Lower energy larger dogs? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by kammi_sparky123, May 4, 2012.

1. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:

Lower energy larger dogs?

Just covering more options :lol:

Was just curious which medium/large breeds would you say had a lower/medium energy level?

This all came about as I have recently been looking at bullmastiffs :) not sure if they are just TOO big though maybe!

So was curious what others there are?

This isn't to say I will be getting a low energy dog, as I do still like my other breeds (labs, GSD's and boxers etc :049:), but was just wondering! :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Greyhounds always get mentioned ...
  4. coventrycatfish

coventrycatfish New Member

Name:
    Bek
    Definately Greyhounds.

*looks across the room to where Guinness is indulging in his favourite activity of laying on his back with his legs in the air*

Guinness has his zoomies moments but he could win prizes for bone idleness.

ETA: My brother has a boxer and she's madder than a box of hot frogs. Never keeps still. If you get a boxer you will be kept on your toes. When I've looked after her for a day I'm always totally knackered.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
  5. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    The wolfhounds and Deerhounds i have met are also similar to greys in the laziness department.
  6. IsoChick

IsoChick New Member

Name:
    Shelley
    I have a Boxer who would give a greyhound a run for their money in a laziness competition...

Murphy is terrible - he will do everything he can to stay on his bed and avoid exercise. This includes pee-ing feet away from the back door - never even leaving the patio! He will also lie down on his bed at every given opportunity, and will only 'fetch' a ball or toy once - then he goes back to bed!!
  7. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    That made me chuckle, made me imagine some competition set up between him and Greyhounds..."let the laziest dog win!" :lol:

Of course I'm going to say Greyhound. I know of only a few 'high energy' ones...most can't be bothered with much and after a bit of zoomies are happy to sleep and chill.
  8. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    My Lab is very lazy indoors, as are all the other Labs I know. Same for all the Golden's I know -- very lazy indoors but will go for as long as required when out and about. The lurchers and Staffies that I know are also the same. I must stress that these are all mature adult dogs though, all of which can be frisky and energetic in youth.
  9. Luke

Luke New Member

Rough collies, all I have ever known (grandparents & great grandparents have ALWAYS had them) are the most laziest and chilled out dogs when need to be, yet happily to take as much exercise as you throw at them when you want them to be switched on.
    Deerhounds and RR are quite chilled out too IME
  10. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Estrelas are extremely lazy.:)
  11. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    have you been told bullmastiffs are low energy??

mine is not and at nearly 6 is only just calming down. But phoebe hasnt followed any of the typical bullmastiff things ive read. they apperently dont bark much either :roll:
  12. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    The ones I've met have been very energetic too.
  13. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han
    Yup. Agree with this. Whisper loves her walks and zooms about like a puppy when out and about but she loves to lay flat-out (or curled up on the sofa! :lol: ) in the house.

Roughs' are a 'moderate' energy breed but they are a nice size. Depends if you like grooming though as they do need a fair bit of that! :grin: xx

ETA: A breed I've been looking into - 'Eurasiers' - are a good sized dog but everything I've read about them says that they don't need masses of exercise although they will happily enjoy extra exercise. Am very interested in Eurasiers myself as a future dog.
  14. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

LOL maybe my Rough Collie was not typical, but he had soooo much energy! He used to get two hours or more virtually every day and at weekends, more. Lovely breed and calm in the home, I agree.
  15. DoKhyi

DoKhyi New Member

Name:
    DoKhyi
    To most people who meet him, the Tibetan Mastiff appears to be the most chilled out dog you could meet. To most visitors he appears to be just a big ol' lazy dog. Oh deary me - how appearances can be deceptive! :lol: Yes, he is like that now he's 7 and for about 90% of the time, but for the other 10% he fits in quite a bit of rampaging nuttiness in explosive bouts. He's a bit like a volcane - quiet... quiet...quiet... WHOOSH! quiet...

I would recommend a shar-pei though. They'll go as far as you want when they're in the mood, but you need a bomb to get them through the door on rainy days. A nice size too - not tall but big and protective enough to put off a mugger or burglar. And usually a laid back house dog who like being with their human an animal family. However, if you're not confident with dogs they will walk all over you.
  16. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    I have definatly found greyhounds to be the laziest dog s I have ever owned. My two don't even do occasional zoomies. a short lead walk and they are out cold for the day.
  17. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    I agree with Madmare...greyhounds are large and lazy dogs. Don't need much exercise and love to snooze. Two 20 minute walks 2 a day and they're happy, with maybe a chance to run a couple of times a week.:mrgreen:
  18. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han
    Whisper is a conundrum - we had a 2 hour walk today and she never tired. Loved it! :grin:

But when we walk with her on the pavements around town she looks like a real old lady and drags along beside you making you almost feel guilty for taking her out! It looks as though we're dragging this poor old dog through the streets...... :roll:

Though once on the park she loves nothing more than to run you'd never believe me if you saw her once we're out the park! :lol:

Have to admit I've sometimes wished she was a little bit more lively lol. Once home whatever, wherever she chills out and relaxes. In fact; even when we go to other people's houses with her she will crash out and settle beautifully. People who see her in houses can't believe she can ever be lively!

The other Rough's I've met have been very chilled out too.
  19. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:
    Thanks everyone!

katygeorge - yeah I was told they were low energy dogs? I am assuming by the way you asked that that it isn't true? :lol:

Have never looked into the rough collie actually!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
  20. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    I would agree RRs are chilled in the house but I wouldn't call them lower energy dogs as they can go all day, my boy is out for 2 hrs a day and runs at least 4 miles most days.
  21. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    I used to show and breed Rough and Smooth Collies many years ago and ours were always very chilled.
    I have met some nutty ones but if you go for good show lines they are normally quiet dogs. As puppys though they do seem to suffer more than most breeds at teething time and can be quite destructive.
    I can remember losing all the corners off my newly fitted carpet!