is defiantly besotted with my OH, but id be very concerned if he growled or snapped at family or friends or anyone for that matter and would defiantly be looking for a solution before it progresses further, perhaps try taking a step back and let your hubby and son/daughter do more for him, like taking turns in either walking, feeding or grooming ect: see if that helps but it must be consistent and wont happen overnight.
  7. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    The only time Callie showed any aggression at all towards my son it was more in self defense than anything else. Son was frustrated with Callie bumping the video game system and swatted at him. Callie didn't bite but gave a growly warning.
    With my husband he's a huge baby. Definitely Daddy's best boy, if hubby is home I know exactly where Callie is:)
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I would call that showing signs of aggression.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Having never had a male dog - and not having a male in my life, I have only had female dogs as a part of my life.

Pereg knows, and accepts, various men who come to do things for me - Effie who builds/fixes my computers. Nir who does all sorts of things inside and outside. The delumptious one who fixes my wheels. Oren the hashmali [electrician] - Pereg kbiws not b
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Computer done a whoopsie so please ignore last blah wotsit.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Try again and hope computer behaves now. What I was trying to say was that Pereg is fine with the men who help me - and that includes the two taxi drivers I use - but she also adores my neighbour who is definitely female - so I really do not know whether she accepts people as just people or whether she is aware that some are male and some female.

She was spayed at ~9 months old, having had her first, and only season at ~ 6 months, so I wonder whether a spayed bitch [or a castrated male dog] actually is aware of the sex of humans?
  12. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    There's another question I suppose. Callie was neutered as an adult, maybe one or two years old at the time. Would that have any impact on his behavior now?
  13. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Don't have any problems with my 6 they love people both men & women when out & about, however they will growl if anyone walks into my house unannounced but not if they knock on the door first.
  14. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Georgina is easy going with both men and women but she does have an ongoing love affair with Gabor, her trainer. The moment we turn off the main road to go to the tennis club, she'll start wriggling and squeaking in anticipation of seeing him. Gwylim ... well ... he just loves everyone!
  15. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    I can say with confidence that he is the total ladie's man. If a group of female strangers want to hug and kiss and croon in his ear he is totally blissful.
  16. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John
    My previous Beagle, Joe, displayed more affection toward my wife. One day she came home from a stay in the hospital and Joe was all over her like the videos you see when a serviceman comes home and is seen by his dog. Overall, he seemed to show a definite preference for women.
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Most dogs show a preference for the person who puts the food dish down IMO!
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    :D
  19. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I have always fed the dogs, but Heiko is still very much a man's dog who idolises OH and sticks to him like ‘clingfilm’ even though hes the one who trims his nails
  20. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    With Georgina and Gwylim there's only me to feed them, but when I was in the UK with Chloe and M'boi, neither of them could care less which member of the family served them dinner..
  21. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    There's definitely a difference to the dogs which human is which. Callie travels between me and hubby. If my husband is at work sometimes he'll sit downstairs at the time Daddy comes home. Wherever I am Sophie is there...unless I have the vacuum monster.

Me coming in the door means great leaping for joy but no barking. Anyone else except hubby get barked at until they're in the door. If the postal person or UPS come to the door we have the hounds from Hell.