Most misunderstood dog breeds Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Azz, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz

Most misunderstood dog breeds

What do you think are the most misunderstood dog breeds... and why?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Azz, 6JRT's and CaroleC like this.
    Can and worms springs to mind here Azz.

How long can this thread run without (oops I've done it) mention of Staffies.

I'll kick off with Dobes and Rotties - lovely dogs but far too often portrayed the wrong way in the movies.

From a more personal point of view - Springer Spaniels. If I had a pound for every brain dead owner that's out all day and say they have 'nutter' of a dog. That gets my back up.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Inevitably, I am going to say Staffies! Then I would say Rotties. And I have also come across people who do not trust Shar Pei for some reason.

And most people have completely the wrong idea about Poodles and Chihuahuas! Given the chance, both breeds are intelligent and active dogs. Only two days ago I was chatting to someone I know from Pilates, and mentioned I often walk the length of the Spa Trail, which is just over ten miles there and back. She couldn't believe that the Chihuahua was capable of walking that distance. And she was what one would describe as a 'doggy' person, who professionally trains gun dogs - so I would have hoped she would have known better!

Fashions in who or what to hate and fear seem to change! When I was a child, the most misunderstood breed was most certainly the German Shepherd,or Alsatian as it was usually known then. My mother would cross the street to avoid one. Then it seemed to be overtaken by the Doberman, and then by the Rottie. And then by any Staff/Pit Bull type.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Border Collies - train themselves because they are so clever
    Labradors - aren't they just so cute when they shred that Andrex toilet roll
    Dalmations - easy to keep 101 of them

:)
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Azz, 6JRT's and Janet like this.
    As long as the Daily Mail and other red-top "news" papers keep using that Alamy picture of the sneezing Staffie as a demonstration of an "evil" dog, most people will, unfortunately, automatically think Staffie = Baddie.

And as far as I know the owner of that gorgeous Staffie can not get either Alamy to remove it, or stop it being used any time a dog thought to be a Staffie has bitten anyone, especially a child.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's, Azz and Janet like this.
    Almost all toy dogs. The majority of which live as little more than (much loved) animated pyjama cases, when they are capable of really enjoying doing so much more. Many toys do successfully compete in Obedience, HTM, Agility or Rally. There is a Cavalier with a Working Trial CD Ex qualification, which is currently working the UD stake.
    And yes, all of those high drive breeds which are so intelligent that they are supposed to instinctively know how to behave - it's bred in them you see!
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC and Azz like this.
    I would say my breed JRT's because without proper training you will have unruly dogs that ignore you & they will just go off chasing rabbits, squirrels & birds, they will given half the chance grab your trouser leg & will tug it until it rips, unless you stop them straight away when they are still puppies.

JRT's are not a dog for new dog owners as given a chance will rule the house from day one.
  9. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Azz likes this.
    I believe there are a number of misunderstood breeds or those with misconceptions for one reason or another.

Although I'm going to say APBT. Pit Bulls have had a stigma attached to them for a long time due to the dog fighting aspect. There are really a lot of myths and misconceptions that surround them. This extends to their owners being stereotyped as well.

I don't know if I can recall everything I've ever heard but at least some of the following. . .

People believe that Pit Bulls are dangerous in that they are unpredictably aggressive and/or will always become aggressive, "snap" without warning, will eventually attack someone. While they are capable of severe damage the number of Pits that are actually human aggressive and present a danger is very low compared to the over all population. I also believe for the most part with Pit Bull (or any other dog) there are usually clear signs before a bite or prior aggressive behavior before a serious attack eventually happens.

Some believe the opposite, that Pit Bulls are never going to be aggressive unless trained to be that way. They will only bite if abused or taught to attack. Of course human aggression is a fault in the breed & even unacceptable by standard but there are off dogs in any breed. In some cases it's simply poor breeding and that can happen in any breed too.

*They have locking jaws.
    *Their brains grow too big for their head causing them to "snap" (heard this about Rotts & Dobies too)
    *They will only be dog aggressive if trained to fight
    *They are only good for fighting and they can't be trained to do anything else
    *They are a dominant breed and will turn on you when they grow up
    *Chocolate Pits have more health problems
    *Black Pits are mixes
    *Blue Pits are rare
    *Red nose Pits are 1) the most aggressive 2) are fighting Pits 3) are less healthy 4) are rare / better than black nose 5) are their own breed and/or shouldn't be bred with black nose dogs (one person said you are making mutts if you do that)
    *Pits are a large breed weighing over a 100lbs with a big head and chest
    *Pit Bulls are brachycephalic
    *Pit Bulls have their ears cropped for fighting
    *Are not a real breed / are not a pure breed
    *Are only owned by drug dealers or dog fighters
    *They don't make good pets
    *Pit Bull owners are all uneducated
    *All owners are irresponsible and their dogs will cause trouble sooner or later. All the breeders are irresponsible and don't care about the breed.
    *Only people who want a tough dog for their ego have Pit Bulls. If they wanted a friendly pet they would have a Lab.
    *Pit Bulls were bred for / created to hunt bears
    *Pit Bulls came from crossing bullmastiff and Staffy that came to America
    *The AKC doesn't and never will recognize Pit Bulls
    *Pit Bulls are a type of dog comprised of numerous breeds
    *Only dog fighters own treadmills or springpoles
    *Pit Bulls are nanny dogs
  10. CuteRotts

CuteRotts New Member

Name:
    Em
    Contrary to my avatar I no longer own a Rottie :(
    When we lost Dennis I couldn't bring myself to get another, but that's another story.

We now have Edith, a 15 month old Dogue de Bordeaux. And she's as big as Dennis already!

As an owner of a couple of Rotties I was used to people crossing the road away from us, so I knew what to expect as the owner of a big dog. How wrong was I ??!! In all my years I thought people moved away from big dogs. They do not. They move away from Rottweilers. To my surprise (and to be honest it sometimes gets on my nerves) they cross the road towards you with an "adorable" looking DDB. How naive was I....

So yes, Rottweilers are much misunderstood.
    (and I still desperately miss my baby monster)

Em x
  11. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Azz likes this.

People round here are the same - there are a couple of Dogues de Bordeaux locally which get lots of friendly attention - unlike a couple of Rotties I know, both of which are just as friendly as the Dogues.

But I've decided that if I ever want to be popular and meet lots of people, I'll get a Leonberger! There are two that live here (not together) and everyone wants to stop and make a fuss of them.