laid back small breed? General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by katilea, May 18, 2016.

1. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    katilea likes this.
    This breed will also need clipping or stripping every 6 / 8 weeks, so the same problem as above. Listening to what you don't want I think you are looking for a short haired dog that does not need to go to groomers.... In that case I think a pug or Chihuahua would suit you well, but they are expensive ( specially the pug) but if you want a well bred healthy one you have to pay the price......also another breed to consider is a whippet ,, very laid back dogs that are happy to sleep the day away with the exersice you can give it.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    A whippet is too big both height and weight wise than what I'd want. I've been researching the boston terrier too.
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    KC will have list of breeders who are breeding the longer nose Pugs
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Have to say that I wouldn't know where to find this list.
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    katilea and mjfromga like this.
    There's always the Puggle
    Puggles are produced by breeding a female Beagle to a male Pug [not keen on designer dogs but The Puggle as been around in the United States since 1980s.]
    Puggles can weigh between 10 and 30 pounds and stand from 10 to 15 inches tall at the withers.

Black Puggle
    blaze-the-puggle-6_63807_2012-01-08_w450.jpg

Fawn Puggles
    download.jpg

puggle_4.jpg
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    As you might expect. No comment ;-)
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    katilea likes this.
    In the same situation as the OP, I would be tempted by a Papillon. These are a very bright, long lived, breed, which do well in Obedience based dog sports. Light to pick up, and neat and well balanced to carry. Not too much coat care.
    Another thought is the German Spitz, Klein. Also very trainable. A double texture coat, but easily groomed by the owner. Full of fun, can be a little vocal.
  9. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    What about a Lowchen?

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/breed/display.aspx?id=6158
  10. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I forgot about hybrids. In any case, the Puggle is a decent pick. And they are to the US what Utonagans are to the UK. Some mixed breed dogs brought about in the 1980s that aren't really recognized with most national KC and aren't real "breeds".
  11. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    6JRT's likes this.
    OMG! I LOVE the little black puggle, looks so much like my old girl who was a crossbreed, though I'm thinking she had whippet in her and was possibly crossed with a lab or collie so she was big and I need to downsize!

I have thought many time of getting a cross that produced a mini version of her but still wanted to look into the temperaments of the small breeds to see which would produce the most laid back crossbreed. eg both pugs and beagles seem quite laid back dogs where crossing a terrier with another terrier to get a small black dog with white on chest, may produce a very hyper temperament that was constantly yapping and be nothing like my old girl's personality.

A friend has a chi x lab that is a lovely size and a sweet little dog, She seems to have the labs more laid back personality and qualified as an hearing dog for the deaf. She is 16 yr old now and has lived longer than my old girl (who passed away in March age 15) without the same mobility probs.
  12. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Not sure what you mean about Puggles being like Utonagans?? The Utonagan is a large breed, bred to look like a wolf without having a wolf hybrid in it, developed from crossing malamute's and husky's with GSD's. They are stunning dogs but look nothing like puggles and are extremely hard to find over here.

Though I'm sure a puppy would be adorable it would grow to much bigger than I was able to cope with when we both got older!
  13. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    6JRT's likes this.
    This was my Inca I think she was a lurcher.

[​IMG]

I've just been googling Italian Greyhounds and crosses of to see if it would produce a mini version of her. I've seen Chi crosses that looked similar with mostly black and white blaze on chest, short fur.
  14. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    6JRT's and CaroleC like this.
    In that case if you are open to a crossbreed why not go to your local rescue centre and see what they have.
  15. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Someone said they don't recommended hybrids and I saw a "no comment" about the issue. Wasn't comparing the dogs themselves.
  16. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    its worth noting that crossing two breeds does not make a hybrid, you have to cross two separate species to accomplish this.........
  17. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Its also worth noting that this is the Merriam - Webster definition of hybrid... And thus what you said isn't entirely accurate..

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hybrid
  18. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    mjfromga likes this.
    I have nothing against crossbreeds and Heinz57 mutts, we always had crossbreeds when I was growing up as my parents could never afford pedigree's, but they were all rescued and was years before 'designer crossbreeds' were invented!

My collie is the first pedigree I've ever owned as I always wanted a Border Collie.

I don't mind my next one being a rescue but the small/toy dogs group consists of breeds I've never owned, so I'm looking more for info on their personalities then I can determine which crosses may potentially be more 'laid back' than others.
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and Pork1epe1 like this.
    My, 'no comment', was because I naturally would prefer my lovely adopted breed to be left in its pure state.

Jackie's definition of hybrid is correct.
    Arab horse to Thoroughbred horse = horse.
    Arab horse to Donkey = Mule, F1 hybrid.
  20. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    As is.....

Pug to beagle = crossbreed

Lion to tiger = hybrid.

It's also important to know they are usually sterile to.
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That is why I hate all the "designer" crosses that there are now with Griffons. My Griffs were pure bred and when I was breeding I made sure that the studs I used for my girls were not only KC registered but came with traceable five generation pedigrees.

Both my Little One and Pereg were mutts of known origin. No guarantee as to whether they would be healthy or not but both were. Pereg developed epilepsy but she was basically extremely healthy.

I now have a cross-breed - Dachshund/Minpin - but it was an accidental mating, not a deliberate one to produce a designer dog. Yes she is cute and only weighs 5.5kg [just over 12lb] and I would not be without her, but no way would I recommend such a cross.