My boy is a carrier of Epilepsy. Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Cheyenne, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    What a terrible shame :(

I applaud you for sharing the information.

However I do wonder how you have concluded that your boy carries it - could it not have come from the Mothers side or equally be a result of trauma or reaction to something that the owner might not be aware of .... I am merely wondering
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    tis true.. could be ie :?
  4. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

Awful to hear this as it is a horrible disease, however well done for openly admitting that you dog has produced this. Far too many try and cover up problems and not enough are open about issues!
  5. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Unfortunately when "designer"breeds are being produced the foundation breeds are rarely from the best of bloodlines. I don't know what type of GSD were used, but if it was the English type they are quite likely to go back to know epilepsy affected & producing dogs :-(

If you find Quadrille of Eveley or Avon Prince of Alumvale are behind your dog they you know once source of epilepsy
  6. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    It would be very interesting to know if anybody does actually know the names and lines of any of the dogs used before they were called a "breed". I have certainly never heard of any.
  7. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    We have been advised by Dr Jeff Sampson (he Kennel Club Canine Genetics Co-ordinator) some years ago that it would take 2 carriers to pruduce it, so therefore both sire and dam would have to carry it.
    So far there has been no reason given for this dog to have suddenly starting fitting, and without a reason it must be taken that it is idiopathic epilepsy and therefore genetic.

I would like to thank you all for your words of support, I have clearly become a bit paranoid over the years lol :blush:
  8. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    As promised here is Diesel's ped

[​IMG]

Thankfully Diesel has not been over used and has only had a few litters, so i am hopeful there will not be anymore affected due to Diesel's imput.
  9. claudeen

claudeen New Member

You also mentioned that epilepsy would come from the dam, but have not given the pedigree of the dam.
  10. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    well im confuzzed... shadowlands aragorn isnt grey :?
  11. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Of course she has, the female side of the pedigree IS the dams pedigree!
  12. Kalasin

Kalasin New Member

Name:
    Kalasin
    As far as I can make out...that pedigree is Diesel's pedigree and not the pedigree of one of Diesel's puppies...so we don't have the pedigree info for the dam of the puppies. This is, I think, what Claudeen is saying...
  13. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Yes but if Diesel is the carry of epilepsy then its his pedigree people need to see, to see where he himself came from. I take it, it would be the same as a DNA test for Diesel to be a carry one or both of his parents were either affected or a carry them selves..
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011
  14. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    But how certain is it that Diesel as the sire is the carrier, could it not have come from the dams side:?
  15. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    I am not to sure about it and handnt read the thread fully before my reply, but it would seem both parents need to be carriers.
  16. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    I think what was meant was the dam of the epileptic puppy's pedigree

It quite a closely bred pedigree & with no knowledge of the single named dogs nor the exact breeds behind them. I would be seriously concerned about it
  17. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    If it is genetical epilepsy than the defective gene must be on both sides of the pedigree that is common sense
  18. claudeen

claudeen New Member

Can you not read Dawn ??

She has not given details of the puppy's mother only Diesel the puppy's father !!!
  19. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    Claudeen..
    I think that would be down to the dams owner to make that information public.. even though it should be reported.
  20. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

I read it that Dawn is saying the female side of the puppy's father is the same as one side of the puppy's mother???
  21. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Do you need to be so rude!!!! :roll: