laid back small breed? General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by katilea, May 18, 2016.

1. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    IF you can't travel, surely that drastically cuts down your options to breeders in the immediate vicinity.... meaning both breeds and quality of the breeders.

I seem to remember you've done a few similar threads elsewhere in the past, and once again seem to be basing things a lot on looks.

A note on puggles.... beagles are certainly not a laid back breed and crossing them with a pug is not going to change that across the board. Crossing two different dogs does not a breed make. Someone compared them to utonagans? As far as I am aware, they breed true nowadays, ie. ute + ute = ute. Husky/mal + gsd = cross NOT ute....
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate

I did look into local breeders before when I was looking at cavaliers and there were quite a few in my area and one with distance via mobility scooter there's also a chihuahua breeder 5 mins away. There was someone selling staffies too in a neighbouring village that I could also reach with a mobility scooter and there's a gundog breeder locally. (however I wasn't interested in springer spaniels at the time)

Dogs Trust came out last time and were willing to help but as I was looking for a dog to take over as my next assistance dog at the time they didn't feel they had any suitable dogs in, especially as I was thinking of smaller dogs at that time and that could live with an existing dog and work to that level. They felt I'd be better starting with a puppy. I decided if I was going to get another puppy and would probably be the last time I'd raise a puppy from so young, I'd go with a breed I'd always wanted to own in my lifetime (Border Collie) and found JJ online.

The Romanian Rescues etc often have you just going somewhere to pick up a dog (I've seen them mention motorway services on FB) so could send a friend/family member and pay their petrol to go collect it for me or look for one with fosterers in my area who maybe willing to deliver if I paid extra for petrol.

I have found breeders who are willing to send their dogs thousands of miles abroad maybe more willing to deliver to me, (sometimes they offer a delivery/courier service).

Tbh I'm a bit torn at the moment I see many deserving dogs looking for a home but I had paid for a session with an animal communicator a week after Inca passed as I was so desperate to hear whether she was coming back to know whether it was worth 'keeping going' and she told me Inca was coming back and would look similar to how she does now but a bit smaller. She have the same white blaze on her chest and the same eyes and I'd recognise her. so I've spend months working out what smaller breeds and crossbreeds would produce a smaller version of her from google images and asking people what breed there's was when I've seen one similar on FB or forums.

It gave me a lot of hope at the time and a reason to keep trying to work through the depression. I visit her bench everyday with JJ and even managed to get a photo of spirit image of a dogs face next to my scooter in the grass. That was a week after Inca passed but haven't managed to get her in photo's again (and took loads of that bench everyday!)

[​IMG]

I put this pic on my FB page and in a group for animal reincarnation and pet loss and everybody else could see it too (as I was worried it was just my imagination initally!)

I was trying to work out what breed it most resembled but the dog the animal communicator described doesn't match what I thought this dog looked like. She described a dog between the size of a cavalier and a collie and 'like Inca but with a wavier coat'. However I'd had a chat with Inca before she passed and asked, if it was possible for her to reincarnate that she come back as a smaller dog as it would be easier for me when we were both older, small breeds also live much longer so we'd have much longer together.

As the communicator seemed unaware of this conversation despite her claiming to have 'talked to Inca' it did make me doubt, but then I can't explain this photo as I KNOW I haven't altered it in any way! There was nothing there to see with the naked eye I spotted this when transferring the photo's from phone to computer!
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I do understand how you feel, and hope that you can find something that reminds you of Inca, but beware, it will still be a new person. Having said that, it always takes me by surprise when a 'replacement' dog starts to show some of the characteristics of the departed dog. Merry was almost 6 years old when Tweed passed, and is totally different in looks and breed type, but as she has settled in with us over the last year, she does seem to be developing several of Tweed's cheeky ways.
    How can this be? My guess is that we subconsciously reinforce those behaviours that we recognise, and which make us smile. I have had well over twenty dogs during my life, and however much I may have wished for it, I have never managed to get a reincarnation, - even when I was able to breed from related stock. Those special dogs are still with us though, they just live in our heads, and we keep their memories clear by thinking and talking about them.
    I hope that you are able to find your small dog soon. Could you post a picture of Inca? This might help to focus our suggestions a bit better.
  5. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    In her early years ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wasn't in wheelchair when I first got her... I now think she was possibly what they call a 'lurcher' ? but was told lab x collie when I first got her and Black Dog DNA said she was GSD x maltese x pug!!! which I can't really see.

[​IMG]
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    She was lovely. Were the awards for Obedience? Agility?
    I would think that she was a Hound/Collie mix in some proportion. I wouldn't trust the DNA test, Beverley Cuddy once had a test on her Champ. Beardie which came back as anything but!
    I know there is more coat than you like, but have you considered a Sheltie? It would need to be from a small line, as some of them can grow on a bit. Otherwise it is looking as if it means a trawl of the rescue sites to see if she is out there waiting for you.
  7. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Yes, I'd like to rescue one but I need a strong sign from her, that it's her especially if it doesn't look exactly like her as I don't just want another dog for the sake of having another dog, if you get what I mean.

My other issue is other people's prejudice, alot of smaller rescues insist youvisit their rescue centre or foster home or they want to talk to you on the phone (I'm profoundly deaf and can't use a phone) and they aren't necessarily accessible for wheelchairs, neither do they seem to be flexible.

The AC said she will find her way back to you and there will be no doubt. I'm just unsure when and whether she's intending to come back as a puppy or an older dog (not too old I hope as I'd like at least another 10 years with her). I want to be open minded about this incase it is at all possible for a dog to reincarnate and come back in the same lifetime and I've talked to people whose dogs have. I do believe in fate and JJ kind of came out nowhere at the time but I do believe he's here because he was meant to be.

So just crossing fingers now and waiting for a sign!
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I am sorry for your loss and can understand your pain, but am not sure looking for a mini replica of Inca is the right way to go, just because a dog might look similar it will never be and you could find yourself holding it to comparison all the time which would not be fair on yourself or the dog.
    Im not saying you would but its something to consider x
    Taking on a rescue dog is a big commitment and most come with some sort of baggage, it is by far better to go and visit, if you see a dog you like it would be advisable to make several visits, to see how it reacts to your wheelchair ,other dog ect:
  9. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate

I don't see a problem with it being the same I mean if she was pure black lab any other black lab would look the same as they only come in black, or rottweilers or other breeds that only come in one colour/size, some people go get another the same after the death of their last one, as they only want that breed/type of dog?

And if its Inca reincarnated of course she'll already be used to my wheelchair and JJ will know its her too!
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Yes I have always had Gsd’s because I love the breed but each one had there own individual personality, quirks and abilities, which makes them special, any similarities was down to breed traits.

Everyone is different’ for me each dog was special in their own right and it wasn't about replacing a pet but bringing a new one into my life.
  11. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I`m afraid you will be looking forever of you are trying to replica Inca.......even those who always have the same breed will know that no two are alike, they may have the same breed characteristics but they will all be individual in temperament.

I am not really sure what you are looking for to be honest, if another crossbreed that is small and black, is what you are after the rescues are full of them, but none of them will be inca...

Good luck with your search.
  12. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I have 6 JRT's which are all related mum, dad & their 4 hooligans from same litter, they are all different no 2 are alike. it was the same with my Rottweiler brothers they were like chalk & cheese & my GSD's half sisters they were like Jekyll & Hyde.
  13. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    I feel some of you are missing the point..I'm not looking for a replica of Inca's physical body.. I believe in reincarnation and that the same spirit/soul can come back for another lifetime. Her physical body was just that ..the body she happened to be in for her last lifetime, she may come back as a different breed or even a different sex, which admittedly I'm still getting my head round, but after speaking to an Animal Communicator again, she told me we are all the part of the same soul family (me, Inca and JJ) so she WILL come back, and we were all human in our last lifetime.

And JJ did seem to appear out of nowhere when I was originally looking at completely different dogs to him for 7 months! ..and didn't even know I had another soulmate besides Inca! .. so I guess i just have to trust the process that she will find her way back to me in some way, at some point.
  14. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Wouldn't that mean that she would find you rather than you looking for her?

Just a thought.
  15. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Sorry but on one of your posts you did say you were looking for a mini version of her.

Quote ) I've just been googling Italian Greyhounds and crosses of to see if it would produce a mini version of her. I've seen Chi crosses that looked similar with mostly black and white blaze on chest, short fur
  16. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Yes i have to admit when she first died I was thinking that if she came back it would have to be in a body looking very similar to her old self or I wouldn't see her as 'my Inca'. I tend to think very visually and I interpreted some of the first session with AC quite literally and have since downloaded loads of ebooks to read on the subject of Animal Reincarnation.

I've also looked at Italian Greyhounds and Chihuahua crosses as a friend has a chi x lab that looks like a mini version of her (or did more when they were both younger, her dog has kind of gone more white all over face in old age rather than just silvery eyebrows and mouth like Inca did).

I never considered though until very recently that she could come back a different colour or even male this time round! ..as apparently it's meant to be her choice, not me looking for a mini version of her old body for her spirit to transition into, so she can join us again.

I am aware that she (the AC) could have googled me and some of the info could be guesses based on photo's she's found on my blog, FB/Pinterest, so I'm thinking of trying a few different AC or psychic's, just out of curiosity to see if they all come up with the same info! (without knowing what each other said)...or a couple of things that are consistent in each reading.

In the park today I saw a beautiful big black great Dane, it was obviously getting on as had silvery grey round its mouth and eyebrows and just reminded me of her for a second, then spent rest of way home thinking "oh god what if she comes back as something as big as a Great Dane!" ..lol! ..or a male of a breed I hadn't considered and wouldn't normally have chosen! ..so I'm a bit paranoid that I might miss her at the minute if I'm not looking for the right dog. ..might sound totally wacky and out there but if there's the tiniest chance she could come back and spend another lifetime with us again before we all pop off over to the other side I'm trying to keep my mind open to the possibility! ..cos our little family is not complete without her!
  17. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Reincarnation? I think it is better to be realistic and learn to love another dog with another personality. There's no harm in being different. When my dog Brownie died that I had for almost 16 years, I didn't think I'd ever love another dog as much. But then I got Nigredo and quickly realized I loved him just as much and now even more! Change is good, hanging onto the dead is fine if that is truly what you believe, but I think you would benefit from another dog that has it's own personality.
  18. BoerboelMom

BoerboelMom New Member

Name:
    Ife
    I would recommend a Bichon Frise. They are calm and small. However, they are still playful and feisty. A Chihuahua might also be a good match for you. They are tiny dogs that are generally calm. However, they are still lively little dogs.

A French Bulldog might fit your needs, too. Frenchies do require exercise, but it’s fairly minimal and you’ll certainly find them snoring on the couch most of the day.
  19. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Then I am not sure looking for another dog is going to be beneficial for you, if you are waiting for Inca to be reborn then she will find you when she is ready.