Mixed breeds, Designer breeds and Crosses! Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by hades, Apr 23, 2008.

1. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus

Mixed breeds, Designer breeds and Crosses!

Just want to here from everyone with Cross breeds, Designer breeds or mixes.
    I have read alot of threads saying whats bad about them and why people shouldnt but them...etc
    Being an owner of first generation cross young dog, and knowing his great temp...health and him just being my ideal dog, I would like to start a thread about whats good about.. crosses...designer breeds and mixes!
    Any stories...pics and any views about whats good about there cross breed, designer breed or mixed breed dogs??
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2008
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. dollyknockers

dollyknockers

Name:
    n/a
    I dont have a problem with people owning or choosing to own a cross breed , I have owned several myself over the years , And they have been wonderful dogs , All rescue dogs , My problem I have with designer breeds is people deliberately breeding them and charging extoranate fees for them , Just to supply the market of demand for a novelty breed without doing proper health checks on the two breeds or there puppies and haven no interest in trying to establish a new breed only doing it to fatten there wallets xxdk
    Here is my gsd / boxer cross Juke , I got him from a rescue centre , When he was 8 weeks old, He was a very intelligent loving obedient dog but he was not without endless health problems relating from both sides of his parentage [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2008
  4. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
    I don't own one at the minute but have in the past and his temprement was as good as any pedigree I own or have owned.
  5. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Don't think anyone has anything against the dogs themselves it is the poor breeding that worries those who care about dogs that is criticised. There is also bad breeding in pure breeds and there is no excuse for that either.
  6. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    ive seen alot with health tests, as long as its not for stupid money and its all heathly etc, then i guess why not?

i have a Bichon Frise x West Highland Terrier, sold as a 'Wee-Chon'

i would buy a Cavachon CKCS x Bichon!

:)
  7. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    I have always had mongrels and the past two have been rescued dogs. We had two mongrels in our family as a child and our new puppy is the first time i have had a particular breed of dog (more or less).

I like mongrels because you never quite know what you are going to get with them! I also tend to think that they are healthier than a lot of pedigree dogs, i am not sure why i think this, but it is also something that the vets my dogs have seen have commented on.
  8. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    We used to have a crossbreed years ago, a rescue, and he was my soulmate. He had health issues but we dealt with them.

However no-one is condemning the crossbreeds or mixes, they condemn the breeders who produce them with no care for the dogs, the breeds, the health, temperament, etc etc and only do it for money.

You can't really say what's good about crossbreeds generally, as they aren't all the same, just as many purebreds aren't the same, it all depends on the care and attention taken when breeding from the parents, exceot with crossbreeds (outcrossing) you then open up the genetic pool for even more problems.
  9. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I can say the exact same thing about my pure breds, in fact one of my puppy buyers has just told me that her vet took her pup out into reception to announce that he was perfect :mrgreen:
    As others have said, it's not the dogs that are the problem but the breeders who will continue to churn them out and charge high prices whilst there are people willing to buy them.
    Becky
  10. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    [​IMG]

This was Pickles, my terrier cross who sadly died last December. I say terrier cross, but god knows what he was crossed with!

He was rescued from the DogsTrust as a stray and boy did he know it! At every available opportunity, if he couldn't see me, he'd get out of the house/garden to go and find me! Unfortunately he wasn't really blessed with brains and not only was I, 9 times out of 10, already in the house, but in a different room! Once he'd escaped, as soon as he hit the bottom of the drive he'd suddenly forget that he was looking for me, but turn into "StreetPickles"! The dog on a mission to find a new family - completely forgetting he already had one! :lol:

He was the sweetest, friendliest dog you could ever meet and he's still missed terribly! :049:
  11. Stormey

Stormey New Member

Name:
    Phill
    Here is Jake, a true heinz. He is 9 now and is still active and fit as any younger dogs and well bred dogs, as never been ill either. He had the crappiest start in life including being beaten as a pup.

[​IMG]
  12. Schapiro

Schapiro New Member

Name:
    Kaetlyn
    I had what looked like a GSD/Elkhound I'd found on the street some time ago. After what seemed like ages and ages of trying to locate an owner, we decided to just find him a new home (couldn't keep him as we have 3 boys already). He was so thin and had his coat was in a miserable condition when I'd first picked him up, but once he was nursed back to health he was simply stunning! Needless to say he was wonderful-he looked like a wolf, and behaved like a true gentleman. I couldn't believe someone would dump him like that-or lose him and not reply to the thousands of posters/ads I had put up within my county and the counties around it.

I love mixes because it seems that each one is different. Every time I go to the pound no two dogs look alike (unless, of course, they are purebred, or from the same litter).
    The only problem with mixes I have are designer dogs. When there are so many pups in need of homes, why should we produce more? There is a dog breed to do every job (if not nearly every job)-hunting, tracking, pulling, service, lower-shedding breeds, etc, therefore, (in my opinion) absolutely no reason to produce these designer dogs.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2008
  13. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    Here Are some of Roggie Doggie, first one took today on my lap, the other 2 tonight playing with his Daddy!

I know mums n dads are biased but we seriously think his better looking than westies and bichons.........:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. donkey

donkey New Member

Name:
    ricky
    nothing against crosses, there are plenty of bad breeders breeding pure bred kc dogs as well, imo i think think it is these puppy farmers that have moved onto designer xbreeds, if they wernt breeding designer x they would be breeding the lastest must have kc breed anyhow. think siberians are becoming very popular near me lately
  15. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    [​IMG]
    Heres mine N.I x anteater lol...
    Is it that a cross breed is a dog in which you can identify the pedigrees to make the cross and with a mongrel its a mixture of lots of different dogs ? just wondering.
  16. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    hi Ink welcome back

I love x breeds, love the NI x anteater look
  17. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Thanks Ali, tell you that nose comes in handy when that boy is beetle hunting yuck ! he was at it again last night, he gets called beetle juice in the summer, he doesn't eat the beetles just brings them in to watch them running round !
  18. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    Here is my american bulldog x staffordshire bull terrier...hades!
    He is such a loving dog, he is loyal, friendly, very strong and very agile.. he can jump a 5 ft fence easy!
    He has ALOT of energy...some times too much..lol
    He loves people, kids and Loves meeting doggie friends.
    He gets us stopped every day with people wanting to say hello which he loves and he loves to give people wet sloberry kisses!
    At night he is very alert and always on guard.... well he thinks he is!lol

here he is at 8 weeks
    [​IMG]
    and here he is at 7 months
    [​IMG]
    he is now 1 year old....but digi cams playin up so i'll post some new ones soon.....he is sooo much bigger!
    hope you like!
  19. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    ooooooh hes gorgeous !
  20. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    A crossbreed is a cross of 2 pure breeds, hence the name 'crossbreed'.

A Mongrel is a dog containing lots of different breeds, i.e, crossbreed X crossbreed or crossbreed X purebred or mongrel X mongrel.
  21. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    Just wat i would say it was too Malady, crossbreed, liek what i have bichon x westie

mongrel, bichon x westie x springer which was crossed with something unknown then maybe even crossed again!