Might be time to find a new Veterinary practice General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by who owns who, Oct 27, 2020.

1. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc

Might be time to find a new Veterinary practice

I took my dogs to the Vets today for a Heartworm vaccination and a check up for Katie Mae. I wait in the parking lot as we aren’t allowed in right now. The vet, who I didn’t recognize, came out to talk to me after looking at Katie Mae but called her Bandit. Right away I was ticked off. I said Bandit is in the back seat, and he’s a male. He had to thumb through the chart for a few seconds. I wasn’t impressed.

Both dogs have gained weight. Pre C19 I’d stop in every month or two and weigh them so I could slightly adjust their food. Katie Mae weighed 76 lbs and Bandit 97 lbs. She should lose 6 lbs and Bandit around 7 lbs.
    I’m lazy some days after being on my feet for 10 hours and instead of a walk I just throw stuff around the yard for them. Usually when I get home and again after I’ve had dinner.

When I got home I decided to call the Vet office and tell them I go to there clinic because I like my dogs and myself to keep seeing the same Vet and in the future I’d like to make sure all my appointments are with Tony, the owner. Also to say they hadn’t put the current weights on my paperwork.

Turns out Tony and his wife have just sold the practice because his house burned down in the fire here in August. Apparently it would have taken them years to get the proper permits to rebuild so they decided to move. They lost everything in their house.

He was a good vet and I really liked the way he communicated. He had another vet working there previously but she stopped working because of C19 being diabetic and very overweight. She was ok but not as good of a communicator. I’ll miss him. I do wish they’d sent out an email saying the practice has changed hands. They don’t just get to buy me as a client.

I have no connection to the new owners, and he didn’t even have my dogs name right. I’m going to start asking around to see if I find someone who really likes their vet. This place is convenient, it’s only 10 minutes away, further up and away from town. My dogs do know the building, but I think they’d be fine at a new place.

I will just take them to a discount mobile clinic for vaccines in February and April for next heartworm shot
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That is bad Marc - you not being informed that the practice had been sold, and the new vet mixing up the names of your dogs.

I can understand why they are not letting owners in with their pets but I do not like the idea and would strongly object to it. Ram is letting owners in to his surgery but only one at a time and not letting people come in to wait in the waiting room. Everyone has to stay outside until they are called in when the previous person/pet has gone. When Amit went to pick up the Bravecto for Tikva during the first lockdown as Ram was not coming out then, he had to stay outside, wait for the nurse to come out and ask what he wanted, then wait again for her to go back in, check Tikva's notes on the computer, and take the tablet back out to him. He had my card with him to pay for it.

Since then Ram comes here as usual, including the last time when we were in the second lockdown - which we are still in. Now Tikki has had her yearly booster I will have the yearly problem of trying to get hold of Vadim for Tikki's rabies shot, hoping that he too will come out as usual.
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka likes this.
    So it’s not just me that thought it was unprofessional to not have informed me. Just that alone leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Time to do some research. There are plenty of other vet offices close enough
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    I miss the days when it used to be privately owned practices.
    The last practice I used had three different branches, unless you made an appointment well ahead it was impossible to see the same vet, as they rotated between the practices.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes, our vets have three branches. I think the rotation is to stop most of the clients favouring one vet. Our preferred vet for Eddie's old problem is on emergency call out this week, and is at the furthest branch next week. We are seeing her on Monday.
  7. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    We used to have a fantastic Spanish vet at our practice and I always asked for him. Unfortunately, he left to go back home to Spain :(.

The owner of the practice and the new vet are very good, but not as good as Pableo. Just his manner gave you confidence that your dog was in safe hands.

Juli, none of the vets here can allow people into the surgery for Covid reasons. I'm hoping and praying that I don't need to take Rosie because I hate the idea
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Now it is so cold, we are not even able to have the car park consultations, and our dogs are taken in by the nurses. As poor Eddie has now had, (if I remember correctly), ten operations, he shakes like a leaf while he waits his turn - he used to be so brave when his mum was able to go in with him.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    We are still in our second lockdown Chris and although I do not know about other surgeries, Ram is letting people in with their pets - only one person allowed in at a time.

If, Heaven forfend, Tikki had to go to the surgery, ie if it was something Ram could not come here to do, Amit would take her as I doubt I will ever be able to go out for the foreseeable future. And even if at that time things had changed and nobody was allowed in, Tikki would quite happily go in with either Ram or one of the nurses.

She is not a clingy little dog in that respect. Not that she would let a stranger go off with her, which is why I do not have to worry about someone unclipping her tether while she is in the yard. Unless it was Amit, of course! Little slut!
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Poor Eddie - how is his eye doing? It must be so scary for him and so worrying for you.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    His eye is fine. Still the little dimple, but that will take time to go.
    It is his rear end that is the problem this time. After five years, the tumours are back and he is getting blocked and losing quite a bit of blood. In between episodes of trying to 'go' he is so happy and playful. He is not ready to go yet, especially after all he has been through this year.
    I need to see what the vet can do for him. I'm dreading Monday.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Oh dear - I had thought that was OK now and am so sorry to hear it is not good again.
  13. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Oh no, poor Eddie. Poor lad, it's just one thing after another for him. You must be tearing your hair out especially when you can't take him in to give him your support :(
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thanks Chris, it is upsetting but I'm trying to stay hopeful. The vet said no more ops werould be possible five years ago - but I'd be happy if she could just make him comfortable. He wouldn't get any walks if we didn't have the wood at the end of the road. It is too graphic to risk public scrutiny.
  15. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Good luck for Monday Carole. Everything crossed that things go OK. xx