Illegal dog breeds? Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by tawneywolf, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    I know...they cover themselves by saying ( I think Werewolf posted it) that if the dog doesn't look that much like a owlf anymore than it may not need a licence. Crazy...it even says it's mad in the document I linked to though.:002: :mrgreen:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
  4. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Are you sure about that Ailsa?

FACT is there are pedigree registered CWD and Saarloos in THIS country, imported like any other without issue. They didnt come in as anything other than what they are DOGS!!!!!
  5. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    No Dawn I'm not sure and I don't want to go there at all not even a little bit.
    I am sure there are CWD and Sarloos...doesn't meant he law has altered Dawn, just means some people don't know it.

I have nothing against these dogs Dawn but as I have said several times before I do not think they should be widely available here as they WILL attract the wrong people and from what's been said on this thread they will end up being poorly bred. There is enough trouble with dog breeding in this country at the moment and the dogs MUST be the priority.
  6. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    I will gladly concede if I am wrong, and I hope that I am for those unlicenced CWD and Sarloos in this country as it just takes one incident with a 'wolf type' dog for it all to go belly up in the current anti dog climate. My concern is and has always been the welfare of the dogs.
    I've emailed the man who wrote the letter, I will happily tell you what he says, although without consent from him, I would not post the entire letter/email. I imagine it will take him a while to reply since his email address is all over dog forums now, I guess he will be inundated.
    I hope I am wrong about the whole thing, for those dogs already here, and will happily come on here and tell you.
  7. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    I have just spoken to DEFRA.
    The good news for people on here is that they said that as far as they were concerned anything F3 and beyond is okay...BUT..
    the bad news is they were VERY keen to give the disclainer that people should always check with their local authorities about 'wolf like' dogs...basicaly passing the buck. The man was also VERY clear about the law not changing at all. The law, as far as he is concerned has not changed at all about Sarloos and CWD...

To say that the conversation stil left question marks would be an understatement. Yes...he did say that F3 and beyond do not need a licence, but that was very quickly followed by his disclaimer which said people should always check with their Local Authority. He also said that law has always been the same and there is no change....

I still think there is ambiguity....he sounded well hacked off and to eb honest at the start of the call he thought I was someone on the main switchboard and when I said what I was calling about he groaned a lot and said 'oh well I suppose you'd better put them through'.....they have had a lot of calls and emails and to be honest I think they are fed up. I will shut up when I see the F3 thing written down on the original act. Promise. ;)

I felt no better after the conversation and again I stress, people with these dogs need to be very careful. It just takes one incident for everything to go pearshaped.

I discovered another site and forum today....seems like there are factions everywhere huh? I am pretty surprised by all that I am reading and to be honest am bowing out of all of this now as I'm really not liking what I've been reading.

I will let you know what the email says when and if it arrives.
  8. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Strange there are no responses...
  9. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    I'm not allowed! LOL..I officially gave up
  10. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    :-o :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That was on the other thread though!!! :lol: :lol: 8)
  11. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
    You will find that there are quite polarised positions in this whole debate, on the one side people who have/breed/want wolf lookalike dogs (who to me appear very sensible) who have read the Act, understand it &/or taken advice from their Local councils already, and on the other side (for what reasons I do not know) people who are bitter & twisted about folk having wolf lookalikes (which may or may not include NI (!) & trying to frighten others out of getting them but hoping to get others who want wolf lookalikes to enter into the "pure" NI field!

There are also many caught up in the middle who appear to be following established Societies blindly and who are scared to look at he facts which stare them in the face.

Hope that's all clear enough for you because it continues to do my head in!:?
  12. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    Can we have a written statement to that effect Louise ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  13. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    You're too slow...that was the other thread:lol:
  14. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    It's the age mate, either that or my brain is pickled :lol: :lol: :lol:
  15. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Picked in red or white tonight??:mrgreen:
  16. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    Well it's passing itself off as white, but it certainly doesn't taste like it

I bet the kids have swapped it with something :lol: :lol: :lol:
  17. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    At the end of the day, I don't give a monkeys about the people,it's the dogs and their welfare that I care about, unlike DEFRA I have to say (I won't add that part of my converstaion with the man in, but I wasn't impressed.) :neutral:

To be honest, what I saw on the site yesterday surprised me, it was like an internet lynch mob gone mad. I don't want to have anything to do with it.

I don't fit into any of your groups by the way.
  18. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Awww c'mon Ramble your just pissed off coz DEFRA dident tell you what you wanted to hear.
  19. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Me too...I certainly don't hate the breed....I look after a Ute who I adore....But I don't want one either. I do feel that the only thing really suffering at the moment is the dogs :(
  20. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    You think? :roll: :roll: DEFRA actually pretty much said what I expected them to say. Go ask your local council if you have any doubts or worrys...and that the law hasn't changed.:roll:
    Why would I be peed off anyway? I don't want one of the dogs or any wolf type breed. They are lovely dogs I'm sure, but I don't want one and whether or not other people can have them doesn't effect me in the slightest. My concern is that people are fully informed for the sake of the dogs End of. :002:
    Couldn't agree more. As I say the site I found opened my eyes and I don't want to have anymore involvement with all this. Really quite sad.
  21. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Ailsa.
    Can I ask, do you have a problem with the Czech Wolf Dog and the Saarloos? If I am honest, I would have to say Im not keen on the CWD, but the Saarloos I am, I actually think they would "fit" my lifestyle, its a dog
    I will consider.