Is this dog a Kangal or Anatolian?? Questions

Discussion in 'Anatolian Shepherd Dog' started by Murf, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf

Is this dog a Kangal or Anatolian??

I know nothing of the Turkish breeds but have seen this lady in rescue ..
    Any one who knows the breeds recognise her as a Kangal or a Anatolian ??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    Looks like an anatolian. But would help to know how big she was. Kangal dogs are MASSIVE, way bigger than anatolians.
  4. kita

kita New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Is she in the UK?

She certainly looks very like an Anatolian - in the UK they are one and the same breed, Anatolian Shepard Dog. They are also called Kangal and Karabash.

If she is in the UK could you let me know which rescue she is with (if you don't wish to put it on the open forum send me it via pm)?

They have a very good breed rescue and it is also possible her breeder is unaware that she is in a rescue (they may be able to help and either take her back or know of a good home waiting).

Sue
  5. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    She was at Many tears ..
    If memory serves she was abroad but on her way to the UK when i posted her pic....
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    And Many Tears do not let Breed Rescues rehome them themselves.......
  7. Bibby

Bibby New Member

Name:
    Lynne
    I live in rural Turkey and your dog is very similar to our dog and dogs in the area. People tend to call them Kangals, but when I look them up in Google, I would say more like Anatolian. Muffin has dew claws on her back legs.
  8. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Hi Lynne, welcome :)

Would love to see some photos of your dogs and any from the local area too if you get a moment - perhaps we can add some to the breed profiles too :D
  9. Bibby

Bibby New Member

Name:
    Lynne
    Azz likes this.
    I have just posted 3 on another thread. Muffin is a mix, but definitely there's Kangal in there. I will try to remember to whip out the camera when we see the Kangals. There are three about a mile from us, with a herd to look after. I have seen a couple of HUGE ones. I mean one looked like it could have been ridden and the other looked like a sheep. Of course I know they tend to be a coffee/creamy colour but our muffin ls more of a caramel colour. Her dark nose markings are disappearing as she gets older. I endlessly speculate on whether she is part Alsatian or something like a Hound. Ooh hang on I can post pics of a friend's Kangal.

Attached Files:

10. Bibby

Bibby New Member

Name:
    Lynne
    Azz likes this.
    And these two photos....

Attached Files:

11. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Truly magnificent dogs - thanks for posting Bibby!

(Btw, your avatar is a blurry so you might want to upload a new one :D)