Is this a rottweiler mix? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Eivind G Johansen, Mar 27, 2022.

1. Eivind G Johansen

Eivind G Johansen New Member

Name:
    Eivind1991

Is this a rottweiler mix?

Is this a male rottweiler mix?

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Difficult to tell from those pictures. What were you told he is?
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    Some things about mixed breeds:

1. Outside of "designer dogs", most mixes have at least three breeds in them. Often more.

2. Not every breed in the mix will present itself physically. So while the dog may not look at all like a poodle, he may have poodle in his makeup. Same for temperament and behavior. The smaller the amount of a breed, the less likely you'll "see" it in the dog.

3. When breeds mix, they do weird things. The physical traits from each breed may combine to create something different. A large dog may have small dog dna - he just got his size from a large breed in the mix, or visa versa. A dog may get her body shape from a lab and her legs from a bassett. Or a dog may get her ears from a beagle and her muzzle shape from a pug and her tail from an akita.

With all that, the most accurate way of determining the breeds is to do a dna test. Embark and Wisdom Panel are good. For dogs here in North America, a less expensive test is dnamydog. It doesn't test for breeds that are rare in North America and they don't do health testing, so the cost is lower. They only test for common AKC registered breeds, so they don't test for APBT or Pharoah Hound, etc. They also don't test for "pit bull" as it is not really a breed in itself. They do test for staffordshire, etc. that have been used to create "pit bulls". I've used them on my past three dogs and have been very satisfied with the results.

Your photos are all blurry, so it is impossible to make any kind of guess from them.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Not a Rottweiler coat - it looks more like a Collie texture. There could be some Rottie in the mix but you would have to dna test to be sure.
  6. Eivind G Johansen

Name:
    Eivind1991
    I was told that he was an rottweiler mix but the fur and the face makes me think that he is not a fullbred rottie
  7. Eivind G Johansen

Name:
    Eivind1991
    I made the photos a little bit lighter

Attached Files:

8. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC and Toedtoes like this.
    I’m confused by your comment, if you were told he’s a Rottweiler mix, then why say that his face makes you think he’s not a fullbred rottie? If he’s a mix, of course he’s not a purebred.

People here can only guess. As was suggested earlier, a dna test will tell you far more about him than anyone’s guess from a picture, especially a blurry picture.

Do you love him? Does he love you?
  9. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    From what I see - his coat is too thick/fluffy to fit the Rottweiler breed standard. He's probably the Rottweiler mix that you were told he was.
  10. Eivind G Johansen

Name:
    Eivind1991
    Thank you yes i agree do you have any idea of what mix it is?
  11. rheel287

rheel287 New Member

Name:
    Slee
    As others have stated, there's no way to tell just by looking at him. His hair type, for example, isn't specific to a single breed.

Regardless, you've a beautiful beast there.