Mixed breeds, Designer breeds and Crosses! Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by hades, Apr 23, 2008.

1. bedlam

bedlam New Member

Name:
    annette & stan
    This is Jessica. she is no longer with us.
    She was a staffiexlabradorxwhippet.
    She was really intelligent, very protective, and just a fab all round dog.
    Unfortunatley she also had bad skin allergies (apparently from the staffie in her), could be very aggressive with other dogs (also staffie) ate like a horse (lab) and her legs were very thin (whip).
    So the poor girl had some bad probs during her life (only 10 years) but after we rescued her she wanted for nothing and was loved as much as she could be.

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    Awww she was really lovely, im glad that she had a lovely life with you, and you with her *hUgs* :)
  4. MaryS

MaryS New Member

Name:
    Mary
    This is my Taki

She is a feral mongrel from Cambodia, who I brought back to UK as a 6 month old pup, as she saved my life.

Probably the toughest dog I have ever owned, but she has taught me more than all the others put together.

She was 8 in this photo, (10 yrs now and still able to keep up with a brown hare).

[​IMG]

Mary
  5. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    That`s exactly how we feel about Mia.. we think she`s looks cuter than the lhasa and the dachshund. :mrgreen:
  6. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    and she is!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  7. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    Like others have said, it's not the dogs which people dislike, but the breeders who produce them purely for financial gain (crossbreed or pedigree) or to create an unneccesary "new breed."
    Our crossbreed "Ben" (Black Lab/GSD) was our once-in-a-lifetime dog.

[​IMG]

We first saw him when he was carried to our door by some local teenagers who had found him in the mud of the Thames foreshore near our home. He had broken ribs, smashed teeth, was painfully thin, covered in mud and seemed barely alive. He had been beaten, kicked, starved and tied up with wire before being thrown into the Thames to drown. Luckily for him, the tide was out at the time and he was spotted half-buried on the mud by some of the local kids. Despite his hardships and injuries, his spirit was never broken and his response to us and the sparkle which stayed in his eyes through all his pain convinced us to ignore the vet’s suggestion that he be ‘put to sleep.’ Instead, slowly we nursed him back to health. His recovery was remarkable, astounding both us and the vet.
    He became a PAT dog and his regular visits brought joy to the residents of our local Senior Citizen’s Home. Despite his experiences, he loved people. He did hate violence however, and on one occasion drove off an attacker who was viciously beating up a gay man who lived near us. For a while we entered him in obedience competitions, but his eyes and ears began to fade and he spent his last few years in well-deserved retirement.

He was ridiculously healthy and lived till he was 20. He died almost 8 years ago, but we still think of him every single day.
  8. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

mutts are great
    I love every little thing about Ben
    But he was bred by irrisponsable people, who thankfully got him to Dogs Trust

you just dont know what you are going to get when you cross 2 or more breeds
    people dont need to go out of thier way to breed more crossbreeds - there will always be accidental matings and great crosses for rescue
    - well done some of you for taking on dogs with such a bad start in life
    people deliberatly breeding them are greedy with far more love of money than dogs and people buying them are ill informed followers of fashion

I agree many of them are sooooo cute
    but the rescues have lots of cuties too - and if you rescue you are not supporting the greedy breeders
  9. bens mum

bens mum New Member

Name:
    cathy
    [​IMG]
    this is ben hes a 6 yr old his mum was a pure short haired rough collie, his dad was an opportunist on a playing field, he was a rough collie x retriever, apparently hes the spitting image of his dad.
    i saw his brother yesterday looks totally different,
  10. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    awwww his lovely!!! he looks a little bit gsd...or is that just me?? :D
  11. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Aww ben's gorgeous, what a handsome boy! :049:
  12. bens mum

bens mum New Member

Name:
    cathy
    nope hes 75% collie, :)
    hes one cracking dog a lazy fella who could do with a bit of weight loss and a good bath (hes stinky LOL)
  13. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    lol!! his coats lovely! thatll take a long old time to dry!!! :shock: :lol:
  14. bens mum

bens mum New Member

Name:
    cathy
    tell me about it. we got caught in a terrible down pour of rain tuesday. my coat dried quicker than his did. and his ear hair goes all crimped like ive crimped it on purpose.:lol: and hes a nightmare to groom, he hates it, LOL
  15. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
    All the picture's are brill keep them coming.xx
  16. spot

spot New Member

:lol: All lovely dogs and some really lovely if tear jerking storys

This is Tara or the bag - possible whippet in there somewhere but who knows what else, very very timid and fearful when we first got her (as a foster:roll: ) but now a bolshy little madam with a penchant for eating sofas!

[​IMG]

With her bestest mate Dennis

[​IMG]

This Dennis - possible patterdale/whippet so a patterpet!:lol: We went to meet a big scruffy lurcher which turned out to be this little squirty thing but couldnt resist him so home he came. Fiesty little sod who put the big uns in their place

[​IMG]
  17. dollyknockers

dollyknockers

Name:
    n/a
    Beautiful dogs everyone keep the pics coming xxdk
  18. dollyknockers

dollyknockers

Name:
    n/a
    Spot I love the look of innocence on Tara face even with all the stuffing lyig around her lol xxdk
  19. Alissa

Alissa New Member

Name:
    Alissa
    I own a beautiful Rottweiler/malamute/wolf. Her mother was a registered purebred Rottweiler and the father was an enormous Alaskan Malamute/wolf cross. I often wonder how anyone could be blessed with a more perfect dog. She represents the best of both breeds and at 105 lbs is more of the size of a wolf. She is gentle, extremely intelligent, loyal, eager to please, strong, and active. She is three years old and has been very healthy. She loves hiking through the bush with me and swimming in any water that can be found. I also own two toy breed dogs who she respects and plays gently with. I taught her from the beginning that I was the pack leader as well as my husband and children. She knows her place in our family. I often wonder how I could ever find this cross again. There were 12 in the litter and I know where some of them live. Their temperments are very much like hers, but they are not as obedient (which is more the human fault). I have owned many cross breeds before and she by far is the most loving companion and friend I have ever known.
  20. fizzywizz

fizzywizz New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    this is fizz, shes the most amazing collie x flat coat we rescued from the RSPCA 5 years ago.
    shes 8 now and still the most playful ball of fur you will ever meet :D
    [​IMG]
  21. Angel44

Angel44 New Member

Name:
    Nikki
    We've got a little Jack Russell x Chihuahua. She is absolutely tiny (2.5kg) and looks just like a chihuahua but with a short tail and a long nose :p I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to dogs and I do like my purebred dogs. When we bought Midge 6 years ago she was sold to us as a jack russell, but as she grew up (or didn't really grow much at all actually) it became obvious that she wasn't :roll: However, she has turned out to be a fantastic little dog and we wouldn't change her for the world.