Malone... A puppy General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by mjfromga, Sep 25, 2019.

1. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ

Malone... A puppy

So Malone is always bad.

He escaped his crate yesterday and went downstairs and went haywire in the living room... Destroyed a lot of paper, a pair of shoes, and then went wee on the floor.

0924190246.jpg

Then he got zoomies and jumped on me and scratched me.

0924190247.jpg

Then he didn't want to stay in his crate while his messes were cleaned up and he got time out for zoomies and destructo puppy. He decided that yapping was a good idea...

Then when I did let him out... We went outside. He just got a bath and a nail trim and came back inside COVERED in hitchhikers.

0925191355a.jpg

But I still gave him a treat... Even though Malone is bad and Nigredo is good... I do my best to treat them equally

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Chris B and mjfromga like this.
    Malone is a puppy and I always get the feeling you expect him to act like a calm adult dog. You also compare him a lot to Nigredo. I can understand the time out for destruction, but not for having the zoomies, which is normal puppy behavior, and so is being destructive. I think you have unrealistic expectations for Malone, given his age. He can’t help being a puppy, because, well, he is a puppy.
  4. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Yup. He's a puppy... It is impossible to forget that. Nigredo had a destructive streak as a puppy too. Meh - I do not expect him to behave like Nigredo... EVER. They have two very different personalities.

I was recommended to give zoomy puppies some time out because it is usually due to overstimulation. He doesn't usually yap in his crate... So it makes sense that it is true that overstimulation causes it. Last time he had a bad zoom session, he fell down the stairs... He was not hurt, but still.

I took him to get his claws cut and bathed by groomers. I am subscribed to Bark Box so he has plenty of toys and treats. I subscribe to Bully Max vitamins for him. I have shelled out a bazillion bucks to incompetent vets for him. I buy him all types of treats. I train him when I have the time. I have begun taking him to the park in the mornings. I buy him good dog food etc.

I love the little monster and I realize that he is just a puppy... And also that he was taken from his mother far too early and as such... He isn't quite as docile as Nigredo was as a puppy.

He still has over half a mouth of baby teeth and he is 32 lbs of extremely high energy terror... Something Nigredo never was as a puppy and I am not used to... But Malone is JUST a puppy as you said...
  5. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    He just spent over two hours running around outside (it is 88 degrees outside) while I cleaned one of my fish holdings and everything. He came back inside and proceeded to throw toys all over and jump on Nigredo and then chase Oreo. He is currently bolting around the house with an annoying crinkle toy (those are his favorites).

He almost never tires out. It is really something else. He has terrier in him... Extremely high energy.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    My daughter's puppy is 19 weeks old. He's quite calm for a staffy, but his teeth are really bothering him now. He had never destroyed anything, but today he has chewed up a pair of shoes and a doormat.

When my daughter asked for advice, I gave it on how to help soothe his teeth with frozen stuff and chews and also told her the inappropriate chewing was her fault for

a not putting her shoes out of reach

b not keeping a close enough eye on him

Ah, the wonderful joys of puppyhood :)
  7. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    The shoes indeed were not mine and definitely should not have been where Malone could get them. Malone has chewed up and destroyed several things long before he chewed the shoes though.

He has big back teeth beginning to push through I saw today. But honestly the chewing of shoes is the LEAST of the issues.

Bolting all over the house, constantly trying to play with everything, jumping up on everything... And taking AGES to settle is ridiculous. When he is out of his crate... There is NO peace and quiet. Like ever.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    He sounds like a real live wire. Bless him, he will calm down - eventually :)
  9. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Hopefully. He also has PRA-PRCD... Which will of course slow him way down in a few years as he will lose his vision. But for now... He is ridiculously hyper.