My ears, my ears... Photos

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by mjfromga, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    "Continue on puppy diet until 1 year of age" ??? My pups have always gone onto adult food at ~5 months - except Tikki of course as she has been raw fed since she was weaned.

Was that the first time Malone had been to the vet? Because if not, what on earth were they doing palpating this, checking that, etc etc etc. And even if it was the first time, what vet in their right mind would set up the puppy to being scared of all vets by doing all that? In all the years I have had dogs I have never had any puppy poked and prodded like that.

Do they know what they are doing because apart from anything else they have twice noted that they sent a container home for a faecal sample. And how many DHLPP boosters do they give there? I cannot remember how many my puppies used to have way back when, but these days they only need two, then yearly boosters.

I do not know anything about Heartworm as luckily we do not have it here, but since Parkworm arrived in this area I have no hesitation in Tikki having have to have a preventative shot every three months. With so many stray/dumped/loose dogs wandering about, I am not prepared to risk anything.

"I explained to owner" - "gave warning" - they could have been a bit less officious in their notes. It sounds like they did not like Malone, and did not like you because you did not agree with them. Pah. I get hugs from my vet, not officious things like that written in their notes.

I do hope you can find a decent vet asap.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Malone had been there many times. When I asked about what all she was doing... She said puppies need full exams each time the vet sees them.

Malone has been given TWO full vaccines and THREE boosters and he is just over 16 weeks. He doesn't need anymore. I told her I did not want them so close together and she INSISTED on it.

They were very pushy and when I refused - which clearly they aren't used to - they became more insistent. He had 3 fecals done. His poop has been totally normal since he was treated for coccidia.

I no longer think they have Malone's best interests at heart so I have removed him from their care.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Blimey Myra, I've never in my life seen such inept vets.

You do right finding another vet for him. Explain how he reacts before you go and make sure that they know that you will be the one to restrain him. Also explain that he needs patience not force.

The number of vaccs he's had is way beyond the norm and as for her not wanting to microchip him, that's just plain ridiculous. She's been willing to excessively vaccinate, but not microchip which is very, very similar. My girl was microchipped at the same time as her first vaccination and she felt neither of them.
  5. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I am glad to see that I am not the only one to find their claims and stuff absurd. She just REALLY wanted to neuter my dog. Microchipping isn't hard or truly painful.

3 people trying to restrain a 26 lb puppy is ridiculous. He was so upset. I was annoyed they didn't ask for my help. But I am done with them.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What the... "puppies need full exams each time the vet sees them." - since when? Puppies do NOT need full exams each time the vet sees them but of course it is a good excuse to charge more from the client.

As for needing three people to try to restrain a 26lb puppy just shows how inept they are. I would have thought that during a vet's training they would have been taught how to handle an animal without it having to be restrained. I also do not understand why they did not ask for your help, after all he is your puppy and you know how to handle him.

I would be flaming mad if anyone treated my dog like that.
  7. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I will admit that Malone can be a handful. He has a bossy temperament and he can be rebellious... But he is just a puppy. They did not handle him properly. What they were doing only further upset him and made the situation worse.