KC "High Profile Breeds" Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Azz, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz

KC "High Profile Breeds"

I didn't know the KC had such a list. It's good to see they have identified breeds that might need help.

Surprised to see some of the names on it mind...

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    They've been on the high profile list for a couple years now. Last year vet checks were in place to determine whether the winning dogs were healthy enough to take part. Some didn't pass, and therefore that particular breed was missing from the main group.

I wondered this year whether those vet checks were still in place as I've heard nothing about it and all the breeds were represented this year? I had so much respect for the KC for issuing these health checks, but if they were non existent this year I'm not sure what positives came from the health checks after all.
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I would have thought they were still in place Lou. It was the Bulldog that didn't get through last year - nice to see the breed passed this year :)
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Azz likes this.
    Yes they were in place, ALL BREEDS PASSED.......
  6. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    what a shame there are so many. Hopefully the list will dwindle down over the next few years as healthy litters are born. If all the dogs passed at crufts then that must be a positive sign
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    They are not on the List because they are unhealthy, the breeds that are on our vulnerable list are on it because no one wants them...hence only few litters are born.

If more people looked at our own native breeds to buy , then breeders would breed more, its all about supply and demand, if the demand is not there then the supply dries up.
  8. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I think I'm correct in saying that the "vulnerable" list and the "high profile" list are not one and the same thing.

The "high profile" list is for breeds displaying exagerated features and other visible conditions which are deemed detrimental to their health. A good example is the Shar-Pei which over the years has been bred with more and more wrinkles which have led to dogs suffering from skin conditions like dermatitis and eye problems such as entropion. Shar-Pei however, aren't on the "vulnerable" list.

The "vulnerable" list is for breeds that are becoming increasingly rare due to lack of popularity. Breeds such as the Mudi and Tibetan Mastiff fall under this category and neither of them appear on the "high profile" list..
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

That's right they are different things... The native vulnerable list is for vulnerable breeds in the UK, I am sure as you say breeds outside the UK will also have their own vulnerable list, The high profile list is for those breeds that have been highlighted for health issues ( mostly skin and eyes) and as this year has shown, is being addressed.

I think it's anything under 300 registered pups qualifies them as vulnerable