My boy is a carrier of Epilepsy. Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Cheyenne, Jan 31, 2011.

1. claudeen

claudeen New Member

Only replying with the same sarcasm as Dawn, I am not normally SO RUDE but did not think I deserved Dawn's answer!!

My original quote was a genuine and viable question.

I understand Janie that it would be up to the dam's owner, lets hope we can get all the information.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Its not her place to do so is it? She is being responsible for HER dog. She is showing the breeding of her dog, she would need the owner of the affected dogs permission to publish that pedigree.
  4. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    To right Dawn!
  5. claudeen

claudeen New Member

How funny Dawn, you not only have a problem understanding English but also seem to be suffering from memory loss. It was not Sandra curry 's place to show copies of pedigrees of dogs that did not all belong to her. I don't remember you insisting she get the permission of the owners. No you were all for it, you did not seem to worry about the owners feelings then. Maybe a few sessions of ECT would sort you out.
  6. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    If it takes both the sire and the dam of the puppy who has been diagnosed to produce epilepsy then thank you for at least posting the male side Marie.

There are a few dogs on this pedigree that are in my dogs line's but i think you'd be hard pushed to find an NI without at least a few of these dogs which is why i suppose you only get a three generation pedigree when purchasing one now.
  7. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Differences aside Marie, I am really sorry to be reading this. I feel for all parties concerned. I cannot begin to imagine how it must feel for the owners of the pup and your feelings also.

I do believe it would be helpful for people to know who the dam is (though I am sure some people will put two and two together), but understand why you do not wish to say.
  8. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Thank you.

Its not a case that i do not wish to say. As i have said in my first post, the dam is not my dog nor is the pup so therefore it is not my place to post info about the dogs in question.

I am glad to say that the dam has only been bred from once, so there isnt a lot of pups at risk. Its now just a waiting game to see if any more come down with it, all i can do now is hope that no more will suffer.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011
  9. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

I'm really glad you have posted this information Marie. It will hopefully serve to help people prepare for the worst case scenario.

Loki's epilepsy is a nightmare. Apart from the continual terror of losing our beloved dog, the worry about its effect on him and the impact upon us as a family - the insurance company have increased their premiums this year - £600!!! No doubt it will double again next year and this is because of the ongoing medication he has to have and the possibility of emergency treatment.
  10. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Everything crossed here that non of the others have it and hopefully non have or will be bred from.
  11. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Everything crossed here too!
  12. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    I am so sorry for what you and your family go through, Loki is lucky to have such loving owners! Lots of kisses and hugs to Loki xx

None of the pups have been bred from and nor will they, I know that a number of them have already been neutered.
  13. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    That is good news xxxxxxx
  14. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

:grin:Thank you. I think you are one of the very few who has ever publicised a possible health problem in their pups (i.e. not covered it up). Well done!
  15. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Thank you.

I just dont think covering problems up will help it just makes things worse in the long run. The best way imo is to be open and talk about it.

I really hope by posting my boys ped it will help in some way, beit a breeder planning a litter or a buyer looking for a pup. Its the least i can do.
  16. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    or make relatives owners para ;-) (joke... cos i have 2 )
  17. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    I know, and yeh i prob have made a few peeps a bit paranoid
  18. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Any word yet from the owner of the bitch Marie?
  19. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Im sorry but i dont understand what it is that you are asking me?
  20. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Sorry, just came across the notice when clearing out my mail box. I just wondered if the bitch's owner has given permission for you to tell us who she is and maybe a pedigree too? I am assuming she was a NID.
  21. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    When did you speak to him?
    When I conversed with Dr Rushbridge in 2010 it was not known the mode of inheritence in the GSD which this breed is based on.
    This is quote from me on a GSD board from January 2010;

'the mode of inheritence of epilepsy is different in different breeds, as far as I am aware it as not been clarified in the GSD and I am awaiting that information. for example: Belgian shepherd (Groenendael and Tervueren).oligogenic with probable single gene with significant influence Homozygotes will be epileptic and heterozygotes have increased risk of epilepsy.
    Lagotto Romagnola autosomal recessive
    Keeshonds autonomic simple recessive
    Labrador Retriever autosomal multifactorial recessive
    Miniature Wirehaired Dachshunds Autosomal recessive – disease mutation identified
    Standard Poodle Simple recessive autosomal trait with complete or almost complete penetrance.'
    I recieved my reply from Dr Rushbridge after this on 30/1/10
    'The gene had unfortunately not been identified in the GSD - and neither has
    the inheritance. I am not sure if anybody is actually looking at this in the GSD breed other than storing blood / DNA in the hope of future studies. To investigate the inheritance would require a good breed club cooperation such as with the Belgian Shepherd club in Denmark.'